The Jazz, Jazz Fusion, Latin/Brasilian Jazz ONLY Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2017, 03:19 PM
RE: The Jazz, Jazz Fusion, Latin/Brasilian Jazz ONLY Thread
Of course, there's no free jazz without ...

Ornette.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
20-03-2017, 03:53 PM
(20-03-2017 03:09 PM)kim Wrote:  These are all my guys together - particularly Daniel Carter - he likes to keep it low. He's the only person I ever look real hard for anymore.

Of course, the video runs out - they probably went on for at least another 30 minutes
William Parker - bass, Cooper Moore - piano
Hamid Drake - drums, Daniel Carter - everything

Aaaand... these are my other guys all together - Guillermo E. Brown has a lot of albums out there with his own trio. I used to be quite enamored of Matthew Shipp - still am - he really wraps his head around it.

I wish this was live like the other one - I'll see if I can dig up something live.
David S. Ware - tenor sax, Matthew Shipp - piano
William Parker - bass, Guillermo E. Brown - drums
Wassup kim?! Smile You have some WAY happening tunes goin' on there, from artists of whom I am mostly not familiar. Will check out soon, ty! (p.s., you might really like this cat from Canada named Kenny Wheeler("Gnu High"), right up your alley. Wink )
20-03-2017, 06:29 PM
(20-03-2017 11:06 AM)Fred Hampton Wrote:  But I dont listen to as much of the hyper note flash fusion stuff anymore as I explained, I just want to hear great MUSIC.

Because something is fast, or notey, doesn't mean it isn't musical. I've heard great flashy stuff, and shitty slow stuff. Music is the organized representation of sound in order to achieve an emotional effect on the listener. There is no speed limit, nor speed minimum.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
20-03-2017, 06:33 PM
(20-03-2017 06:29 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(20-03-2017 11:06 AM)Fred Hampton Wrote:  But I dont listen to as much of the hyper note flash fusion stuff anymore as I explained, I just want to hear great MUSIC.

Because something is fast, or notey, doesn't mean it isn't musical. I've heard great flashy stuff, and shitty slow stuff. Music is the organized representation of sound in order to achieve an emotional effect on the listener. There is no speed limit, nor speed minimum.
Ongoing flurries of notes, on any instrument, dont mean much to me anymore. Anybody can do it, quite frankly, if they sit in their room long enough. All that Metal stuff drives me up the wall.
20-03-2017, 11:25 PM
Kenny Wheeler(Canada), trumpet.

With Keith Jarrett(piano), Jack DeJohnette(drums), and Dave Holland(bass)
[+] 1 user Likes Fred Hampton's post
21-03-2017, 09:45 AM
I don't know shit about jazz, but this cat...

...and that fucking Bosch. Laugh out load

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-03-2017, 01:51 PM
(20-03-2017 03:09 PM)kim Wrote:  These are all my guys together - particularly Daniel Carter - he likes to keep it low. He's the only person I ever look real hard for anymore.

Of course, the video runs out - they probably went on for at least another 30 minutes
William Parker - bass, Cooper Moore - piano
Hamid Drake - drums, Daniel Carter - everything

Aaaand... these are my other guys all together - Guillermo E. Brown has a lot of albums out there with his own trio. I used to be quite enamored of Matthew Shipp - still am - he really wraps his head around it.

I wish this was live like the other one - I'll see if I can dig up something live.
David S. Ware - tenor sax, Matthew Shipp - piano
William Parker - bass, Guillermo E. Brown - drums

Glad to see someone else likes this kind of stuff. I've got a bunch of it in my CD collection, including just about everything by Ware, and a good chunk of Parker. Another favorite of mine is Cecil Taylor. He's hard to represent with just a short youtube video, but here's a sample. I'm not even sure he plays jazz, but whatever it is, I find it mesmerizing. I wouldn't be surprised if he was an inspiration for Matthew Shipp.

[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
21-03-2017, 02:08 PM
(20-03-2017 06:33 PM)Fred Hampton Wrote:  Ongoing flurries of notes, on any instrument, dont mean much to me anymore. Anybody can do it, quite frankly, if they sit in their room long enough. All that Metal stuff drives me up the wall.

That doesn't mean it's not music. That just means you don't like it.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
21-03-2017, 02:20 PM
Some more favorites:

[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
21-03-2017, 06:37 PM
(21-03-2017 09:45 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I don't know shit about jazz, but this cat...

...and that fucking Bosch. Laugh out load
I never heard of this dude, pretty cool. kinda pop with a hard groove and a splash of smooth jazz trumpet riffs. Not bad. I didnt watch the vid part close enough to really get the theme. Something about corporatism and sex, LOL!