The Jazz, Jazz Fusion, Latin/Brasilian Jazz ONLY Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2017, 08:17 PM
RE: The Jazz, Jazz Fusion, Latin/Brasilian Jazz ONLY Thread
(19-03-2017 07:04 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Don't know much about jazz,

But here is a metal/Jazz song. Crazy Cat by Helloween.

I nvr heard of this group, sounds straight up metal to me. I like the cat driving!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2017, 08:24 PM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2017 08:46 PM by Fred Hampton.)
Trilok Gurtu and his group, "Spellbound". Trilok is an amazing tablaist, drummer/perc. from India, got his 1st big start in the States with the group "Oregon"(Ralph Towner) and then with John Mclaughlin:

19-03-2017, 08:38 PM

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
19-03-2017, 08:47 PM
(19-03-2017 08:17 PM)Fred Hampton Wrote:  
(19-03-2017 07:04 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Don't know much about jazz,

But here is a metal/Jazz song. Crazy Cat by Helloween.

I nvr heard of this group, sounds straight up metal to me. I like the cat driving!
Really?

If you listen to the brass instruments it sounds very cliched jazz doesn't it?
Even the vocal melody is Jazzy isn't it? Oh, well, I don't know much about jazz.
19-03-2017, 08:54 PM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2017 09:02 PM by Fred Hampton.)
(19-03-2017 08:47 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(19-03-2017 08:17 PM)Fred Hampton Wrote:  I nvr heard of this group, sounds straight up metal to me. I like the cat driving!
Really?

If you listen to the brass instruments it sounds very cliched jazz doesn't it?
Even the vocal melody is Jazzy isn't it? Oh, well, I don't know much about jazz.
The "brass" are from a synthesizer("sampled"), if I'm not mistaken. It is a jazzy riff to a metal song, that is for sure, never heard that usage before. The cat makes the whole thing! Keep bringin' those hits!

Dream Theater is a real great group, kind of metal/fusion.
19-03-2017, 09:03 PM
Terry Bozzio Group:

[+] 1 user Likes Fred Hampton's post
19-03-2017, 09:22 PM
(19-03-2017 08:38 PM)tomilay Wrote:  

Nvr heard this group. Sounds African mixed with Nah'lins.
19-03-2017, 10:43 PM
(19-03-2017 08:10 PM)Fred Hampton Wrote:  I think Jaco went to U Miami music school for a bit [...]

He did. And if I recall correctly, he and Pat Metheny did some work together while they were each attending that school. Steve Morse also attended there around the same time -- early 70s.

As for my favorite jazz and fusion, Jeff Beck has already been mentioned. Blow by Blow is a fantastic album, already posted, and Wired is another one. My favorites from that:

For jazz standards, give me some Wes:

For some modern fusion, Sco -- backed by MMW:

I'll post more later ...
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
19-03-2017, 11:01 PM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2017 11:14 PM by Fred Hampton.)
(19-03-2017 10:43 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(19-03-2017 08:10 PM)Fred Hampton Wrote:  I think Jaco went to U Miami music school for a bit [...]

He did. And if I recall correctly, he and Pat Metheny did some work together while they were each attending that school. Steve Morse also attended there around the same time -- early 70s.

As for my favorite jazz and fusion, Jeff Beck has already been mentioned. Blow by Blow is a fantastic album, already posted, and Wired is another one. My favorites from that:

I'll post more later ...
I thought Metheny went to Berklee and thats where he got "discovered" by Gary Burton and Eberhard Weber?
[Image: passengers1.jpg]
Gary Burton vibraharp
Pat Metheny guitar
Steve Swallow bass guitar
Dan Gottlieb drums
Eberhard Weber bass

Lyle Mays went to N TX St for a time and I know a guy that played with him there, well, tried to keep up.

Wes is the shit, and a big influence on Metheny, he says. And Dude, Scofield, "Up All Night" is his baddest ass album, its sick! Agogo is cool too. Scof went to Berklee too, I think. I was hip to Beck when he first came out, but havent followed him much since the 70s. He was a game changer for alot of guitarists and rock and rollers, me thinks.
20-03-2017, 01:36 AM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2017 01:42 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(19-03-2017 11:01 PM)Fred Hampton Wrote:  He was a game changer for alot of guitarists and rock and rollers, me thinks.

He certainly was for me. I was a shredhead when I first discovered JB in 1987 -- thanks to Slash, of all people, who name-dropped him in an interview -- and I was floored by the combination of groove and chops. Hearing Beck completely changed the way I played electric guitar, and while I still throw a turn or two of speed when the moment calls for it, I work much more rhythm into my playing even when I'm doing the ole weediddlydiddly.

As for Metheny at Miami, here's this:

Quote:"I almost went and got back on the bus and went back to Missouri, to tell you the truth," says Metheny, remembering that first time he heard Jaco Pastorius. "It was just shocking to hear somebody playing at that level, who was two or three years older than me ... Nobody had ever heard anybody play like that."

They became close friends, playing "weird gigs" all over Miami and Fort Lauderdale, then going back to Jaco's apartment above a laundromat in Hollywood, where they'd keep playing all night. When Metheny got a record deal for his first album, "Bright Size Life," he brought an unknown Jaco along to play on it, as well as drummer Bob Moses. That record became one of the defining albums of 1970s jazz -- one that makes you so glad Metheny's still making music and so, so sad that Jaco didn't make it out of the 1980s, killed in a bar fight.

You can listen to much of the interview at the link: http://wlrn.org/post/when-metheny-met-ja...miami-days
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post