The JE Walker debates commentary thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2014, 10:18 AM
RE: The JE Walker debates commentary thread
(27-03-2014 10:14 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  And you have completely failed to provide a good reason why you deny premise 1.

[Image: lalala+can%27t+hear+you.jpg]

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Taq, you were asking who had mentioned the taxicab fallacy or something? I found this. I don't know anything about the source, but this is what it says:

http://wickershamsconscience.wordpress.c...b-fallacy/
Snip:
Quote:The taxi cab fallacy is likely mis-attributed to German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer. It runs something like this:

“Science is not a taxi-cab that we can get in and out of whenever we like”

Borwen and Bailey used it recently in an otherwise well-written critique of some of our less logically rigorous politicians. There are a couple of problems with their usage. First, the cranky Schopenhauer likely never said anything of the kind. Second, it’s not really a fallacy, although it is a useful metaphor.
27-03-2014, 10:35 AM
cjlr said:
Quote:If something cannot come from nothing, it inevitably follows that one cannot form an argument from nothing.

And yet that is just what you have done. Repeatedly.

THAT was hilarious. xD

I spelled your name right this time!
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
27-03-2014, 10:53 AM
(27-03-2014 10:35 AM)Charis Wrote:  I spelled your name right this time!

Thumbsup

... this is my signature!
27-03-2014, 10:56 AM
It's been a while since I've last seen someone this utterly dense and dishonest. Shocking

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
27-03-2014, 12:15 PM
(27-03-2014 11:49 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  To substantiate premise one I have argued that you know effects have causes and things do not just appear or come into existence without their respective causes.

To substantiate premise one I appeal to your belief that things do not come into existence without a cause. I am sure you as a rational person believe this.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Causality: He's completely ignored any of the points raised about it being endemic to the observable existent universe, and not in all cases even then, as it breaks down in quantum mechanics and with relativity.

I really hope JE Walker reads the commentary, and understands what an idiot he's made himself out to be.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
27-03-2014, 12:51 PM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2014 01:00 PM by rampant.a.i..)
(23-03-2014 12:27 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(23-03-2014 12:25 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  I see, so you're just creating strawman arguments as hypotheticals of what atheists argue, and aren't even able to do that without advancing truth claims yourself.

Do you think your assertions need to be backed with proof, or you only demand this of atheists?

I believe truth claims need to be demonstrated to be true with evidence or good arguments.

We can always debate if you are willing.

(27-03-2014 12:48 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  You seem adept at not responding to what I have written.

Do you or do you not deny premise one?

[Image: that-post-gave-me-cancer.jpg]

27-03-2014, 01:02 PM
(27-03-2014 12:51 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(23-03-2014 12:27 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I believe truth claims need to be demonstrated to be true with evidence or good arguments.

We can always debate if you are willing.

(27-03-2014 12:48 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  You seem adept at not responding to what I have written.

Do you or do you not deny premise one?

[Image: that-post-gave-me-cancer.jpg]

It's a special kind of special, all right.

Blink

Gasp

Weeping

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
27-03-2014, 01:11 PM
I think this debate is the new Sexy Banter thread with all the spanking going on.

Jeremy is constantly being spanked for his misbehavior.

Spank, spank, spank, spank...
[+] 4 users Like Charis's post
27-03-2014, 03:18 PM
Quote:2. If things really could come into being uncaused out of nothing, then it becomes inexplicable why just anything and everything does not come into existence uncaused from nothing.

How is this logical?
If things (such as nails) could be hammered into a block of wood, then it becomes inexplicable why just anything could not be hammered into a block of wood.
Smartass