The Irrational Nature Of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2012, 08:51 PM
RE: The Irrational Nature Of Atheism
(20-10-2012 08:23 PM)Vosur Wrote:  "I think there's a little bit of confusion on your part. The definitions of words change over time and their meaning is dependant on the context in which they are used, as well as on the cultural background of the person who is using them. In the case of atheism (a lack of belief in gods) the term "god" refers to a supernatural deity."
Vosur [sic]

"The Theist doesn't seem to grasp the concept of polysemous words and that the meaning of words is, among other factors, dependent on the context in which they are used in."
Vosur [sic]

Atheism rejects the concept of God and gods. It doesn't specifically reject any specific god.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2012, 08:52 PM
(20-10-2012 08:51 PM)The Theist Wrote:  
(20-10-2012 08:23 PM)Vosur Wrote:  "I think there's a little bit of confusion on your part. The definitions of words change over time and their meaning is dependant on the context in which they are used, as well as on the cultural background of the person who is using them. In the case of atheism (a lack of belief in gods) the term "god" refers to a supernatural deity."
Vosur [sic]

"The Theist doesn't seem to grasp the concept of polysemous words and that the meaning of words is, among other factors, dependent on the context in which they are used in."
Vosur [sic]

Atheism rejects the concept of God and gods. It doesn't specifically reject any specific god.
I haven't said otherwise in either of these quotes. You're arguing against a straw man.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
20-10-2012, 08:54 PM
(20-10-2012 08:47 PM)The Theist Wrote:  Yes, it is, and I have met 2 atheists in my lifetime who bothered to do that, and I respect their decision. Slandering the Bible out of ignorance is another story. Theist or Atheist.
No it isn't. If I said to you that i had superpowers but offered no evidence except that I said I had superpowers, and because i said it it therefore must be true. Would you rejecting the idea be irrational?

(20-10-2012 08:47 PM)The Theist Wrote:  No, that is educational. Read a science book.

There is a big difference, Science books have peer reviewed rigorously tested information in them. The bible doesn't.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 2 users Like FSM_scot's post
20-10-2012, 08:55 PM
(20-10-2012 08:47 PM)The Theist Wrote:  
(20-10-2012 08:27 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Rejecting the idea of something that has no supporting evidence is rational.

Yes, it is, and I have met 2 atheists in my lifetime who bothered to do that, and I respect their decision. Slandering the Bible out of ignorance is another story. Theist or Atheist.

(20-10-2012 08:27 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Reading a book that says something is real and believing it because it says its right with no supporting evidence except what that book says is completely irrational.

No, that is educational. Read a science book.

Ahh, science books have supporting evidence son.
As do history books for when you no doubt divert on to those.
The bible doesn't.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
20-10-2012, 08:57 PM
(20-10-2012 08:51 PM)The Theist Wrote:  
Vosur [sic]

Vosur [sic]

This sentence makes no sense.

"I don't like apples"
"Here have a green apple"
"I just said I don't like apples"
"Yes, but you didn't say you don't like Green apples"
*facepalm*

[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
20-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Relativism is the concept that points of view
have no absolute truth or validity, having
only relative, subjective value according to
differences in perception and consideration.

Based on what I've read, I gather that "The Theist" must be a relativist.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
20-10-2012, 09:02 PM
(20-10-2012 09:02 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Relativism is the concept that points of view
have no absolute truth or validity, having
only relative, subjective value according to
differences in perception and consideration.

Based on what I've read, I gather that "The Theist" must be a relativist.

or a forum troll.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
20-10-2012, 09:04 PM
(20-10-2012 08:40 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Now for a more elaborate rebuttal.

Irrelevant to the modern usage of the word.

The scripture mentions gods and God. Lords and Lord. Which, on this atheist forum, is irrelevant to the modern usage of the word?

(20-10-2012 08:40 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Merriam Webster is not an authority in the realm of dictionaries. In fact, Oxford dictionary, for example, is much more reputable.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition...n=us&q=god

Its the same thing, dude.

(20-10-2012 08:40 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Non-sequitur. People are born without a belief in god (i.e. as atheists).

They are born bald, naked, toothless, unable to walk and talk or think rationally. (i.e. as atheists). [Laughs] I couldn't resist. Excuse me.

(20-10-2012 08:40 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Unfounded generalization.

Bullshit. Personal experience.

(20-10-2012 08:40 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Unfounded generalization. Furthermore, I've never heard an atheist say that ever. It's usually coming from theists. Either way, it's a logical fallacy known as "No true scotsman".

Maybe that is why I like this forum so much. But I've heard it hundreds of times.

(20-10-2012 08:40 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Unfounded generalization. Other than that, it's meaningless to me that you pick and choose your definition of the word "god" from a specific dictionary you chose because it suits your argument. Your reasoning shows a major confirmation bias. Furthermore, you are completely ignorant of the fact that the meaning and definitions of words are not fixed and that no dictionary is an absolute authority. Hell, I can provide you with plenty other dictionaries that have other definitions of the term "god".

You keep copping out. Atheism, at the least, denies all other uses of the word god, applying it in a grossly irresponsible manner. There is a reason why you don't see atheists tackling the subject by discussing the Bhagavad Gita or Hindusim.

(20-10-2012 08:40 PM)Vosur Wrote:  The usage of the term "god" in the Bible is completely irrelevant to it's modern day usage.

Well of course it is! According to an atheist. Irrational.
20-10-2012, 09:10 PM
So.. The Theist, what exactly are you trying to achieve here?
Your "logic" is flawed and wrong so you're obviously not here to convert a few atheists. You insult members who show the flaws in your logic, so you're not exactly here to make friends.
So, I'm wondering, for what purpose are you trolling our little forum?

20-10-2012, 09:24 PM
(20-10-2012 08:55 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Ahh, science books have supporting evidence son.
As do history books for when you no doubt divert on to those.
The bible doesn't.

On science books and supporting evidence. Kent Hovind's 100 Reasons why evolution is stupid.

On history and the Bible, you don't know much about either. The most ardent and informed atheists I have ever met, in fact, the two who I mention as being the only informed atheists I have ever met, were history buffs introduced to the Bible by it's importance in an historical context. They don't believe the God but wouldn't be so obtuse to even suggest it's historic insignificance. Read my post on historicity. Or Read the Theological works of Isaac Newton.

I know. You are a confident modern day atheist. An island of arrogance in a rolling sea of stupidity. Your assumptions are as good as gold.