The Jazz, Jazz Fusion, Latin/Brasilian Jazz ONLY Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2017, 07:32 AM
RE: The Jazz, Jazz Fusion, Latin/Brasilian Jazz ONLY Thread
(22-03-2017 07:21 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(21-03-2017 06:46 PM)Fred Hampton Wrote:  Well, alotta times its just rapid fire running of scales in various modes and, no isnt really music, IMO. Flurries of notes should used within an entire musically developed solo, fitting into, hopefully, the lyricism of it, intermixed with space and syncopation. Just ripping of notes doesnt mean anything to me and there are a ton of players that do that. Its fatiguing to the ear.

I agree that few players can play both fast and musically. DiMeola from the FNiSF album is very guilty of it on his electric albums and in parts of the trio's work. But Paco's presence makes it all worthwhile to me. There's a guy who can play fast and musically.

Getting away from the thrust of the thread, Joe Satriani and Eric Johnson are two more whose licks can be slowed down and still remain very tasty.
I never really got into the Dimeola, Paco thing, maybe too "Spanishy" for me, and too many notes. I'm down w Mclaughlin, though.

I see flurries of notes as a path from one important lyrical note to the next and in this sense it works.

I'll check out those other guys along with all the other stuff peeps have posted here, some time or other.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2017, 08:20 AM
(22-03-2017 07:32 AM)Fred Hampton Wrote:  I see flurries of notes as a path from one important lyrical note to the next and in this sense it works.

I sometimes use runs in that way, but that too gets real old real fast. When I'm soloing, I most often use speed as an intensifier, but I still want the line to be melodic. Of course, I no longer play the shred I did back in the late 80s/early 90s -- I'm more blues and fingerstyle jazz, anymore.

A jazz-funk album I've been listening to much lately is A-gogo, from John Scofield -- Medeski, Martin, and Wood backing. It's great stuff; if your ass isn't moving in three minutes, you might want to check your pulse.

[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
22-03-2017, 08:53 AM
(22-03-2017 08:20 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(22-03-2017 07:32 AM)Fred Hampton Wrote:  I see flurries of notes as a path from one important lyrical note to the next and in this sense it works.

I sometimes use runs in that way, but that too gets real old real fast. When I'm soloing, I most often use speed as an intensifier, but I still want the line to be melodic. Of course, I no longer play the shred I did back in the late 80s/early 90s -- I'm more blues and fingerstyle jazz, anymore.

A jazz-funk album I've been listening to much lately is A-gogo, from John Scofield -- Medeski, Martin, and Wood backing. It's great stuff; if your ass isn't moving in three minutes, you might want to check your pulse.
It's all about feelings. Scofield's "Up All Night" is even hipper than "Agogo", IMO, his best album. I have both.

[+] 2 users Like Fred Hampton's post
22-03-2017, 09:11 AM
Yep, that's some stankin' funk.
22-03-2017, 09:14 AM
Yup, it was recorded near here over in Western MA.
22-03-2017, 09:28 AM
(22-03-2017 04:16 AM)Fred Hampton Wrote:  
(21-03-2017 07:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

Brubeck was actually the 1st jazz musician I ever heard as a kid, "Time Further Out". I saw him at Tanglewood not too ling ago. He's cool, and old school. He died in 2012, RIP.

His son still tours in (mostly) California and the west coast, which is kinda cool. They got the chance to do shows before he died which was wonderful.

His son still carries on his dad's tradition and also has been a frequent guest on our local jazz station talking about his dad.

I really want to see Diana Krall, but when she comes to my town I'll be on vacation. Such a bummer but...

Right now I'm listening to Thelonious Monk.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-03-2017, 06:51 PM
Quote:“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
[Image: nietzsche-1882.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Fred Hampton's post
24-03-2017, 08:12 PM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2017 08:16 PM by cactus.)
Bye Fred. We'll miss your shenanigans. Drinking Beverage

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
25-03-2017, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2017 01:19 PM by kim.)
Overcast & kind of drizzly day here. Listening to Miles at the moment ...

Doesn't seem quite so gray. Shy

Drums - Frank Butler
Drums - Anthony Williams
Piano - Victor Feldman
Piano - Herbie Hancock
Bass - Ron Carter
Tenor Saxophone - George Coleman
Trumpet - Miles Davis, of course

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
25-03-2017, 01:25 PM
Mmm. Feels like a Miles kind of day....

This is from the 58' sessions featuring Stella by Starlight.
Pretty classic Miles with Trane.

Paul Chambers - double bass
Jimmy Cobb - Drums
Bill Evans-Piano
Cannonball Adderly - sax contralto
John Coltrane - sax tenore
Miles -Trumpet

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post