The Largest Dinosaurs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2013, 11:25 AM
RE: The Largest Dinosaurs
(22-07-2013 09:20 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(20-07-2013 09:25 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  From the late Jurassic period, Amphicoelias Fragillimus, better known as the Seismosaurus or Supersaurus roamed the earth. It was 60m (~190ft) from head to tail and weighed in at a gargantuan 150 tons (300,000 lb). As a yardstick, this is equivalent to the dimensions and gross takeoff weight of a Boeing 767 wide body jetliner!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphicoelias_fragillimus

This is the largest land animal ever recorded to have existed. With the extinction of the dinosaurs, I wonder why natural selection never brought about any more cold blooded giants like A. Fragillimus? Are there simply not enough resources to support herds of animals that size today?

Dinosaurs were not cold-blooded. Birds are dinosaurs and you can look at them and see why they never got that large again (although there were some pretty damn big birds in the Cenozoic). Dinosaurs (like birds since birds are dinosaurs) had air sacs. These effectively helped to lighten the skeleton, enabling large sizes in the dinosaurs, but light bodies for flight in birds. Selection took the same trait, 2 different ways.

The reason no other land organism has gotten that large is because they lack that adaptation.

I think I actually subscribe to the idea that dinosaurs where completely different animals altogether.

Birds descended from theropods, yes, but their evolution has changed them so dramatically that it can hardly be said that they are birds.

The same goes for the reptilian dinosaurs... they exhibit reptilian characteristics, but you can hardly call them a "reptile" by today's standards.

After all, most reptilian dinosaurs had to be warm blooded.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Phylogenetically, birds are dinosaurs in the same way humans are apes.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
22-07-2013, 11:29 AM
(22-07-2013 11:26 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Phylogenetically, birds are dinosaurs in the same way humans are apes.

Ahhh, I see what you're saying.

And, you mean theropods, right?

22-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks a lot, guys.

Now I've been reading up on dinosaurs all day.

(I... could pretend to be considering the biophysics, I suppose; that's less removed from what I should be doing...)

... this is my signature!
22-07-2013, 11:33 AM
(22-07-2013 11:29 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-07-2013 11:26 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Phylogenetically, birds are dinosaurs in the same way humans are apes.

Ahhh, I see what you're saying.

Correct. They are part of the "reptile-hipped" dinosaurs and not the "bird-hipped" in case it isn't confusing enough for you.

Evolve

Smartass
22-07-2013, 11:34 AM
I mean "lizard-hipped"

Evolve

Smartass
22-07-2013, 11:35 AM
(22-07-2013 11:33 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(22-07-2013 11:29 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Ahhh, I see what you're saying.

Correct. They are part of the "reptile-hipped" dinosaurs and not the "bird-hipped" in case it isn't confusing enough for you.

lol, no, I completely know what you're talking about.

Cohen's into dinosaurs right now, and I've watched approximately 3452345346345 hours of dinosaur documentaries on Netflix.

22-07-2013, 11:38 AM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2013 11:44 AM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
See below...

Need Drinking Beverage

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines. Breathe; Pink Floyd

22-07-2013, 11:43 AM
(22-07-2013 09:20 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(20-07-2013 09:25 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  From the late Jurassic period, Amphicoelias Fragillimus, better known as the Seismosaurus or Supersaurus roamed the earth. It was 60m (~190ft) from head to tail and weighed in at a gargantuan 150 tons (300,000 lb). As a yardstick, this is equivalent to the dimensions and gross takeoff weight of a Boeing 767 wide body jetliner!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphicoelias_fragillimus

This is the largest land animal ever recorded to have existed. With the extinction of the dinosaurs, I wonder why natural selection never brought about any more cold blooded giants like A. Fragillimus? Are there simply not enough resources to support herds of animals that size today?

Dinosaurs were not cold-blooded. Birds are dinosaurs and you can look at them and see why they never got that large again (although there were some pretty damn big birds in the Cenozoic). Dinosaurs (like birds since birds are dinosaurs) had air sacs. These effectively helped to lighten the skeleton, enabling large sizes in the dinosaurs, but light bodies for flight in birds. Selection took the same trait, 2 different ways.

The reason no other land organism has gotten that large is because they lack that adaptation.

Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told that in order to understand how dinosaurs grew so large, was to understand the earth's atmosphere -- and conditions of our planet at that time. The professor suggested the atmosphere at that time, might not have been what we consider breathable air.

He said something that before the asteroid hit, smaller animals had the advantage and were better suited to adapt to the environment.

I dunno but after hearing all that, I gave up building my time machine Dodgy

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines. Breathe; Pink Floyd

22-07-2013, 11:43 AM
(22-07-2013 11:38 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(22-07-2013 09:20 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Dinosaurs were not cold-blooded. Birds are dinosaurs and you can look at them and see why they never got that large again (although there were some pretty damn big birds in the Cenozoic). Dinosaurs (like birds since birds are dinosaurs) had air sacs. These effectively helped to lighten the skeleton, enabling large sizes in the dinosaurs, but light bodies for flight in birds. Selection took the same trait, 2 different ways.

Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told that in order to understand how dinosaurs grew so large, was to understand the earth's atmosphere -- and conditions of our planet at that time. The professor suggested the atmosphere at that time, might not have been what we consider breathable air. Larger species had a clear advantage over the smaller ones.

He said something that before the asteroid hit, smaller animals had the advantage and were better suited to adapt to the environment.

I dunno but after hearing all that, I gave up building my time machine :;

Sounds like some bro-science to me...

So... the Earth was pretty much like Pandora from Avatar?

Consider

Interesting, though.