The Inappropriate "Thank God!"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2012, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2012 02:55 PM by Jeff.)
The Inappropriate "Thank God!"
Does anyone else do this? I will, on occasion, with the right people, say "Thank God!" out loud in response to hearing some bad news. I do it to make a point and have a laugh, even if I'm the only one who finds it funny. For example, we're watching the news and there's a story about a tree falling down and crushing a car. I'll let out a "Well, thank god!" and then when I get the look from someone just state confidently that "it's all part of god's plan! GoooooOOOOOO God!" or something similar. Anyone else share my lunacy?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
16-07-2012, 02:56 PM
RE: The Inappropriate "Thank God!"
(16-07-2012 02:52 PM)Jeff Wrote:  Does anyone else do this? I will, on occasion, with the right people, say "Thank God!" out loud in response to hearing some bad news. I do it to make a point and have a laugh, even if I'm the only one who finds it funny. For example, we're watching the news and there's a story about a tree falling down and crushing a car. I'll let out a "Well, thank god!" and then when I get the look from someone just state confidently that "it's all part of god's plan! GoooooOOOOOO God!" or something similar. Anyone else share my lunacy?
I like it, though it could get you punched in the face. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-07-2012, 03:11 PM
(16-07-2012 02:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-07-2012 02:52 PM)Jeff Wrote:  Does anyone else do this? I will, on occasion, with the right people, say "Thank God!" out loud in response to hearing some bad news. I do it to make a point and have a laugh, even if I'm the only one who finds it funny. For example, we're watching the news and there's a story about a tree falling down and crushing a car. I'll let out a "Well, thank god!" and then when I get the look from someone just state confidently that "it's all part of god's plan! GoooooOOOOOO God!" or something similar. Anyone else share my lunacy?

I like it, though it could get you punched in the face. Consider

Well, how Christian of them. Dodgy
16-07-2012, 05:43 PM
I just always tell them that the correct phrase is oh my cat

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
16-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Not any more, now it's 'thank fuck for that'! Big Grin

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
16-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Thank god is just an expletive that's taken root over the centuries.

What gets my goat though is "praise the lord".

I used to have a secretary who drove me nuts despite her efficiency at her job.

I would occasionally reward her with a bonus or a watch or something for a job well done. She would look at it and shout (and I mean shout) "Praise the Lord".

Really rubbed me the wrong way, I was the one giving the gift. After a bit I decided to let god do the rewarding and quit giving her stuff.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
16-07-2012, 10:13 PM
I usually say "Sweet Jesus (in a goofy voice)" or "Thank the fucking lord" followed by a giggle. Not that I go around shouting this, but it is fun to say from time to time.

Justin
17-07-2012, 08:49 AM
In my country we use stuff like that all the time, without any religious belief. I can ramble up a few:

Takk gud! = Thank god! - Basically just an extension that something good happened or ended well.
Helvette! = Hell . Cursing, nothing to do with a fiery place. Same with the next one!
Satan! Nothing to do with the devil, just another swear word.
Herre Gud/Jesus = Not sure how to translate it, Lord god/jesus is the direct one but Praise the Lord I think is most apt. Usually said with slight sarcasm at something stupid/silly.

Norwegians have alot of christian rituals in our culture, but we're basically just going through the motions without any religious meaning behind it.
17-07-2012, 12:28 PM
This to me goes with the , "bless you" after a sneeze. Just can't stop it.

Before you see the light, you must die!
Through the fear you're sold into the fraud
It's my obsession, to treat (g)od like an infection
17-07-2012, 07:28 PM

You're my kind of asshole. Funny as hell. I'm going to steal your idea if you don't mind. Laughat

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post