The Largest Dinosaurs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2013, 09:25 PM
The Largest Dinosaurs
From the late Jurassic period, Amphicoelias Fragillimus, better known as the Seismosaurus or Supersaurus roamed the earth. It was 60m (~190ft) from head to tail and weighed in at a gargantuan 150 tons (300,000 lb). As a yardstick, this is equivalent to the dimensions and gross takeoff weight of a Boeing 767 wide body jetliner!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphicoelias_fragillimus

This is the largest land animal ever recorded to have existed. With the extinction of the dinosaurs, I wonder why natural selection never brought about any more cold blooded giants like A. Fragillimus? Are there simply not enough resources to support herds of animals that size today?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-07-2013, 10:40 PM
RE: The Largest Dinosaurs
Organisms are a product of their environment. To understand how wildly different the environment of today and that during the time of the dinosaurs - grass evolved AFTER the dinosaurs went extinct. Either the environment of today can't support larger organisms or it supports smaller organisms much more easier. Just a guess.
21-07-2013, 02:16 AM
(20-07-2013 09:25 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  From the late Jurassic period, Amphicoelias Fragillimus, better known as the Seismosaurus or Supersaurus roamed the earth. It was 60m (~190ft) from head to tail and weighed in at a gargantuan 150 tons (300,000 lb). As a yardstick, this is equivalent to the dimensions and gross takeoff weight of a Boeing 767 wide body jetliner!

This is the largest land animal ever recorded to have existed. With the extinction of the dinosaurs, I wonder why natural selection never brought about any more cold blooded giants like A. Fragillimus? Are there simply not enough resources to support herds of animals that size today?

I think it has to do with the absence of the necessary precursors.
Dinos evolved from the codonts or basal archosaurs during the Triassic. Many of the codonts had important features that are not seen in (for example) lizards, but were seen in dinos, ie..limbs tucked underneath their bodies to support the weight and bipedality. All the thecodonts were then extinct. So even if the environment did not change, there were no codonts left to evolve into dinosaurs.

So why didn't lizards evolve "gigantism" ? I think I was told lizards are different from the codonts in that they have legs out to the side which can't support large weights. Also it's a matter of competition. There was then, after the asteroid, many more mammals to compete with. Also, when the dinosaurs became extinct, the climate had cooled a lot. The poles were ice free during the age of the dinosaurs, but they are frozen today. Reptiles need a warm climate to evolve gigantism. The climate was no longer as warm as it once was, even with global warming. I think it was warmer then.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
21-07-2013, 02:40 AM
I almost wish we could see what monsters from that age really looked like and interacted.

Must have been many an interesting creature roaming the then plains of Australia.
... Imagine a Titanosaur roaming about...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
21-07-2013, 04:47 AM
(21-07-2013 02:40 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I almost wish we could see what monsters from that age really looked like and interacted.

Must have been many an interesting creature roaming the then plains of Australia.

Marsupial dinosaurs.

[Image: Kangaroo-28513.jpg]

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
21-07-2013, 05:23 AM
(21-07-2013 04:47 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(21-07-2013 02:40 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I almost wish we could see what monsters from that age really looked like and interacted.

Marsupial dinosaurs.

Oh fuck no!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
21-07-2013, 06:51 AM
(21-07-2013 05:23 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(21-07-2013 04:47 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Marsupial dinosaurs.

Oh fuck no!

Oh fuck yes!

[Image: Dinosaur-Kangaroo-72088.jpg]

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
22-07-2013, 07:26 AM
Don't mess with marsupials.
[Image: 723px-Diprotodon_australis_skeleton_1.JPG]

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
22-07-2013, 09:20 AM
(20-07-2013 09:25 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  From the late Jurassic period, Amphicoelias Fragillimus, better known as the Seismosaurus or Supersaurus roamed the earth. It was 60m (~190ft) from head to tail and weighed in at a gargantuan 150 tons (300,000 lb). As a yardstick, this is equivalent to the dimensions and gross takeoff weight of a Boeing 767 wide body jetliner!

Dinosaurs were not cold-blooded. Birds are dinosaurs and you can look at them and see why they never got that large again (although there were some pretty damn big birds in the Cenozoic). Dinosaurs (like birds since birds are dinosaurs) had air sacs. These effectively helped to lighten the skeleton, enabling large sizes in the dinosaurs, but light bodies for flight in birds. Selection took the same trait, 2 different ways.

The reason no other land organism has gotten that large is because they lack that adaptation.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
22-07-2013, 10:49 AM
These are always fun.

[Image: Longest_dinosaurs.svg]

[Image: Largesttheropods.png]

[Image: livyatan-size.jpg]