The Idiocy Of An Angry Or Jealous God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2014, 11:35 PM
The Idiocy Of An Angry Or Jealous God
I do not understand how people can think that a god who is jealous and condemns people to eternal damnation comes across as anything less than sheer idiocy.

Let me get this Christian argument straight: The Christian god is the creator of the universe. He is all-powerful, all-seeing, and all-knowing. He gets angry when people don't worship him, or defy his word, and sentences those people to eternal damnation...even though he knew what those people were going to do before they were even born. Why do so many people lack the ability to see the stupidity in this scenario?

This is the equivalent of lining up a whole bunch of dominoes in a row with just a tiny space in between them, then knocking over the one at the back, and then getting pissed off that all the dominoes in front of it got knocked down too. You set it up, you know what is going to happen, you do it anyway, and then you get pissed off when the result is exactly what you knew it would be. Seriously, is the Christian god really that stupid and childish?

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
05-09-2014, 11:42 PM
RE: The Idiocy Of An Angry Or Jealous God
Because they will believe in anything their book and pastors tell them to. It makes sense to them even if the logic behind it doesn't. You could make the same argument against pretty much anything their religion is based on. If God knew Eve was going to bite the apple why not just change the plan instead of letting it happen. If he knew Jesus was going to be crucified why let it happen and not prevent it, he can do anything right?

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
05-09-2014, 11:46 PM
(05-09-2014 11:35 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  ---
---
Seriously, is the Christian god really that stupid and childish?

No, just nonexistent. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 8 users Like kim's post
06-09-2014, 03:12 AM
It is because that if you do not believe what the pastor says. You won't be a member of their church. If there are no members, there is no money. So of course the pastor is going to brainwash people and use fear tactics and persecution or even violence to force people to give them money....I mean believe in their god.

The more people you scare into your religion, the more money you will have.

Simple.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 2 users Like Shadow Fox's post
06-09-2014, 04:18 AM
There seems to be this general problem where theists have a hard time really grasping the concepts of "all powerful", "all seeing", and "all knowing". They don't really think about the potential at all. To them God's powers are "can kind of sway events a bit to one side".

(05-09-2014 11:42 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  If he knew Jesus was going to be crucified why let it happen and not prevent it, he can do anything right?

I think that one has the excuse that he actually wanted it to happen. For some reason.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
06-09-2014, 05:52 AM
(05-09-2014 11:35 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I do not understand how people can think that a god who is jealous and condemns people to eternal damnation comes across as anything less than sheer idiocy.

Let me get this Christian argument straight: The Christian god is the creator of the universe. He is all-powerful, all-seeing, and all-knowing. He gets angry when people don't worship him, or defy his word, and sentences those people to eternal damnation...even though he knew what those people were going to do before they were even born. Why do so many people lack the ability to see the stupidity in this scenario?

This is the equivalent of lining up a whole bunch of dominoes in a row with just a tiny space in between them, then knocking over the one at the back, and then getting pissed off that all the dominoes in front of it got knocked down too. You set it up, you know what is going to happen, you do it anyway, and then you get pissed off when the result is exactly what you knew it would be. Seriously, is the Christian god really that stupid and childish?

Let me put on my my former christian apologists hat- "You see god doesn't want robots, he wants people to exercise free will and if they don't make the right choice that a loving god provides, then you will suffer the consequences - He does not wish for anyone to go to hell!"

If you don't buy their smarmy, flawed excuses, then all you see is a brutal tyrant that offers you a deal you can't refuse -turn or burn!Evil_monster

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
06-09-2014, 06:13 AM
(06-09-2014 04:18 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I think that one has the excuse that he actually wanted it to happen. For some reason.

couldn't he just have jumped of a cliff and get the romans to watch it, its not like there would be any difference
06-09-2014, 06:19 AM
why in hell would a perfect being ant something so trivial as being worshiped by inferior creatures ?

nothing and I mean nothing in their damn book makes a shred of sense, even cartoons makes more sense than that damn book
[+] 2 users Like Ace's post
06-09-2014, 06:26 AM
It's like Muslim said the other day: God created good and evil. He wanted conflict and he wanted strife. He wanted a choice. He wanted a war. He is the source and cause of evil in this world. But his side is the good side. I mean: Why wouldn't his side be the good side? He's God, right? And God's side is the good side.

As for being jealous, no. There is no defence for that flaw in a god. Most Christians try to rationalise this as being that he can't stand evil and must be apart from it. That's despite Exodus 20, 34, etc of course. If he's really jealous he fails the omni properties outlined in the problem of evil.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
06-09-2014, 06:38 AM
(06-09-2014 06:26 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  As for being jealous, no. There is no defence for that flaw in a god.

Do you mean there's no defence for the claim that he is jelous or no stance of which a Christian could take to defend the flaw? ( Probably the second but I just had to be clear).

As Christopher Hitchens said (I have such a hard on for quoting him) we were "Created sick and commanded to be well."

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
[+] 3 users Like SunnyD1's post