The Kafir Project

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2016, 12:17 PM
The Kafir Project
If anyone listened to the show would know that Seth narrated a new book called the Kafir Project. I listened to the first 5 chapters on the broadcast and I was roped in. So I downloaded it on Audible and gave it a listen. It was pretty good although I could probably listen to Seth read the phone book to be honest. The chapters were very short and to the point, unlike some other books that I have read and the story was engaging. It is pieced together pretty well for a book that deals with time (not time travel but time viewing) and there are no noticeable plotholes in it that I saw. The science lingo is good although there was one part where I cringed due to terminology but it really didn't matter to the plot. If you like thrillers that weave current events into it a narrative with an interesting idea than you may like this book.

There were a couple of part that really made me have to stop doing what I was doing. Unfortunately, one of those was while I was driving.... Confused

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
10-11-2016, 01:44 PM
RE: The Kafir Project
Sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out Thumbsup

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
11-11-2016, 08:16 PM
I enjoyed the broadcast with the first 5 chapters, might have to download it for conference travel next week. Thanks for the review and saying it's worth it!

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-11-2016, 04:58 PM
Hey guys, thanks for reading The Kafir Project. I just wanted to give everyone here a quick heads up who may have listened to Seth's amazing reading on the first five chapters of the audiobook.

I rewrote parts of Chapter 5 AFTER we had the audiobook already in the can, so to speak. So if you go on to read the ebook or paperback, you'll want to start at least as early as Chapter 5 -- even though you may have listened all the way through that. (BTW, the two version reconverge right away, so you're not missing anything if you just listen to the audiobook.)

I'll drop in here from time to time to say hello. If you have any questions about the book, I'd be glad to answer them.

Enjoy the ride.

Warm regards,
Lee Burvine
[+] 4 users Like leeburvine's post
25-11-2016, 01:10 PM
(11-11-2016 08:16 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I enjoyed the broadcast with the first 5 chapters, might have to download it for conference travel next week. Thanks for the review and saying it's worth it!

Just finished the audiobook. A few thoughts:
  • Like Organic Chemist, I could listen to Seth read a phone book.
  • Unlike The DaVinci Code, the audience is assumed to be at a certain level of knowledge. So when things are mentioned, it's not a page worth of infodump to bring people up to speed, it's "yeah, the X theory, turns out it was right" or "you've read so and so". Sure, Burvine gives the general gist of whatever is being discussed, but he doesn't infodump you like Dan Brown would. It flows naturally in the conversation. Being treated like we're not all idiots is a lovely change from the standard thriller genre.
  • Our hero isn't perfect, things don't always go his way. Sometimes he's skating by on pure dumb luck.
  • As an academic, oh my God, Dr. Krauss is so right in the foreword. It's great to see conversation that isn't stilted, and sounds like my coworkers and I, rather than the stereotypical depictions of ivory tower elitists who speak in some form of high brow intellectualism 24/7. (My dissertation chair is now lurking somewhere, ready to stab me for another run-on sentence.)
  • That story told at the end was an excellent set piece to the revelation. And let's face it, any of us would have done the same.
  • The villains are not Dan Brown-esque two dimensionally created. They have very human and fleshed out motivations. We especially see this with the sociopathic assassin's evolution as a character throughout. Also, it was nice to see a sociopath written as just a sociopath.
  • Lee Burvine did his research and it shows! Not just on the scientific aspects, but down to the settings as well. At a conference years ago, I was in San Francisco and ate at the cafe by the Golden Gate Bridge, walked across its span (long walk btw), etc. The details Burvine includes are great.
  • The audiobook price seemed a bit cringeworthy at first, but it's 10 hours long, so well worth the cost.

All in all, and bear in mind I'm Catholic, an excellent book.

[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
26-11-2016, 09:53 AM
(14-11-2016 04:58 PM)leeburvine Wrote:  Hey guys, thanks for reading The Kafir Project. I just wanted to give everyone here a quick heads up who may have listened to Seth's amazing reading on the first five chapters of the audiobook.

