The Jazz, Jazz Fusion, Latin/Brasilian Jazz ONLY Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2017, 01:51 AM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2017 01:59 AM by Fred Hampton.)
RE: The Jazz, Jazz Fusion, Latin/Brasilian Jazz ONLY Thread
(20-03-2017 01:36 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(19-03-2017 11:01 PM)Fred Hampton Wrote:  He was a game changer for alot of guitarists and rock and rollers, me thinks.

He certainly was for me. I was a shredhead when I first discovered JB in 1987 -- thanks to Slash, of all people, who name-dropped him in an interview -- and I was floored by the combination of groove and chops. Hearing Beck completely changed the way I played electric guitar, and while I still throw a turn or two of speed when the moment calls for it, I work much more rhythm into my playing even when I'm doing the ole weediddlydiddly.

As for Metheny at Miami, here's this:

Quote:"I almost went and got back on the bus and went back to Missouri, to tell you the truth," says Metheny, remembering that first time he heard Jaco Pastorius. "It was just shocking to hear somebody playing at that level, who was two or three years older than me ... Nobody had ever heard anybody play like that."

They became close friends, playing "weird gigs" all over Miami and Fort Lauderdale, then going back to Jaco's apartment above a laundromat in Hollywood, where they'd keep playing all night. When Metheny got a record deal for his first album, "Bright Size Life," he brought an unknown Jaco along to play on it, as well as drummer Bob Moses. That record became one of the defining albums of 1970s jazz -- one that makes you so glad Metheny's still making music and so, so sad that Jaco didn't make it out of the 1980s, killed in a bar fight.

You can listen to much of the interview at the link: http://wlrn.org/post/when-metheny-met-ja...miami-days
I think Beck brought some jazz and the funk into rock guitar, is how I remember hearing it back then. Well, it was the 70s.

Interesting re Metheny and Jaco in Miami. I sent a quick audition cassette to UM and and was accepted, but didnt have the $ to go there. Mark Egan went to UM too, I hung out a bit with him in NYC about 15 yrs ago. He has a cool album, "Touch Of Light". I Did a crazy gig w Danny Gottlieb(Blues Bros cover band) once in Maui, lol. I guess after UM Metheny went to teach @ Berklee and met Burton there.

Lyle Mays is even on another level, IMO. Seen him a few w his own group. On another planet, that guy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2017, 02:28 AM
I like Soil n Pimp Sessions.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
20-03-2017, 02:36 AM
Yeah, Beck, of the Three Kings of English Blues, was the one who really stretched out. Clapton finally did in the 90s, but (imo) in the wrong direction; his recordings were very MOR radio-friendly stuff. His concerts had something still to offer.

I still regret missing Jeff and Stevie Ray on their joint tour in 1990 -- I couldn't swap a day off and was scheduled (and did) work the night of the concert.

Some more favorite fusion here -- acoustic, with flamenco, shred, and delicate harmony in the mix. Paco de Lucia and Al DiMeola playing:

[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
20-03-2017, 02:39 AM
(20-03-2017 02:28 AM)JesseB Wrote:  I like Soil n Pimp Sessions.
You'll have to educate me on the S & P.
[+] 1 user Likes Fred Hampton's post
20-03-2017, 02:42 AM
(20-03-2017 02:36 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Yeah, Beck, of the Three Kings of English Blues, was the one who really stretched out. Clapton finally did in the 90s, but (imo) in the wrong direction; his recordings were very MOR radio-friendly stuff. His concerts had something still to offer.

I still regret missing Jeff and Stevie Ray on their joint tour in 1990 -- I couldn't swap a day off and was scheduled (and did) work the night of the concert.

Some more favorite fusion here -- acoustic, with flamenco, shred, and delicate harmony in the mix. Paco de Lucia and Al DiMeola playing:

I remember this album, havent listened to it in many moons. Gets to be a bit too many notes for me after awhile, especially with 3 light speed pickers.
20-03-2017, 02:49 AM
Yeah, it's not easy-listening. I usually give it speaker-time when I'm by myself chewing up back-country roads in my truck. But golly, that's when it works really well.
20-03-2017, 03:36 AM
(20-03-2017 02:49 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Yeah, it's not easy-listening. I usually give it speaker-time when I'm by myself chewing up back-country roads in my truck. But golly, that's when it works really well.
Well, it's any guitar guy's Heaven, right? But, for me, it kind of loses the musicality fairly quickly. And that goes for all hyper notes musics. Like those metal drummers have crazy tech, but after a few tunes, I've had enough--make MUSIC!
20-03-2017, 10:38 AM
(20-03-2017 03:36 AM)Fred Hampton Wrote:  Well, it's any guitar guy's Heaven, right? But, for me, it kind of loses the musicality fairly quickly. And that goes for all hyper notes musics. Like those metal drummers have crazy tech, but after a few tunes, I've had enough--make MUSIC!

I don't know, "Mediterranean Sundance" doesn't lose any musicality to my ears, despite being notey. You're right, that can happen -- and DiMeola is guilty of it in several places on that album and others. But there are plenty of notey guitarists who are incredibly melodic -- Eric Johnson and Joe Satriani spring to mind immediately.

But back to jazz -- I could listen to Carmen sing all night long:

20-03-2017, 11:06 AM
(20-03-2017 10:38 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(20-03-2017 03:36 AM)Fred Hampton Wrote:  Well, it's any guitar guy's Heaven, right? But, for me, it kind of loses the musicality fairly quickly. And that goes for all hyper notes musics. Like those metal drummers have crazy tech, but after a few tunes, I've had enough--make MUSIC!

I don't know, "Mediterranean Sundance" doesn't lose any musicality to my ears, despite being notey. You're right, that can happen -- and DiMeola is guilty of it in several places on that album and others. But there are plenty of notey guitarists who are incredibly melodic -- Eric Johnson and Joe Satriani spring to mind immediately.

But back to jazz -- I could listen to Carmen sing all night long:
Russell Malone is in my top 5 guitarists roster. The cat knows a zillion songs in all styles, mainly a jazz guy, and is incredibly. Saw him a few times with Diane Reeves. He's amazing. But I dont listen to as much of the hyper note flash fusion stuff anymore as I explained, I just want to hear great MUSIC.
20-03-2017, 03:09 PM
These are all my guys together - particularly Daniel Carter - he likes to keep it low. He's the only person I ever look real hard for anymore.

Of course, the video runs out - they probably went on for at least another 30 minutes
William Parker - bass, Cooper Moore - piano
Hamid Drake - drums, Daniel Carter - everything

Aaaand... these are my other guys all together - Guillermo E. Brown has a lot of albums out there with his own trio. I used to be quite enamored of Matthew Shipp - still am - he really wraps his head around it.

I wish this was live like the other one - I'll see if I can dig up something live.
David S. Ware - tenor sax, Matthew Shipp - piano
William Parker - bass, Guillermo E. Brown - drums

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post