The Internet and atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2013, 07:48 PM
RE: The Internet and atheism
(23-12-2013 07:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-12-2013 07:31 PM)Alla Wrote:  It is very possible. The more young people are exposed to all kinds of bad, evil things the easier for them to get off the course.
Many bad things are very attractive.

The more people are exposed to good things like reason and evidence, the more likely they will be non-religious.
Or it is easier to hear true Prophets of God anywhere in the world.Smile
But, I agree there are many great things that young people can learn on internet.
Science is one of those things.

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2013, 07:50 PM
(23-12-2013 06:54 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Again, these are mere assertions, not statistics. Don't get me wrong, I subscribe to this, but no one on here has evidence, just conjecture. What's next, you'll tell me you feel it in your heart that the Internet is a game-changer? Sounds indoctrinated, huh?
There is data on the political issues. For instance a Barna (Christian) group survey found that among its image problems, the church's anti-homosexuality generates the most negative response from Christian youth (80 percent) and non-Christian (91 percent). Protestant church's identification with fundie politics is a killer among youth. Here's an article discussing this, and arguing that the internet is mostly a non-factor. http://nonprophetstatus.com/2013/01/20/a...nt-matter/

The author asserts that the information has always been accessible (but then talks about going to the library). I do agree with him that the internet is probably mostly used to confirm existing beliefs and find community. But I wouldn't discount the importance of community being available, and don't see how anyone can argue that access to information hasn't improved exponentially.
[+] 1 user Likes freetoreason's post
23-12-2013, 08:00 PM
Mr. Greene, you are pretty close to creating the fallacy of an Argument from Spurious Similarity and Appealing to History. You are saying that because TV/radio et al can/did provide information in a fashion quicker than technology before it, that was the reason for a religious schism (for which you have provided zero proof), therefore the Internet, which provides info faster the TV/radio (the now previous technology) must be the reason for a rise in secularism. Sorry, but just because something was true (if it was true) in the past does not make it true now, sort of the opposite of the Argument to the Future. We still have no stats, no evidence, mere conjecture and blind assertions.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-12-2013, 08:02 PM
(23-12-2013 02:32 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Not so fast. It all depends on the free west as both government and private business owners, keeping it available and fair. Business monopolies do exist. The NFL, cable companies and health care.

The technology right now, if not gamed can lead to more exposure. But look what gun manufacturers have done keeping their candy stores open. Anything can be gamed and monopolized because humans ultimately are part of every system, public and private.

God damn i got hit with a huge Déjà vu on that post, this argument happened before and people could not see that the transparency the internet gives (even indirectly in a nanny state), exposes bias and corporate shoe horning.

The more I think on it, I believe we could just as likely end up with a world of Deists more than atheist. Science may never find Abiogenesis proof and people in general have a big problem with admitting they don't know stuff.
Deism is the Santa Claus of religions.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
23-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Thanks freetoreason, we're getting closer, though that blogger points to the Internet not having a factor, which is interesting.

----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
23-12-2013, 08:09 PM
(23-12-2013 08:00 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Mr. Greene, you are pretty close to creating the fallacy of an Argument from Spurious Similarity and Appealing to History. You are saying that because TV/radio et al can/did provide information in a fashion quicker than technology before it, that was the reason for a religious schism (for which you have provided zero proof), therefore the Internet, which provides info faster the TV/radio (the now previous technology) must be the reason for a rise in secularism. Sorry, but just because something was true (if it was true) in the past does not make it true now, sort of the opposite of the Argument to the Future. We still have no stats, no evidence, mere conjecture and blind assertions.

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/16/religion..._internet/

"A traditional religion, one built on “right belief,” requires a closed information system."

i'm close to breaking a friend into at least Deisim because I can instantly prove what he thinks is in the bible is not, and what is not in the bible actually is.

[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
23-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the link, sporehux, but the post before that discusses the salon.com story. Information goes both ways and can provide religious sides just as quickly.

----
23-12-2013, 08:36 PM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2013 08:40 PM by sporehux.)
i get there is potential4 an existing or new religious cult to seize on some geological or cosmological event coincidence and use the Internet to propagate.

But current religions are so contradictory with zero evidence information exposeses their problems more than it spreads any positivity about them.

23-12-2013, 08:38 PM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2013 08:49 PM by Mr Greene.)
(23-12-2013 08:00 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Mr. Greene, you are pretty close to creating the fallacy of an Argument from Spurious Similarity and Appealing to History. You are saying that because TV/radio et al can/did provide information in a fashion quicker than technology before it, that was the reason for a religious schism (for which you have provided zero proof), therefore the Internet, which provides info faster the TV/radio (the now previous technology) must be the reason for a rise in secularism. Sorry, but just because something was true (if it was true) in the past does not make it true now, sort of the opposite of the Argument to the Future. We still have no stats, no evidence, mere conjecture and blind assertions.
The move toward secularism is part of a long term trend which is gathering pace due to the improved methods of communication but not caused directly by them.
The general population is becoming empowered in a way they were not before.
The internet in and of itself is neutral to the concept of religion.
Therefore the root cause of an alteration in religious patterns must lie elsewhere.
Monotheism has been schisming almost since it was invented, christianity itself is the result of a schism in Judaism.
23-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Education is the enemy of faith.
Internet = education available like never before in history.
(education good, bad and in the middle..........doesn't matter. Education Available is the point)

Thumbsup

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.