The Insanity and Insecurity of Christian Forum Members and Staff

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2013, 05:52 PM
RE: The Insanity and Insecurity of Christian Forum Members and Staff
(31-07-2013 05:31 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(31-07-2013 05:30 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  I wasn't trying to convince anyone, I was just giving my opinion.

The more hostility you attach to your opinion, the less people take you seriously.

That is quite possibly the most poignant thing I've ever heard you say.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2013, 05:54 PM
(31-07-2013 05:52 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  That is quite possibly the most poignant thing I've ever heard you say.

Well that makes me want to seriously reconsider my typical rhetoric. Blink

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
31-07-2013, 06:01 PM
(31-07-2013 05:31 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(31-07-2013 05:30 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  I wasn't trying to convince anyone, I was just giving my opinion.

The more hostility you attach to your opinion, the less people take you seriously.

If you don't like the opinions I give then you are free to do whatever you like with them. Although, I'm not about to go kiss up to people in order for them to be convinced or take me seriously, that just isn't my personality. This is probably the reason I became so attached to Hitchens and TJ when I was younger, because they didn't care if you felt respected or secure when they spoke about something. They came at you with full force and never beat around the bush to make sure your feelings weren't hurt. People like that made me reconsider my views of theism much more than passive orators like Sam Harris. This is just a personality trait that may be much different than everyone else, the fact that "in your face" arguments are much more effective on me than considerate, passive ones.

[Image: g-HitchensThinkSelf.gif]
31-07-2013, 06:02 PM
(31-07-2013 06:01 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  If you don't like the opinions I give then you are free to do whatever you like with them.

I am not critiquing your damned opinion. I am advising you to change your presentation style if you don't want people to treat you like an immature ideologue. Drinking Beverage

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
31-07-2013, 06:14 PM
(31-07-2013 05:54 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(31-07-2013 05:52 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  That is quite possibly the most poignant thing I've ever heard you say.

Well that makes me want to seriously reconsider my typical rhetoric. Blink

No no.

It's a good thing.

31-07-2013, 06:15 PM
(31-07-2013 06:02 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(31-07-2013 06:01 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  If you don't like the opinions I give then you are free to do whatever you like with them.

I am not critiquing your damned opinion. I am advising you to change your presentation style if you don't want people to treat you like an immature ideologue. Drinking Beverage

I don't give a damn what you advise me to do. You are the one that specifically told me twice that your opinions were fact. Nothing you say will ever be taken seriously by me whatever your "presentation style" is. To me you are just an old man that likes to argue about everything and anything.

31-07-2013, 06:17 PM
(31-07-2013 06:02 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  

Yeah, what LH said.

More often than not, people won't harshly critique your opinion but the way you present that opinion. We see this time and time again with theists (and sometimes over zealous atheists).

31-07-2013, 06:20 PM
(31-07-2013 06:17 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(31-07-2013 06:02 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I am not critiquing your damned opinion. I am advising you to change your presentation style if you don't want people to treat you like an immature ideologue. Drinking Beverage

Yeah, what LH said.

More often than not, people won't harshly critique your opinion but the way you present that opinion. We see this time and time again with theists (and sometimes over zealous atheists).

Again, if I wanted advice from you I would ask. I will learn from my own mistakes and I implore you to not try to hand me down advice.

31-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Hitchens was confrontational, I highly admire him.

But he was also elegant and sophisticated in his approach. If you want to go down that road you have a lot of learning to do.
31-07-2013, 06:33 PM
(31-07-2013 06:27 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Hitchens was confrontational, I highly admire him.

But he was also elegant and sophisticated in his approach. If you want to go down that road you have a lot of learning to do.

Well considering that he was at least 21 when he started writing and about 30 when he hit it big, I think that I still have a chance to make it maybe to half the brilliance he had. Big Grin Wouldn't it be hilarious if in maybe 20 years I make it big in writing like him and come back and post on here? Oh the possibilities.....