The "Leap" to Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2010, 11:34 PM

RE: The "Leap" to Atheism
(05-09-2010 11:32 PM)LeviTimes Wrote:  Thanks for that!

I do find it strange, still, however, that the Bible refers to God as "He" and definitively so (in the original Hebrew verbs are actually conjugated to masculinity, femininity, or genderless, and the verbs that are conjugated after God are always male). What makes a male if not the genitals? Again, why would he have them? It's strange.

We only have them so that God could create the fig leaf. Without penises, there would be no figs. When you eat a fig, you must give glory to God.
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2010, 11:38 PM

The answer I always heard to that involved "the times" and the fact that if god were not portrayed as male, no bronze age male ever would have listened to him.

Being male was a symbol of authority and knowledge. Women were peons with no education, no prospects, and very little respect. Thank god (ahem) times have changed, at least outside the muslim world.
06-09-2010, 06:53 AM
athnostic

I think the problem with your argument on "God's image" is that the Bible does not say that. It's in interpretation, and probably one added to account for some of the questions that have been brought up. I know this is what theists will argue, but why is that argument correct? This is the literal word of God we're taking about here. Who are we mere mortals to interpret it?

I understand the point, but I disagree with it. Theists offer many rationals to explain the inconsistencies within the bible and between the bible and the real world. It doesn't mean that we have to except these explanations as anything more than just backpedaling, though. And, I don't.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2010, 09:40 AM

(06-09-2010 06:53 AM)BnW Wrote:  I think the problem with your argument on "God's image" is that the Bible does not say that. It's in interpretation, and probably one added to account for some of the questions that have been brought up.

Yep.

Quote: I know this is what theists will argue, but why is that argument correct?

It's not. It's like arguing over whether unicorns have pink or purple manes.

Quote:I understand the point, but I disagree with it.

I sure hope so, or I'd be on the wrong forum!
06-09-2010, 10:01 AM

(05-09-2010 10:57 PM)athnostic Wrote:  When Genesis speaks of being made in the image of god, most christians believe this speaks to man's ability to reason and understand morality. This reference has nothing to do with physical characteristics. In their opinion, this ability sets them apart from other animals and is part of the special status of man. Of course, ...
When I see the word "image", I interpret that in visual terms, not some sort of abstract notion of reasoning capability. I certainly can't make any objectively validated claim about what "most christians believe" ... but I would guess (without having done a careful survey) that most fundies would interpret "image" as I have - physical characteristics, not some abstract quality. If some moderate christian chooses to interpret "image" in a more abstract, metaphorical way, that certainly is pretty far removed from any reasonably literal interpretation of the words and pretty evidently is a rationalization to avoid the obvious literal interpretation of "image".
06-09-2010, 08:35 PM

I'm pretty sure that Mary is "Mrs. God" and god needed genitals to impregnate her with himself. Tongue
14-09-2010, 12:12 AM
(05-09-2010 10:57 PM)athnostic Wrote:  I'm gonna do something weird here and advocate for Barley.

When Genesis speaks of being made in the image of god, most christians believe this speaks to man's ability to reason and understand morality. This reference has nothing to do with physical characteristics. In their opinion, this ability sets them apart from other animals and is part of the special status of man. Of course, this is hogwash since we know many animals have the ability to reason, that the understanding of morality, etc. comes from our enlarged brain and not from some special godly endowment.

Just trying to rescue you from arguments theists think uninformed and stupid. Smile

The argument that the phrase "image of god" means that we were made with the ability to reason and understand morality falls aparts when you read the story of Adam and Even and the Fall. Adam and Eve were not able to know wrong from right. The snake entices Eve saying "if you eat from the fruit of the tree you will be like god, knowing right from wrong". This passage suggests that they did not have that ability to reason or understand morality, only obedience.
(06-09-2010 08:35 PM)Sunshine Wrote:  I'm pretty sure that Mary is "Mrs. God" and god needed genitals to impregnate her with himself. Tongue

So he did his mom....lol
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply