The Language of Mathematics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2011, 03:36 AM
The Language of Mathematics
I'll guess we all heard that "Mathematics is the universal language".

For some reason I got trouble believing that, but I can't really formulate why, since I lack a very basic understanding of modern mathematics. It seems to me that a universal language would be able to explain constants like pi and won't be based on a numbering-system matching the number of fingers we got... Assuming of course, that the base 10 system emerged because of our physiology, which makes sense to me.

Can we get a thread going about this?
I would really like to hear other opinions and views on the doctrine surrounding modern mathematics.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2011, 05:12 AM
RE: The Language of Mathematics
What they mean is that, "No matter what country, continent or planet you are from: The value you know as 2 + the value you know as 2 will always equal the value you know as 4."

No matter how complex, a mathematical formula can always be extracted from a situation.

The comparison fails where you define "universal" as; "understandable for everyone", since some formulae can be so complex, almost no one understands them.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
02-01-2012, 05:34 AM
(30-12-2011 05:12 AM)The_observer Wrote:  The comparison fails where you define "universal" as; "understandable for everyone", since some formulae can be so complex, almost no one understands them.

You sir, are a go... No, that comparison won't work, let me instead say a deep thanks for the reply, and after considerably thought I tend to agree. To imagine a so simple and elegant answer seems almost to much.

I've speculated on this for the better part of 10 years and not once did I came close.

Thanks Smile
02-01-2012, 06:42 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2012 06:46 AM by houseofcantor.)
Well, no. A hive mind may count down from one using geometry. It seems a trend, with primitive societies that have no need of time; the count goes, 1, 2, many. There's a certain human arrogance involved with with declarations like "universal language" - for one I speak three universal languages - for another language may not even matter to the universe. And mathematics is Incomplete and capable of Stringiness. Big Grin

That said, sho' nuff the language of mathematics - the art of logical consistency - valid Starfleet level technology; come outta buncha monkeys. The teenage math prodigy Wizard among men. That's true enough. Wink
Uh, sorry... you said, sho me the money! Here ya go. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]