The Island and the coconut

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2017, 07:06 AM
RE: The Island and the coconut
(18-09-2017 06:55 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Lighten up, Francis.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
18-09-2017, 07:23 AM
So the metabolism is irrelevant?

I thought about bashing him on the head with the coconut.

Then I decided that it says no place that the coconut isn't already cracked. So I'll share. Death doesn't scare me anymore, living with a mutilated corpse does.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
18-09-2017, 08:43 AM
I'd ask the other person if they are any good at fish tickling and use their answer to decide.
18-09-2017, 10:36 AM
(18-09-2017 06:55 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Lighten up, Francis.

noooooooooooo Evil_monsterHoboWeeping

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
19-09-2017, 08:05 AM
First I try to engage the conversation to know more about the other person. If he/she tells me she believes in god/the universe/magic crystals or anything like that then I tell him/her to pray for food while I eat the last coconut (or have positive thoughts and invoke the magic crystals super power, or any woo stuff he/she believes in) : after all, if those beliefs were true he/she wouldn't have to worry about me eating the only coconut...

If he/she is not a religious brat, then I would keep discussing to check his/her personality, and except if I discover that he/she is a real asshole, then I would gladly share the last coconut and hope that we will both survive.
19-09-2017, 08:16 AM
It depends on whether I got on with them or not, and whether they tried to take the coconut by force.

I would probably share assuming that they are just an ordinary person. After two people means that there are two pairs of eyes to look out for a ship. Don't want to miss it while you're sleeping.

And if we both die? Meh.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
19-09-2017, 04:00 PM
While this superficially appears to be little more than a shameless attempt by Leerob to extract from us our most deeply guarded secret recipes for coconut-braised longpig some of the deeper ethical considerations are more interesting.

(17-09-2017 05:19 PM)Leerob Wrote:  Basically just a lump of sand in the middle of the ocean - pretty small, nothing really there.

On a pragmatic note, you can ignore the calorie count. Thirst will kill you long before the hunger does, so it's the coconut milk and moisture from the meat of the coconut that you'll want. Good luck not spilling that while bashing it with a rock. Thumbsup

Quote:What do you do?

There are really two options here, share or don't share. They have identical net survival odds. Don't share looks like two options but they really only differ in the ignorance/altruism of the one with no chance. They're going to die so that hardly matters. The survivor is a selfish murderer in both don't share cases.

By murderer I do not mean that in the passive 'let the fates and elements take their course' sense. If you have any decency you will split their skull with the same rock that you used to crack the coconut. The alternative is an agonizing death beginning with kidney failure with the rest of their major organs packing it in as toxins build up in their blood stream until finally their heart stops. In fact, the Miss Manners Guide to Desert Island Etiquette suggests that it is good form to kill them before you devour their only chance of survival.

My solution: Give the stranger the coconut and explain the dilemna.

- If they offer you the whole coconut then share. Neither of you is a murderer.
- If they offer to share then share. Neither of you is a murderer.
- If they eat the whole coconut then they have revealed themself as a selfish murderer. Kill them while they sleep and use their blood and flesh to survive until rescue. The world doesn't need people like that and you gave them a fair chance. It isn't your fault they didn't understand probability or basic social contract.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post