The Largest Dinosaurs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2013, 11:47 AM
RE: The Largest Dinosaurs
(22-07-2013 11:43 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(22-07-2013 09:20 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Dinosaurs were not cold-blooded. Birds are dinosaurs and you can look at them and see why they never got that large again (although there were some pretty damn big birds in the Cenozoic). Dinosaurs (like birds since birds are dinosaurs) had air sacs. These effectively helped to lighten the skeleton, enabling large sizes in the dinosaurs, but light bodies for flight in birds. Selection took the same trait, 2 different ways.

The reason no other land organism has gotten that large is because they lack that adaptation.

Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told that in order to understand how dinosaurs grew so large, was to understand the earth's atmosphere -- and conditions of our planet at that time. The professor suggested the atmosphere at that time, might not have been what we consider breathable air.

He said something that before the asteroid hit, smaller animals had the advantage and were better suited to adapt to the environment.

I dunno but after hearing all that, I gave up building my time machine Dodgy

Conditions would need to have been favorable for that selection pressure to have been able to produce such large sizes, but dinosaurs seem to be the only animals who were capable due to physiological constraints. If the same conditions existed during the Cenozoic for instance, mammals would never have reached such large sizes. Elephants are about as big as we can get.

Evolve
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2013, 12:09 PM
(22-07-2013 11:43 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-07-2013 11:38 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told that in order to understand how dinosaurs grew so large, was to understand the earth's atmosphere -- and conditions of our planet at that time. The professor suggested the atmosphere at that time, might not have been what we consider breathable air. Larger species had a clear advantage over the smaller ones.

He said something that before the asteroid hit, smaller animals had the advantage and were better suited to adapt to the environment.

I dunno but after hearing all that, I gave up building my time machine :;

Sounds like some bro-science to me...

So... the Earth was pretty much like Pandora from Avatar?

Consider

Interesting, though.

I dunno, this was 1986 -- I took a few classes at UC Berkeley. This was a botany class -- at the time we were looking at fossilized plants from the late Triassic (sp?) period -- which was very cool. I can't recall now how the topic came up but someone brought up dinosaurs.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

22-07-2013, 12:15 PM
(22-07-2013 11:47 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(22-07-2013 11:43 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told that in order to understand how dinosaurs grew so large, was to understand the earth's atmosphere -- and conditions of our planet at that time. The professor suggested the atmosphere at that time, might not have been what we consider breathable air.

Conditions would need to have been favorable for that selection pressure to have been able to produce such large sizes, but dinosaurs seem to be the only animals who were capable due to physiological constraints. If the same conditions existed during the Cenozoic for instance, mammals would never have reached such large sizes. Elephants are about as big as we can get.

Blue whales. Just sayin'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-07-2013, 12:20 PM
(22-07-2013 12:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-07-2013 11:47 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Conditions would need to have been favorable for that selection pressure to have been able to produce such large sizes, but dinosaurs seem to be the only animals who were capable due to physiological constraints. If the same conditions existed during the Cenozoic for instance, mammals would never have reached such large sizes. Elephants are about as big as we can get.

Aren't they nearly extinct?

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

22-07-2013, 12:22 PM
(22-07-2013 11:43 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(22-07-2013 09:20 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Dinosaurs were not cold-blooded. Birds are dinosaurs and you can look at them and see why they never got that large again (although there were some pretty damn big birds in the Cenozoic). Dinosaurs (like birds since birds are dinosaurs) had air sacs. These effectively helped to lighten the skeleton, enabling large sizes in the dinosaurs, but light bodies for flight in birds. Selection took the same trait, 2 different ways.

The reason no other land organism has gotten that large is because they lack that adaptation.

Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told that in order to understand how dinosaurs grew so large, was to understand the earth's atmosphere -- and conditions of our planet at that time. The professor suggested the atmosphere at that time, might not have been what we consider breathable air.

We have time machines.
Glacier ice cores, sedimentary cores, amber, ...

During the Carboniferous Period, forests covered much of the land. When the climate cooled, the rainforest ecology collapsed. So much carbon had been sequestered that atmospheric oxygen was as high as 35% - compared to 21% today.

An oxygen-rich atmosphere would certainly enable giant life forms.
Welcome to the time machine.

22-07-2013, 12:23 PM
(22-07-2013 12:20 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(22-07-2013 12:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  Blue whales. Just sayin'.

Aren't they nearly extinct?

They're still bigger than elephants. And they seem to be going extinct due to anthropogenic action.

22-07-2013, 12:29 PM

Actually that's quite an interesting point to consider.

Blue whales are substantially larger than any known plesiosaur or ichthyosaur (which, if I recall correctly, are perhaps 20 metres at most). But then, blue whales are insanely huge even when compared to other whales.

... this is my signature!
22-07-2013, 12:39 PM
(22-07-2013 12:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-07-2013 11:47 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Conditions would need to have been favorable for that selection pressure to have been able to produce such large sizes, but dinosaurs seem to be the only animals who were capable due to physiological constraints. If the same conditions existed during the Cenozoic for instance, mammals would never have reached such large sizes. Elephants are about as big as we can get.

Terrestrial animals and marine animals have a completely different physiology.

Plus, there is the gravity difference between land and water.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
22-07-2013, 12:44 PM
(22-07-2013 12:39 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

Terrestrial animals and marine animals have a completely different physiology.

Plus, there is the gravity difference between land and water.

Whale physiology is very much like hippopotamus physiology.

There is a buoyancy difference, but I get what you mean.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Whales are supported in part by the water itself. So, terrestrial-wise, elephants are about it.

Evolve