The Idea of a God Is Not So Crazy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2014, 01:16 PM
RE: The Idea of a God Is Not So Crazy
(16-04-2014 01:00 PM)elconquistador Wrote:  I retract my idea.

... It's fun to play games like this. Don't ever feel that you shouldn't throw out half-formed half-baked weird ideas for discussion, that's all good. The most important thing to learn is how to refine half-baked stuff into good hard testable ideas, or how to decide that they're not worth bothering with, and throwing it open for discussion *provided that you learn from that discussion* is a very good place to start Smile

Wecloem to teh furom.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
16-04-2014, 01:17 PM
(16-04-2014 01:07 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 01:00 PM)elconquistador Wrote:  Yes, I used theism and deism enter changeably because they both imply the same thing in common: a cause.
*interchangeably

(16-04-2014 01:00 PM)elconquistador Wrote:  But anyways, after reading this and recieving comments on another forum my idea is completely void and mute, or rather, irrelevant now.
*receiving

(16-04-2014 01:04 PM)elconquistador Wrote:  Thank you so much for you input.
*your

[Image: 0t82Piy.png]

Way to break the new guy in slick. Laugh out load

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
16-04-2014, 01:17 PM
(16-04-2014 01:00 PM)elconquistador Wrote:  Yes, I used theism and deism enter changeably because they both imply the same thing in common: a cause.
*interchangeably

(16-04-2014 01:00 PM)elconquistador Wrote:  But anyways, after reading this and recieving comments on another forum my idea is completely void and mute, or rather, irrelevant now.
*receiving

*your

*fuck you

Big Grin

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
16-04-2014, 01:24 PM
(16-04-2014 12:39 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  It all seemed very sensible and stuff but you did slip one line inbetween all of it which seems to be the crux of your argument and which, if I was being unkind, may describe as a line you do not want to draw attention to.

Quote:That being said, I think it is inherently unavoidable to come upon the idea of a god or creator.

Could you elaborate on this please.

Absolutely. As shown by history, theism, superstition, and religion has been an unavoidable inclination of the human race. I've seen theists and atheists alike go back in forth. It's almost as if it is inherently unavoidable to think about a god, afterlife, ect. That's why I'm saying it's not too crazy because eventually every human being has to stumble upon the question and answer it for himself.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."- Albert Einstein.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Steven Hawking
16-04-2014, 01:27 PM
*interchangeably

*receiving

*your

i supose i mus start pruf reeding my posts than, shudent i? thank u for the correctshuns. Smile

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."- Albert Einstein.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Steven Hawking
[+] 4 users Like elconquistador's post
16-04-2014, 01:29 PM
(16-04-2014 01:16 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 01:00 PM)elconquistador Wrote:  I retract my idea.

... It's fun to play games like this. Don't ever feel that you shouldn't throw out half-formed half-baked weird ideas for discussion, that's all good. The most important thing to learn is how to refine half-baked stuff into good hard testable ideas, or how to decide that they're not worth bothering with, and throwing it open for discussion *provided that you learn from that discussion* is a very good place to start Smile

Wecloem to teh furom.

Thank you so much. I totally agree. Smile

16-04-2014, 01:40 PM
(16-04-2014 01:24 PM)elconquistador Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 12:39 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  It all seemed very sensible and stuff but you did slip one line inbetween all of it which seems to be the crux of your argument and which, if I was being unkind, may describe as a line you do not want to draw attention to.

Could you elaborate on this please.

Absolutely. As shown by history, theism, superstition, and religion has been an unavoidable inclination of the human race. I've seen theists and atheists alike go back in forth. It's almost as if it is inherently unavoidable to think about a god, afterlife, ect. That's why I'm saying it's not too crazy because eventually every human being has to stumble upon the question and answer it for himself.

I don't know that that's a justifiable claim.

Real data would be controlled data - human societies without outside contact. And there's no such thing... Some form of religious belief predates (so far as we can tell) any founder populations - it's tens of thousands of years old.

I might go along as far as saying some form of theist belief is likely (not necessary) when there are no compelling alternatives (ie, pre-modern societies with no scientific understanding), but that's just an outgrowth of our vaunted pattern recognition - false pattern implies false cause, an agent is a possible cause. You can train the same superstitions into pigeons, and nobody's saying they're theists.

But if you want further anecdata, I can say as someone raised without any religion that while the same sorts of questions always occurred to me (who, what, where, when, and why, as applied to myself, human beings, and the universe in general) there sure as fuck was never a moment when I thought the answer was "I don't know THEREFORE SKY DADDY".

But maybe that's just because most people aren't lucky enough to be taught that "I don't know X, therefore I do know X, because I don't know not-X" is the logical equivalent of fixing a clogged pipe by shitting into it.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
16-04-2014, 01:49 PM
(16-04-2014 01:16 PM)morondog Wrote:  ....
Wecloem to teh furom.

Morondog: making Vosur's head explode, one sentence at a time. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
16-04-2014, 01:53 PM
What we don't know, we don't know and made up bullshit will always be made up bullshit.
So I disagree, the Idea of a God is actually very crazy.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 3 users Like sporehux's post
16-04-2014, 02:00 PM
This post feels like déjà vu. Did I just read this at AF?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.