The Insanity and Insecurity of Christian Forum Members and Staff

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2013, 11:44 PM
RE: The Insanity and Insecurity of Christian Forum Members and Staff
(25-07-2013 11:38 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  Well I like to really challenge religious belief by hitting them with the really hard questions. I don't show sympathy for anything they say because I don't tolerate nonsense. I also don't give breaks to "moderate" religious people either since they probably contribute most to the spread of the nonsense anyway when they indoctrinate their kids. Respect for religious belief is not something I advocate for atheism to embrace.
It's fine to challenge people, of course, fine to ask the hard questions. Although I don't think you will ever get a satisfying answer.
I go to the Christian site to learn about them, maybe to break some misconceptions I might have. But that's me.
I do consider the theists somewhat as victims, they have been taught to believe in the religion. Belief is a very difficult thing for a person to break.

Most people believe in morality and when I try and tell them it is a belief that I don't have, they think I am crazy. Go figure.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2013, 11:48 PM
(25-07-2013 11:22 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  One of the main reasons why I've stuck around... TTA is way more accepting and tolerant than mainstream Christians... I get along better with atheists than your typical Christian.

A lot of Christians have the nasty habit of judging people.

Another bad habit they have is either ignoring or silencing anyone with an opposing view... that's one of the single most obnoxious things a Christian can do during a discussion.

Ya but you're not an asshole. I doubt you would have lasted long here had you been.

Religious types like yourself aren't a problem.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

25-07-2013, 11:58 PM
(25-07-2013 11:44 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 11:38 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  Well I like to really challenge religious belief by hitting them with the really hard questions. I don't show sympathy for anything they say because I don't tolerate nonsense. I also don't give breaks to "moderate" religious people either since they probably contribute most to the spread of the nonsense anyway when they indoctrinate their kids. Respect for religious belief is not something I advocate for atheism to embrace.
It's fine to challenge people, of course, fine to ask the hard questions. Although I don't think you will ever get a satisfying answer.
I go to the Christian site to learn about them, maybe to break some misconceptions I might have. But that's me.
I do consider the theists somewhat as victims, they have been taught to believe in the religion. Belief is a very difficult thing for a person to break.

Most people believe in morality and when I try and tell them it is a belief that I don't have, they think I am crazy. Go figure.

We atheists ask difficult questions and never get satisfying answers because our standard of evidence and overall rationality are in another world when compared to theists. Christians expect you too bow before their doctrine and tradition because it makes perfect sense to them. It is almost the same for them as when we present our evidence for evolution and the big bang with confidence and gusto. The difference lies in the fact that they don't understand the need for evidence, therefore their stories make sense to them while it doesn't to us. Also, our evidence goes right over their heads because they don't understand it and end up reverting back to their scripture.

Some people don't possess critical thinking skills or rationality. This is why religions greatest weapon, indoctrination of the young, is so effective. By the time the kids grow up and have the opportunity to think for themselves, they are not able to dig themselves out of the rut of the doctrine dictated to them all throughout their life from their role models. Thus, the vicious cycle rinses and repeats.

Also, what do you mean by not believing in morality? Do you mean Christian morality or do yo mean you don't believe in morals at all? just curious

[Image: g-HitchensThinkSelf.gif]
26-07-2013, 12:03 AM
(25-07-2013 11:48 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 11:22 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  One of the main reasons why I've stuck around... TTA is way more accepting and tolerant than mainstream Christians... I get along better with atheists than your typical Christian.

A lot of Christians have the nasty habit of judging people.

Another bad habit they have is either ignoring or silencing anyone with an opposing view... that's one of the single most obnoxious things a Christian can do during a discussion.

Ya but you're not an asshole. I doubt you would have lasted long here had you been.

That's the thing though, I don't think basis for banning someone should be based around if they are offensive. People should be able to say exactly how they feel about beliefs and the kinds of people that hold those beliefs.

26-07-2013, 12:19 AM
(26-07-2013 12:03 AM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 11:48 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Ya but you're not an asshole. I doubt you would have lasted long here had you been.

That's the thing though, I don't think basis for banning someone should be based around if they are offensive. People should be able to say exactly how they feel about beliefs and the kinds of people that hold those beliefs.

Being offensive is one thing, antagonistic is something else. I think maybe (and I don't know because I don't go to those sites) people jump the gun on banning because they're afraid or have a sense that someone will go from being simply merely offensive to antagonizing members and thereby causing a forum disruption. There are also a good number of Christians who are also banned from religious forums -- probably because they can't take a hint.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

26-07-2013, 12:27 AM
(26-07-2013 12:19 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 12:03 AM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  That's the thing though, I don't think basis for banning someone should be based around if they are offensive. People should be able to say exactly how they feel about beliefs and the kinds of people that hold those beliefs.

