The Internet and atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2013, 02:47 PM
RE: The Internet and atheism
(23-12-2013 02:32 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(23-12-2013 11:37 AM)Dom Wrote:  Someone posted some stats about religion and the US population somewhere on TTA recently, and it showed among other things that the younger the group, the higher the percentage of atheists/non religious.

Today's teens are the group with the largest percentage of non believers. They also practically grew up on the internet.

To indoctrinate someone, you have to either isolate them, or put them in with a bunch of already indoctrinated people. Then the subject will hear the intended indoctrination over and over, and nothing else.

Today's youth would have to be isolated (home schooled) to be subject to indoctrination. Otherwise, today's youth is exposed to everything under the sun online.

So yes, the internet plays a role in today's increase in atheism. It interferes with indoctrination.

Not so fast. It all depends on the free west as both government and private business owners, keeping it available and fair. Business monopolies do exist. The NFL, cable companies and health care.

The technology right now, if not gamed can lead to more exposure. But look what gun manufacturers have done keeping their candy stores open. Anything can be gamed and monopolized because humans ultimately are part of every system, public and private.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Huh

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2013, 03:05 PM
(23-12-2013 02:47 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(23-12-2013 02:32 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Not so fast. It all depends on the free west as both government and private business owners, keeping it available and fair. Business monopolies do exist. The NFL, cable companies and health care.

The technology right now, if not gamed can lead to more exposure. But look what gun manufacturers have done keeping their candy stores open. Anything can be gamed and monopolized because humans ultimately are part of every system, public and private.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Huh

Any clump of money, that gets pooled big enough, can create a monopoly for whatever purpose, political, religious or business. Everything humans do requires resources. You cannot say that Fox news has not had an impact on dumbing down society. That took money. You cannot say the church during the dark ages lived in huts and ate dirt. You cannot say that the Saudi Royal Family lives on bread crumbs. You cannot say Kim Jong Un maintains his power without income.

Right now it is harder in the west to make a monopoly of media, yes. But that also depends on the ethics of the media providers and preventing the monopoly's of power.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-12-2013, 03:43 PM
Maybe true for America, However here in Blighty the church has been dead for 3 generations.
Things are accelerating now as the last generation to join the church en masse is reaching life expectancy.
Here it wasn't some outside force that caused the church to decline, the damage was done from the pulpit.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Greene's post
23-12-2013, 06:11 PM
While it's true that religion is also ubiquitous on the web, it was already readily available to kids anyway. You never had parents dragging their kids to atheist school or kids inviting other kids to atheist church. I don't think there's any question that the internet is a game changer, along with effective marketing efforts by new atheists. These and the church hanging on to dogma like its discrimination against homosexuals. As a result of education efforts and media acceptance more young people area rejecting these anachronisms.
23-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Partly, but I think the greater access to communication does it. I found the Atheist Experience on youtube which converted me.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
23-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Again, these are mere assertions, not statistics. Don't get me wrong, I subscribe to this, but no one on here has evidence, just conjecture. What's next, you'll tell me you feel it in your heart that the Internet is a game-changer? Sounds indoctrinated, huh?

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
23-12-2013, 07:02 PM
The internet is what introduced me to Robert Green Ingersoll, which lead to my deconversion from theism.
[+] 1 user Likes Foxen's post
23-12-2013, 07:13 PM
(23-12-2013 06:54 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Again, these are mere assertions, not statistics. Don't get me wrong, I subscribe to this, but no one on here has evidence, just conjecture. What's next, you'll tell me you feel it in your heart that the Internet is a game-changer? Sounds indoctrinated, huh?
Greater access to information and the ability to communicate has lead to such outcomes in the past, the protestant schism occurred in the wake of the development of the printing press and subsequent availability of the the text of the bible for discussion.
The Internet is a component of the new communication technology (telephone > radio > TV) that has increased peoples access to information and provided the means to discuss the text that wasn't available before.
This allows the schism to grow at an unprecedented rate whereas previously such discussion was ultimately limited.
However it isn't the root cause of the schism which remains with the church's own leadership and their own dishonesty.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Greene's post
23-12-2013, 07:31 PM
(23-12-2013 07:33 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Do you think the Internet is one of the biggest factors driving the decrease of religion in developed countries in the past 20 years? For that matter, does anyone have any links to any studies or research on this topic?

I was thinking about this today and realized that the Internet makes it far easier for people to anonymously gather and discuss topics that might otherwise be off limits. Also, it's far easier for people to simply find information and dissenting points of view that they might not have otherwise found.

I know for me, personally, being able to read other points of view and to find resources like cataloged Biblical contradictions and failed prophesies were instrumental in me considering something other than Christianity.

So, I don't really have any data other than the two points above and my own experiences. I'm curious what your thoughts are on the matter and whether not you can point to any studies on the matter.
It is very possible. The more young people are exposed to all kinds of bad, evil things the easier for them to get off the course.
Many bad things are very attractive.

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
23-12-2013, 07:34 PM
(23-12-2013 07:31 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(23-12-2013 07:33 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Do you think the Internet is one of the biggest factors driving the decrease of religion in developed countries in the past 20 years? For that matter, does anyone have any links to any studies or research on this topic?

I was thinking about this today and realized that the Internet makes it far easier for people to anonymously gather and discuss topics that might otherwise be off limits. Also, it's far easier for people to simply find information and dissenting points of view that they might not have otherwise found.

I know for me, personally, being able to read other points of view and to find resources like cataloged Biblical contradictions and failed prophesies were instrumental in me considering something other than Christianity.

So, I don't really have any data other than the two points above and my own experiences. I'm curious what your thoughts are on the matter and whether not you can point to any studies on the matter.
It is very possible. The more young people are exposed to all kinds of bad, evil things the easier for them to get off the course.
Many bad things are very attractive.

The more people are exposed to good things like reason and evidence, the more likely they will be non-religious.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post