I rewrote parts of Chapter 5 AFTER we had the audiobook already in the can, so to speak. So if you go on to read the ebook or paperback, you'll want to start at least as early as Chapter 5 -- even though you may have listened all the way through that. (BTW, the two version reconverge right away, so you're not missing anything if you just listen to the audiobook.)

I'll drop in here from time to time to say hello. If you have any questions about the book, I'd be glad to answer them.

Enjoy the ride.

Warm regards,
Lee Burvine

Hy crap dude. That part when he was on the drugs and he was hallucinating cutting his wrist. Made me cringe in a good way.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
26-11-2016, 09:54 AM
(25-11-2016 01:10 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(11-11-2016 08:16 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I enjoyed the broadcast with the first 5 chapters, might have to download it for conference travel next week. Thanks for the review and saying it's worth it!

Just finished the audiobook. A few thoughts:
  • Like Organic Chemist, I could listen to Seth read a phone book.
  • Unlike The DaVinci Code, the audience is assumed to be at a certain level of knowledge. So when things are mentioned, it's not a page worth of infodump to bring people up to speed, it's "yeah, the X theory, turns out it was right" or "you've read so and so". Sure, Burvine gives the general gist of whatever is being discussed, but he doesn't infodump you like Dan Brown would. It flows naturally in the conversation. Being treated like we're not all idiots is a lovely change from the standard thriller genre.
  • Our hero isn't perfect, things don't always go his way. Sometimes he's skating by on pure dumb luck.
  • As an academic, oh my God, Dr. Krauss is so right in the foreword. It's great to see conversation that isn't stilted, and sounds like my coworkers and I, rather than the stereotypical depictions of ivory tower elitists who speak in some form of high brow intellectualism 24/7. (My dissertation chair is now lurking somewhere, ready to stab me for another run-on sentence.)
  • That story told at the end was an excellent set piece to the revelation. And let's face it, any of us would have done the same.
  • The villains are not Dan Brown-esque two dimensionally created. They have very human and fleshed out motivations. We especially see this with the sociopathic assassin's evolution as a character throughout. Also, it was nice to see a sociopath written as just a sociopath.
  • Lee Burvine did his research and it shows! Not just on the scientific aspects, but down to the settings as well. At a conference years ago, I was in San Francisco and ate at the cafe by the Golden Gate Bridge, walked across its span (long walk btw), etc. The details Burvine includes are great.
  • The audiobook price seemed a bit cringeworthy at first, but it's 10 hours long, so well worth the cost.

All in all, and bear in mind I'm Catholic, an excellent book.

Couldn't have said it better.

- Paul Dirac
26-11-2016, 02:27 PM
Thanks! And holy crap the drug scene...and when he had to give it to someone else too, knowing what was going to happen...

Also, dumped on Dan Brown a lot. So to share the load; this was also a nice departure from Vince Flynn-esque "it's been ten pages in a thriller, someone must die" and Dale Brown-esque, "time to whip out the perfect tech to save our heroes".

09-01-2017, 04:24 AM
In South Africa kaffir means nigger.
09-02-2017, 02:54 PM
Finished it a couple weeks ago. I've wondered about the idea of time viewing before reading the book, and wondered what would happen if we could see proof of the validity of so-called sacred texts. It's awesome to see someone writing a book about it.

Lee if you're still checking this out I have thoughts about all film adaptation:

- This book needs to pick up more attention. I really want to see it in film adaptation. I do have some concerns...
- Filmmakers may want to give the whole time viewing thing more attention. It may end up changing the plot quite a bit. Even though the book wasn't about the time viewing. It was about gaining control of the findings. The thriller centered on that.
- I really hope filmmakers don't view the time viewing thing as unsatisfying and want to turn it into full on time travel. Please don't. It's just not going to be "The Kafir Project" if they do.
- And of course there's the controversy. One of my biggest problems with Hollywood is that they've decided to start pulling back on being controversial. From the moment they're in the library and are able to get the secret video to the end of the book it's clear the last act will piss off a lot of people. But ooooh man, now's the time. Do it.

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like WalkingSnake's post