Being offensive is one thing, antagonistic is something else. I think maybe (and I don't know because I don't go to those sites) people jump the gun on banning because they're afraid or have a sense that someone will go from being simply merely offensive to antagonizing members and thereby causing a forum disruption. There are also a good number of Christians who are also banned from religious forums -- probably because they can't take a hint.

Yes I see what you mean, the border between constructive/honest criticism and plain trolling. That's a very good point, I never thought of it that way.
That moderator I was talking about in my original post accused me or being off topic and antagonizing her but I don't think she understood the difference between the two instances mentioned previously.

26-07-2013, 12:59 AM
(25-07-2013 11:58 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  We atheists ask difficult questions and never get satisfying answers because our standard of evidence and overall rationality are in another world when compared to theists.

I beg to differ. That's a general and untrue statement... maybe a lot of times you don't get a straight answer, but to say atheists never get a straight answer is false.

I realize you were probably being hyperbolic and using a figure of speech, but be careful how you communicate absolutes.

I have a 2500 post thread of me giving direct and straight answers.

Quote:Christians expect you too bow before their doctrine and tradition because it makes perfect sense to them.

Some do... some don't. There are many like myself that don't shove Bibles down people's throats.

Quote:It is almost the same for them as when we present our evidence for evolution and the big bang with confidence and gusto. The difference lies in the fact that they don't understand the need for evidence, therefore their stories make sense to them while it doesn't to us. Also, our evidence goes right over their heads because they don't understand it and end up reverting back to their scripture.

That's a very broad, sweeping and pretentious statement. Again, not all Christians are like this... there is actually a large population of Christians that accept evolution and fight along side atheists to get the others to accept it.

It is pretentious because you are demeaning another's belief system and elevating yours to a place that's deemed infallible. I understand that you think you're right, but what makes your opinion hold more weight than someone else's? Don't you see the double standard here?

I'm not saying agree with the person... you can be vehemently opposed, but there is a difference between that and belittling someone because of their beliefs.

The implications of your words are you're more rational, intelligent, and a better critical thinker than Christians. I would be willing to put myself against you to show you that's not at all the case.

A wise atheist can see this and embrace this... it is critical in understanding others and how different people think.

When conversing with people, I try to follow this general rule:

I am not better than anyone. My beliefs are not better than someone else's. My opinions are not more important than another's. All people are equal and deserve respect when they convey their beliefs.

Obviously there is a caveat there; if a person proves himself to be a complete jerk, then respect is forfeited.

Didn't mean to jump on a soap box and come at you, I just wanted to help you understand others and how to effectively communicate in a gumbo of beliefs.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
26-07-2013, 01:58 AM
(25-07-2013 11:14 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  Forums should be open places where ideas can flow easily. Censorship is so counter productive that I wonder why they even set up the forum to begin with. All it shows when they ban people is that they can't handle any amount of argument that contradicts their own.

The *purpose* of Christian forums in general is I imagine not to encourage free flow of ideas. It's like a church, a place where believers congregate to strengthen their faith. They're not *wanting* contradiction or challenge, they want a safe place where they can all be happy together... Rolleyes
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
26-07-2013, 02:07 AM
(26-07-2013 12:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  The implications of your words are you're more rational, intelligent, and a better critical thinker than Christians. I would be willing to put myself against you to show you that's not at all the case.

... This should be fun Big Grin You can start by discussing the local flood interpretation of the Noah's ark story Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
26-07-2013, 03:31 AM
(25-07-2013 11:58 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  It is almost the same for them as when we present our evidence for evolution and the big bang with confidence and gusto. The difference lies in the fact that they don't understand the need for evidence, therefore their stories make sense to them while it doesn't to us. Also, our evidence goes right over their heads because they don't understand it and end up reverting back to their scripture.
There are many very intelligent theists. Intelligence is not a distinguishing feature between theists and atheists. There are millions of Christians whom understand and agree with evolution.

I'm not sure where you are from, but if I were surrounded by YEC's or IDers I would have very negative thoughts about Christians. Luckily for me I live in a secular and moderate country.
(25-07-2013 11:58 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  Also, what do you mean by not believing in morality? Do you mean Christian morality or do yo mean you don't believe in morals at all? just curious
I have no moral beliefs at all. I am very proud to say that I have no morals.