The Intelligent Design of Sneezing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2012, 07:24 PM
The Intelligent Design of Sneezing
Again, I'm very lazy and can't be bothered with Google searches. Where does sneezing fit into the evolutionary explanation? It's convenient for clearing the debris, but not at all necessary for survival, and therefore not included in the natural selection process. At what point did our species (and some animals) start reflexively blowing air out of their nose? Why is this passed on from generation to generation? Same question could apply to blinking (why didn't we evolve an eye that doesn't need the action?) or yawning. Why and how did most mammals start doing these helpful things that don't apply to survival?

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2012, 07:29 PM
RE: The Intelligent Design of Sneezing
(15-07-2012 07:24 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Again, I'm very lazy and can't be bothered with Google searches. Where does sneezing fit into the evolutionary explanation? It's convenient for clearing the debris, but not at all necessary for survival, and therefore not included in the natural selection process. At what point did our species (and some animals) start reflexively blowing air out of their nose? Why is this passed on from generation to generation? Same question could apply to blinking (why didn't we evolve an eye that doesn't need the action?) or yawning. Why and how did most mammals start doing these helpful things that don't apply to survival?
Hi. Sneezing is to expel mucus containing foreign particles or irritants and cleanse the nasal cavity (wikipedia)[font=sans-serif]. It is advantageous to sneeze because it helps fight bacteria. [/font]
[font=sans-serif]
[/font]
[font=sans-serif]
[/font]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-07-2012, 07:30 PM
For yawning, here is a good article http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/20...ulation-i/
15-07-2012, 07:33 PM
sorry for making several posts per query. But for blinking, we blink because "We have to blink to cleanse and moisten the eye. Each time the eyelids close, salty secretions from the tear glands are swept over the surface of the eye, flushing away small dust particles and lubricating the exposed portion of the eyeball. Normally we blink every four to six seconds, but in irritating conditions such as a smoke-filled room, we blink more frequently to keep the eyes clean and moist." (MSNBC)
15-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Well... I know what blinking IS. But wouldn't natural selection have favored, say, an eye that doesn't need constant cleaning? For instance, snakes have a non moving membrane to keep their eyes moist, so they don't have to blink. I guess I'm just curious why humans aren't a mixed bag, some who blink and some with membranes, etc. Since the the act is not a key to survival, it shouldn't have to be the same in all members of the species.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
15-07-2012, 08:18 PM
(15-07-2012 07:58 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Well... I know what blinking IS. But wouldn't natural selection have favored, say, an eye that doesn't need constant cleaning? For instance, snakes have a non moving membrane to keep their eyes moist, so they don't have to blink. I guess I'm just curious why humans aren't a mixed bag, some who blink and some with membranes, etc. Since the the act is not a key to survival, it shouldn't have to be the same in all members of the species.
Natural selection works with what it's got. There is no favoring of direction; what works, works.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
15-07-2012, 08:56 PM
There is no evolutionary benefit. Sneezing was created by God so people would be required to say, "God Bless You" and thus be remInded of our Creator on a regular basis.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
15-07-2012, 11:20 PM
(15-07-2012 08:56 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  There is no evolutionary benefit. Sneezing was created by God so people would be required to say, "God Bless You" and thus be remInded of our Creator on a regular basis.

And eyelids were given to us so that we could close them when we're bowing our heads in reverence. That is what I assumed when I made the thread.

Btw, your post count still frightens me. You make spam bots jealous with your relentless verbosity.

16-07-2012, 12:36 AM
What about the intelligent design of the orgasm? Consider Just sayin...

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
16-07-2012, 08:14 AM
(15-07-2012 11:20 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
(15-07-2012 08:56 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  There is no evolutionary benefit. Sneezing was created by God so people would be required to say, "God Bless You" and thus be remInded of our Creator on a regular basis.

And eyelids were given to us so that we could close them when we're bowing our heads in reverence. That is what I assumed when I made the thread.

Btw, your post count still frightens me. You make spam bots jealous with your relentless verbosity.
I have partially automated my sock puppet resulting in copious posts. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post