The "Leap" to Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2010, 06:29 PM
RE: The "Leap" to Atheism
My question is this: What makes you think that our "assumptions" are incorrect, and your "assumptions" are correct? Could it be the other way around? Could it be that we are both wrong? Have you explored these possibilities? Why is it nescessary to make assumptions or interpretations at all?

Answering all of these questions would be what most of us here consider "critical thinking". Often critical thinking is considering the other position instead of defending your own. I've considered your position in great depth. Can you say the same about mine?

Just sayin'

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2010, 05:28 PM
(02-09-2010 09:17 PM)BnW Wrote:  I think you take the use of the word "man" too literally as it generally refers to mankind.

Actually, I am not taking the word "man" literally at all. I haven't read much of the bible, but I believe it says that God created Adam first, right? And that he created him in his image. That implies that he created "man" in his image, because Eve was created from Adam's rib and not in God's image. (Please correct me if I'm wrong about this, like I said, I haven't read much of the bible.) Furthermore, if God created each sex of humans in his image, he would have to be a hermaphrodite (which makes more sense than a god being exclusively male or female).

2buckchuck: That is really interesting; I hadn't thought of that argument before. Oh, and incidentally, in the parts of the bible that I've read, God does use the word "us" a lot (bad translating, or the intended Hebrew meaning?), so perhaps there is a hypothetical Mrs. and Mr. God Tongue

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
05-09-2010, 05:47 PM
(05-09-2010 05:28 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  Actually, I am not taking the word "man" literally at all. I haven't read much of the bible, but I believe it says that God created Adam first, right? And that he created him in his image. That implies that he created "man" in his image, because Eve was created from Adam's rib and not in God's image. (Please correct me if I'm wrong about this, like I said, I haven't read much of the bible.) Furthermore, if God created each sex of humans in his image, he would have to be a hermaphrodite (which makes more sense than a god being exclusively male or female).

2buckchuck: That is really interesting; I hadn't thought of that argument before. Oh, and incidentally, in the parts of the bible that I've read, God does use the word "us" a lot (bad translating, or the intended Hebrew meaning?), so perhaps there is a hypothetical Mrs. and Mr. God Tongue

I don't mean to be rude here, but I'll butt in for a second. I have my handy dandy bible open here, and God created everything, including the Garden of Edan before Eve. It wasn't until after Adam named all the animals(and since we now know this is well into the billions, it must have taken a while) that God made Eve. It's almost as an after thought.

Genesis 2:20-22 Wrote:And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.

And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;

And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
05-09-2010, 07:21 PM
I believe he made all of mankind in his image, so Eve would be in his image too. Or not. I'm certainly not going to defend a biblical inconsistency.

I had forgotten that Adam named all the animals. You think maybe he figured out fermentation before he came up with "platypus"?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
05-09-2010, 08:51 PM
(05-09-2010 07:21 PM)BnW Wrote:  I believe he made all of mankind in his image, so Eve would be in his image too. Or not. I'm certainly not going to defend a biblical inconsistency.
By extension, I would saw that Eve was made in God's image. Only because she was made from Adam, and he was made in god's image. Certainly, they weren't created on equal grounds though.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
05-09-2010, 09:11 PM

(05-09-2010 08:51 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  
(05-09-2010 07:21 PM)BnW Wrote:  I believe he made all of mankind in his image, so Eve would be in his image too. Or not. I'm certainly not going to defend a biblical inconsistency.
By extension, I would saw that Eve was made in God's image. Only because she was made from Adam, and he was made in god's image. Certainly, they weren't created on equal grounds though.

So God has boobs? That REALLY makes breast cancer hard to explain then.
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2010, 10:25 PM
If god made man(and women) in his image, what about people who are born disfigured such as the elephant man? It seems to me that god's image may be a lot more than just a trinity.

I want to live in a sane world. Can somebody lend me a starship.
05-09-2010, 10:57 PM

I'm gonna do something weird here and advocate for Barley.

When Genesis speaks of being made in the image of god, most christians believe this speaks to man's ability to reason and understand morality. This reference has nothing to do with physical characteristics. In their opinion, this ability sets them apart from other animals and is part of the special status of man. Of course, this is hogwash since we know many animals have the ability to reason, that the understanding of morality, etc. comes from our enlarged brain and not from some special godly endowment.

Just trying to rescue you from arguments theists think uninformed and stupid. Smile
05-09-2010, 11:26 PM

(05-09-2010 10:57 PM)athnostic Wrote:  I'm gonna do something weird here and advocate for Barley.

When Genesis speaks of being made in the image of god, most christians believe this speaks to man's ability to reason and understand morality. This reference has nothing to do with physical characteristics. In their opinion, this ability sets them apart from other animals and is part of the special status of man. Of course, this is hogwash since we know many animals have the ability to reason, that the understanding of morality, etc. comes from our enlarged brain and not from some special godly endowment.

Just trying to rescue you from arguments theists think uninformed and stupid. Smile

Or, the argument for that could also be that God made the first man and woman in his image. Anything past then dealing with genetic defects is a product of sin and living away form biblical times.

They could always counter with the idea that these things (genetic defects and anomalies) are brought about from the modern use of chemicals, and the further we get from the original two, the further we are from his original image.
05-09-2010, 11:32 PM
Thanks for that!

I do find it strange, still, however, that the Bible refers to God as "He" and definitively so (in the original Hebrew verbs are actually conjugated to masculinity, femininity, or genderless, and the verbs that are conjugated after God are always male). What makes a male if not the genitals? Again, why would he have them? It's strange.

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user