The "Law" of Attraction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2013, 03:28 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2013 11:42 PM by LadyJane.)
The "Law" of Attraction
The Law of Attraction states that like attracts like. Positive thoughts sally forth from your body as magnetic energy, then return in the form of whatever it was you were thinking about. Such as money. So basically the only reason one does not have enough money is because they are blocking money from coming to them with their thoughts. So perhaps if those Ethiopians were not such a pessimistic bunch they could be rolling in the dough!

According to the director/author of The Secret (the movie/book with a similar scheme) states that “It has been proven scientifically that a positive thought is hundreds of times more powerful than a negative thought.” No, it hasn’t. I believe that the reason that this has become so popular and has gotten so much support is that Oprah endorsed it on her website. She said: “The energy you put into the world — both good and bad — is exactly what comes back to you. This means you create the circumstances of your life with the choices you make every day.” So according to that logic the Jews created the circumstances for the Germans to torture and kill them, good thinking Oprah, that's exactly what happened!

Don't get me wrong, I do think that thinking positively is much better than thinking negatively, but in reality all things are never equal no matter how positive your outlook may be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like ReasonandScience's post
01-05-2013, 07:08 AM
RE: The "Law" of Attraction
Positive and negative thought are equally important.

I am an optimist, and my husband was a pessimist. It was a perfect combination. He would come up with all the reasons why something would not work, which gave me all the issues to fix before embarking on something.

Worked like a charm.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
01-05-2013, 07:10 AM
There is a law that I have to find people similar to me attractive? Fuck da police!!

Tongue

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
03-05-2013, 12:11 PM
I never understood if this was true, then why are there dying children and starving people.

Humanists of West Florida
GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker
03-05-2013, 08:09 PM
I've heard Oprah said all kinds of stupid shit, so I'm not surprised that she believes this stupid shit, too.

I mean, if you're a dick to everybody you meet, you'll be treated poorly, etc. But they aren't talking about that, they're actually saying thinking happy thoughts magically makes good shit happen, essentially, that the universe knows your thoughts and rewards them (rather than your thinking having an impact on your outward actions). It seems to me that the reason people believe this, in spite of massive amounts of evidence to the contrary, is because it makes them feel good. Kind of like Peter Pan style magical thinking: if you say, "I don't believe in fairies," a fairy dies.

It's also clearly not poor and starving people who believe this (unless they are poor people who think they brought it on themselves).

Also, fuck being positive anyway.

But I digress: it reminds me of the wiccan idea that bad magic returns to you three-fold, the idea being you should only do positive woo. This also has the function of keeping people from finding out that their spells don't work. People always seemed to like the idea of karma, even though reality doesn't seem to conform to that at all.
03-05-2013, 08:52 PM
(03-05-2013 08:09 PM)amyb Wrote:  Also, fuck being positive anyway.

Pessimism About the Future May Lead to Longer, Healthier Life, Research Finds

'Course the study was done on a bunch of generally morose humorless Germans to begin with, make of that what you will. Wink

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-05-2013, 09:03 PM
(03-05-2013 08:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  'Course the study was done on a bunch of generally morose humorless Germans to begin with, make of that what you will. Wink
That's why I got my degree in the German language, I feel right at home dealing with morose, humorless Germans. ^_^

I saw something similar to that on The Colbert Report or the Daily Show, i think. Interview with a guy who wrote a book about it. I don't remember much else, but when he said what the book was about, I raised my glass and cheered at the television.

But back to Oprah: one time I fell asleep on the couch while an Oprah TV special was on, all about souls and god and the afterlife or some shit. I know this because I woke up partway through, it was all inspirational and used a lot of soft focus on filters on the credits. During my dream/nightmare, i was on a bus full of people and Oprah was there, shouting about souls. I was shouting back, "Fuck you Oprah! There is no evidence for souls." because I was getting very angry at all the woo going on around me and I knew it was live TV. [/digression]
03-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Well, basically all people are doing is changing their thought patterns in their brain to react more positive. Before the money wasn't enough. Now, the money is perfect and positive. Not a bad place to be Smile

The Secret is such a funny thing, I have a friend who bought shares and went to all the weekend workshops. She was convinced she could uproot her life and move across the country because that was where all her positive opportunity would be. Money. Down. The. Drain. But, she was happy (weird happy though).

Also, a major CEO of lulu lemon (yoga clothing line) was the founder of the Secret franchise. They do the same techniques for the lulu employees so they're happy working for next-to-nothing wages. Shocking But, they're all happy! And very at peace, zen like. A weird hypnotic zen-like.
03-05-2013, 09:07 PM
(03-05-2013 09:03 PM)amyb Wrote:  
(03-05-2013 08:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  'Course the study was done on a bunch of generally morose humorless Germans to begin with, make of that what you will. Wink
That's why I got my degree in the German language, I feel right at home dealing with morose, humorless Germans. ^_^

I saw something similar to that on The Colbert Report or the Daily Show, i think. Interview with a guy who wrote a book about it. I don't remember much else, but when he said what the book was about, I raised my glass and cheered at the television.

But back to Oprah: one time I fell asleep on the couch while an Oprah TV special was on, all about souls and god and the afterlife or some shit. I know this because I woke up partway through, it was all inspirational and used a lot of soft focus on filters on the credits. During my dream/nightmare, i was on a bus full of people and Oprah was there, shouting about souls. I was shouting back, "Fuck you Oprah! There is no evidence for souls." because I was getting very angry at all the woo going on around me and I knew it was live TV. [/digression]

[Image: ScreenShot2013-05-03at90613PM_zps1d420f5e.png]
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
03-05-2013, 11:23 PM
(03-05-2013 09:04 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Well, basically all people are doing is changing their thought patterns in their brain to react more positive. Before the money wasn't enough. Now, the money is perfect and positive. Not a bad place to be Smile

The Secret is such a funny thing, I have a friend who bought shares and went to all the weekend workshops. She was convinced she could uproot her life and move across the country because that was where all her positive opportunity would be. Money. Down. The. Drain. But, she was happy (weird happy though).

Also, a major CEO of lulu lemon (yoga clothing line) was the founder of the Secret franchise. They do the same techniques for the lulu employees so they're happy working for next-to-nothing wages. Shocking But, they're all happy! And very at peace, zen like. A weird hypnotic zen-like.

I think much if that has to do with the power of suggestion. And also if you as a boss if a company and you are excessively positive around your workers and our company the morale will naturally lift.