The Job Search Begins...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2016, 03:07 PM
RE: The Job Search Begins...
I’ve been where you are several times in my life, the angst of not knowing how things will turn out can wear on you fast. However if you take the mindset of, “This is an adventure and I’m going to go and find someplace cool to work for people I like” and be deligent about it won’t feel so bad, you’ll feel like you are taking positive steps.

Think of what your ideal job would look like (within realistic expectations), then do your research and go pound the pavement. Worse thing you can do is sit at home for days on end moping.

The sooner you start the better and do hoard your cash to take some of the anxiety off your chest, it’ll buy you some extra time for job hunting.

Good luck!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
08-01-2016, 08:22 PM
The Job Search Begins...
Good luck with your job search. I know you can find a job!
[+] 1 user Likes musicharmony87's post
09-01-2016, 04:39 PM
(07-01-2016 10:54 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  We just had a surprise meeting with the president of our company. Due to lagging sales for the past few years, we just aren't able to be profitable. So we are closing by the end of the month. The sales people were just let go, just now. I'm the purchaser, so I doubt my services will be needed until the end of the month.

I have been keeping an eye open to purchasing jobs anyway, because I felt this news might be coming, but I haven't searched in earnest yet. Guess that's what I'll do with my time for as long as they pay me to sit at a desk with a computer.

Even though I wasn't shocked this is happening, I'm shocked this is happening. Sadcryface

Real sorry for you man.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
26-01-2016, 06:52 PM
So, how goes the job hunt?

I have two meetings with recruiters in the morning and another on Friday. I also had a call from a recruiter today for a job that is only a couple blocks from where I work now and sounds like a place I would like.

I freaking hate all the redundant paperwork required and the way recruiters just seem to vanish from the face of the earth after meeting with them. Undecided

I have to try to explain some short-term jobs from when I was working temp jobs when I was sick.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
26-01-2016, 07:07 PM
(07-01-2016 12:16 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Thanks, all. It's great having an online community to vent to.
It will be well...it's just the meantime that sucks!

They've mentioned severance packages. I've been here almost 8 years, so fingers crossed there is enough to take a little vacation to Stark's Isle of Weed!

Sneak a few o' Stark's seeds into your pockets on your way out, & you could start your own... Bodega when you got back! [Image: smiley-char002.gif]
[Image: smiley-char089.gif]

I kid! Hug

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
26-01-2016, 08:49 PM
Say it with me now.....

Bo-de-ga.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
29-01-2016, 10:28 PM
I wish you good luck with finding a new job! I know these things can sometimes come as a surprise and be scary and frustrating, but maybe this is an opportunity for you to branch out, and find something even better.Thumbsup
29-01-2016, 10:37 PM
Have you considered starting a megachurch? I hear there's real money to be made in that. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
30-01-2016, 08:55 AM
Stick with it.

I lost my job a couple years ago due to downsizing. It was terrifying and very stressful at the time, but looking back, it was the best thing that could've happened. I'm making substantially more money now, and I would probably still be working my old job if they hadn't closed that lab.
[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post
31-01-2016, 02:43 PM
I'll hire you Erx. Any experience dealing with drunk Russians?

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes izel's post