The Impossible Voyage of Noah's Ark

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2013, 02:40 PM
The Impossible Voyage of Noah's Ark
In my off time I had been writing a paper on the absurdity of the story of Noah's Ark but Eugenie Scott's group The Center for Science Education beat me to it. You can read the entire paper (43 pages!!!) by clicking here.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2013, 02:46 PM
RE: The Impossible Voyage of Noah's Ark
(10-05-2013 02:40 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  In my off time I had been writing a paper on the absurdity of the story of Noah's Ark but Eugenie Scott's group The Center for Science Education beat me to it. You can read the entire paper (43 pages!!!) by clicking here.

Yah, they beat you to it by 30 years. Don't you hate that when it happens?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-05-2013, 03:01 PM
(10-05-2013 02:40 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  In my off time I had been writing a paper on the absurdity of the story of Noah's Ark but Eugenie Scott's group The Center for Science Education beat me to it. You can read the entire paper (43 pages!!!) by clicking here.

Didn't read the whole article, but a couple other problems .. maybe they talk about it.
1. The skill of shipbuilding was not developed in the geographical area, in which Noah was described as having inhabited. He/they were not sea-faring people. They would not have had the skills, to build or operate a ship. There are no (what would be) antecedent or post-facto examples of any (at all) large boats/ships fragments in the area. It simply would have been a total cultural anomaly. That sort of thing does not happen, out of the blue.
2. There is no widespread silt layer, anywhere in the area, especially in Turkey, where Mt. Ararat is located. There was no large flood there. There also is no generalized large silt layer in the Levant, (ancient Israel). It's a widely excavated area by archaeologists. There is no silt layer, from a large flood, anywhere, that could/would coincide with the time period.
3. The coincidental elements with the Epic of Gilgamesh, Tablet 11, are too coincidental for the story to be original.
http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/meso.../tab11.htm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
10-05-2013, 03:30 PM
NonStampCollector's videos about the Ark have a funny take on the impossibility of the whole enterprise as well:

http://www.youtube.com/user/NonStampCollector
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist_pilgrim's post
10-05-2013, 09:27 PM
I'm still plowing through the paper– it's very comprehensive.
So far, though, there was no mention of the shortage of water in our hydrosphere. According to the U.S. Geologic surveys the total planetary water falls considerably short of the amount necessary to cover Earth above the highest mountain.

Also, this flood allegedly occurred during both the ancient Sumerian and ancient Egyptian civilizations. Yet both not only survived, but never bothered to mention it.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
16-05-2013, 07:40 PM
I had a talk with a xian a few weeks ago about Noah. I asked how the sloth made its way to South America and how all the carnivorous plants survived and got a vile response.

I have saved your talk and am working my way through it.

Greetings carbon-based bipeds. - Arthur Clarke
The stars died so you could be here today. - Lawrence Krauss
Mathematics is the language of nature. - Lawrence Krauss
I care to live only to entice people to look at Nature's loveliness. - John Muir
17-05-2013, 08:29 AM
(16-05-2013 07:40 PM)wisergeek Wrote:  I had a talk with a xian a few weeks ago about Noah. I asked how the sloth made its way to South America and how all the carnivorous plants survived and got a vile response.

I have saved your talk and am working my way through it.

OK, how vile was it? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-05-2013, 11:36 AM
good stuff on the ark.