The Insanity and Insecurity of Christian Forum Members and Staff

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Bug The Insanity and Insecurity of Christian Forum Members and Staff
I recently tried to join a Christian forum called christianforums.net and was met with ardent opposition from the staff. The moderator that was to approve my first couple posts sent a message where she emphasized her intolerance for having anything but reverence and unquestioned loyalty to Jesus and her god, let alone the dogmatic position she took toward controversial and metaphysical ideas. Well, since I was totally banned from the site forever, I have no way of retrieving my posts (which I think were pretty damn well written). After a few messages where she outlined her bigotry and dogmatism, she banned me after I sent this message:

Quote:All I see is you pointing out the things that you don't like and the things you find offensive. You want to monitor the way people talk about your precious Jesus and god, and that is completely unethical.
Also, I absolutely love the way you try to play off the crusades and inquisitions as if they are irrelevant to the discussion on religion. Those events are extremely important because it shows what happens when you install theocracies where there should be secular government led by the people. Then, you try and discount human rights as a thing that should be debated, which it isn't. Everyone has the right to express themselves the way they feel like, and the fact that there is so much discussion of if you should LET them have that right is utterly appalling. Finally, in the last red comment, you admit to being a slave and mindless follower of your holy book. All I was suggested was that you should think for yourself but you apparently found that offensive.

Your appeals to majority, tradition, and emotion are utter nonsense. In any forum I should be able to express myself freely about the topic no matter what side I am on as long as I don't attack anyone personally. And no, an attack on a belief system like Christianity is not a personal attack on you or anyone else. The way you regard the existence of metaphysical things like heaven and hell is disappointing. If I want to call Jesus a charlatan and challenge the existence of metaphysical things that you accept as doctrine I should be able to. The fact that it angers you so much that you need to ban my posts is not only disheartening but irresponsible to the forum principal.

Another note on the Inquisitions: It was people like you that sentenced people to be horribly tortured to measures that we can only imagine for days on end all because the prosecutors found offense in the harmless words of the convicted about religion. Your opinion that the inquisitions should be forgotten makes me speechless and worried. Thousands of people died because of the the kinds of things I said, and for those people that died for the cause of secularism and atheism I will not bow down to authority or a Terms of Service that annexes my freedom of speech.

If you are brave watch this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u_Jpm8MASg. I ask you, would you ban him too?

This woman actually tried to play off the events of the crusades and the inquisitions as if they should be forgotten and have no impact on life today. She goes on to say that I have no right questioning the authority of the "32% of the population" which are Christian. And, of course, she tells me how I can talk about Jesus and her god. The question is, how will we atheists and secularists topple the institution of religious belief if we are met with this kind of blatant denial of free speech on public forums? What should be done on the internet to spread the word of enlightenment and rational thinking?

[Image: g-HitchensThinkSelf.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes elegant_atheist's post
25-07-2013, 09:33 PM
I'm in shock that they would do such a thing.

Not. Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 6 users Like Erxomai's post
25-07-2013, 09:55 PM
RE: The Insanity and Insecurity of Christian Forum Members and Staff
What Erxy said.

But yeah, that's why I don't visit xian forums.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
25-07-2013, 10:04 PM
(25-07-2013 09:55 PM)amyb Wrote:  What Erxy said.

But yeah, that's why I don't visit xian forums.

I did once because I thought it would be fun to dick with them. Turns out it's not.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
25-07-2013, 10:16 PM
I don't go to those types of forums -- I don't see the point -- it's not like I need to better understand them or their world view. I was one of them for a long time.

I also don't want to continue the stereotype that we all intolerant to their views.

If they want to come here and ask questions I'm fine with that (everyone needs to come to atheism on their own), but if they act like assholes -- they'll get a "shoo fly" from me.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
25-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Limitation of free speech...

While I agree with you in principle... even here we have had major flare-ups over banning of people with controversial views... It doesn't happen that often but it does happen.

An internet forum is not a public space in the sense that a soapbox in a public square is. It is owned and maintained by someone who is free to make the rules there as they see fit, also the existing forum community might play a part. It might seem unfair but then... it's not like you pay anything to be a member (at least, I doubt you pay at ChristianForums).
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
25-07-2013, 11:14 PM
(25-07-2013 11:01 PM)morondog Wrote:  Limitation of free speech...

While I agree with you in principle... even here we have had major flare-ups over banning of people with controversial views... It doesn't happen that often but it does happen.

An internet forum is not a public space in the sense that a soapbox in a public square is. It is owned and maintained by someone who is free to make the rules there as they see fit, also the existing forum community might play a part. It might seem unfair but then... it's not like you pay anything to be a member (at least, I doubt you pay at ChristianForums).

Forums should be open places where ideas can flow easily. Censorship is so counter productive that I wonder why they even set up the forum to begin with. All it shows when they ban people is that they can't handle any amount of argument that contradicts their own.

25-07-2013, 11:22 PM
One of the main reasons why I've stuck around... TTA is way more accepting and tolerant than mainstream Christians... I get along better with atheists than your typical Christian.

A lot of Christians have the nasty habit of judging people.

Another bad habit they have is either ignoring or silencing anyone with an opposing view... that's one of the single most obnoxious things a Christian can do during a discussion.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
25-07-2013, 11:26 PM
I joined christianforums.net for a little while, it was kind of OK, they did have an exclusive Christian section and then if you wanted to discuss the controversial topic of homosexuality, even just amicably. They shut it down straight away.
So I left on principle because I think it is not fair to gay people obviously, can't even talk about it seems a bit strange really.

I have heard others say that they only really want Christian members.

I have belonged to phatmass phorum for a while too. Don't participate that much now days. It is hardcore Catholic. They don't ban any conversations.
Some of them are hard core Gun fanatics e.g. anti any kind of gun restriction, but otherwise there are some pretty decent people there to talk to.
Really it just depends if you go with an open mind or if you go there being a dick.
I've never had any warnings or bannings there.
25-07-2013, 11:38 PM
(25-07-2013 11:26 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I joined christianforums.net for a little while, it was kind of OK, they did have an exclusive Christian section and then if you wanted to discuss the controversial topic of homosexuality, even just amicably. They shut it down straight away.
So I left on principle because I think it is not fair to gay people obviously, can't even talk about it seems a bit strange really.

I have heard others say that they only really want Christian members.

I have belonged to phatmass phorum for a while too. Don't participate that much now days. It is hardcore Catholic. They don't ban any conversations.
Some of them are hard core Gun fanatics e.g. anti any kind of gun restriction, but otherwise there are some pretty decent people there to talk to.
Really it just depends if you go with an open mind or if you go there being a dick.
I've never had any warnings or bannings there.

Well I like to really challenge religious belief by hitting them with the really hard questions. I don't show sympathy for anything they say because I don't tolerate nonsense. I also don't give breaks to "moderate" religious people either since they probably contribute most to the spread of the nonsense anyway when they indoctrinate their kids. Respect for religious belief is not something I advocate for atheism to embrace.