The Internet has helped the crazies come out?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2014, 10:59 AM
The Internet has helped the crazies come out?
Okay, So I have occasionally surfed other forums (not necessary religious ones) and what I find there is disturbing.

Half the time, I'm reading it and going, "huh? What the hell are you talking bout?"

My question is: Have people ALWAYS been this crazy? Have I lived a completely sheltered life? Or has the internet given the crazy people have access to the world?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2014, 11:02 AM
RE: The Internet has helped the crazies come out?
Oh yeah, the Internet has given them a place in the public eye. I think the really batshit ones were more confined...didn't work, didn't socialize, etc. But with the Internet they are able to get their crazy notions out to a wide audience instead of just the few people around them IRL.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
11-02-2014, 11:12 AM
Sure they have always been crazy, but now they have a vehicle to get their craziness out to the masses. Just like with the media - are there really more molesters, abductors, and crazy predators out there, or is it just that in todays information age we hear about every single one.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
11-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Yes.

It's a (self-selecting) sampling bias.

... this is my signature!
12-02-2014, 09:10 AM
I'd say anonymity has just brought crazy to light, and allowed faux crazy folks to run amok.

12-02-2014, 09:13 AM
What? Not content with the crazies on this forum?

Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
12-02-2014, 09:20 AM
(12-02-2014 09:13 AM)DLJ Wrote:  What? Not content with the crazies on this forum?

Dodgy

At least wait until I leave the thread. Sheesh! Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
12-02-2014, 09:21 AM
(12-02-2014 09:20 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(12-02-2014 09:13 AM)DLJ Wrote:  What? Not content with the crazies on this forum?

Dodgy

At least wait until I leave the thread. Sheesh! Dodgy

Oops! Sorry. I thought you'd gone. Blush

12-02-2014, 09:22 AM
I agree with DL, and would add that the internet gives some people a chance to "be" their alterego, and to say things that would never fly in the real world.

Tho,I've noticed that almost all of 'us' will at times exhibit crazy (outlandish/wild,etc.)behaviors on a social network site.

Deep subject tho, and definitly beyond my understanding of human nature. Consider

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
12-02-2014, 04:57 PM
Certain types of crazies wouldn't have survived long if they had lived a couple hundred years ago. Simply because we take better care of the crazies than ever before, I would say there are likely more.