"The Ledge" vs. "God's Not Dead"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2015, 02:34 PM
RE: "The Ledge" vs. "God's Not Dead"
(14-05-2015 01:59 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(14-05-2015 01:50 PM)pablo Wrote:  I thought Religulous would have been better without Bill Maher being a smarmy, self-important, dick. His position of superiority doesn't really help improve how atheism is viewed by the general public.
I like Bill most of the time, but he can be a snob sometimes.

Yeah, but that's his schtick.

I loved Religulous too. Even before I left religion behind. I know though that Bill Maher can be a lot to handle. Conservatives and Christians look at him shake their heads and say, "That's how they are." So yeah, I get that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2015, 02:36 PM
(14-05-2015 01:25 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  As my atheism is recent, I've only recently been seeking out movies with an atheist theme.

"The Ledge" was pretty good. And I saw "God's Not Dead" Facepalm wow. But it's important to at least know what inspired "God's Not Dead". I sense a lot of frustration that Christians felt a little picked on by Hollywood. Especially with movies like "The Ledge", but even before that. How many Christian movie critics have said, "oh of course, the religious guy is the bad guy."

Then there's the complexity that's in character development that smart movie watchers actually appreciate, that many conservative Christians peculiarly seem to hate. I'm talking specifically about how the bad guy isn't all bad and how the good guy isn't all good. I don't know how many times I've gone to church and heard the pastor complain about movies and say, "Well, with movies these days, I don't know who I'm rooting for. The bad guy is good, and the good guy is bad!" With "God's Not Dead", finally, oh, FINALLY, we get a movie where we have a nice, good, clean cut, cookie cutter Christian going up against an evil, bad, liberal, atheist with an empty heart who hates all things good especially God. FINALLY!

Now I could write a book on the problems with "God's Not Dead". But the 2 dimensional characters in the movie is what concerns me for this thread. And "The Ledge" isn't as bad, but it still gets a little bit simple with the idea that the villain is bad and the hero is good, to the point that unfortunately Christians will feel too offended to get the real message that the film has to deliver. And I agree, it's a good message.

A small flaw with "The Ledge", when the 2 main characters are on the roof, and he's showing her the stars in the sky at night, and it's a clear night.... ?!?! Isn't this in the middle of downtown?! There's a factory right behind the hotel that the movie makes us very well aware of at the beginning of the film. That night would not be that clear. It was a beautiful moment. I loved the message he was trying to convey to her. But I'm also from the city. Our nights are not that beautiful to look at.

Also, I have another problem with the characterization. I'm glad we have a movie that attempts to open a dialogue about atheism. That's great. But I had a problem with the atheist character, that he had a tragic past. Now this may be my own problem. In fact, I really would not ask the director to change that. But I would like for once an atheist character for which nothing tragic happened in their past. Now, I'm unclear as to whether him losing his daughter affected his turning to atheism or if he already was. But you can see why Christians look at things like that, and then ask real atheists, "What happened to you that made you an atheist?"

Anyway, I'm hoping more movies are pumped out that cause us to have open dialogue on theism. (Yes, I am grateful to "God's Not Dead" for that much at least).

Jesus Camp - Not really an Atheist movie. But it defiantly made a strong case for it. Find out things like shunning, thought crimes, brain washing and HARRY POTTER IS THE DEVIL!

Monty Pythons Meaning of Life - Everything from why Catholics have so many kids to a song on how insignificant we are in the universe.

Monty Python the Life of Brian - Again not really an Atheist movie but it made me think about how easily people can be fooled into thinking certon ways. Plus it hilarious.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 4 users Like Commonsensei's post
16-05-2015, 02:24 AM
Somewhat off topic, but when I was with my ex, her and her monther would criticize me over reading and watching Harry Potter....

....then those 2 bitches couldn't put down the Twilight shit. Hypocrites.
16-05-2015, 04:37 AM
(14-05-2015 01:25 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  ...
But you can see why Christians look at things like that, and then ask real atheists, "What happened to you that made you an atheist?"

Off topic but I wanted to comment on the above.

I often get this one and I have been replying variously with:
a) "Just lucky, I guess."
b) "I had the critical-thinking anti-virus App uploaded to my necktop before any cultware could do any damage."
c) I learned about Greek and Roman mythology before I learned about Judaic polytheism."

... depending on how I'm feeling and whether I can be bothered with getting into a conversation.

Perhaps, given the growing numbers of 'nones', it's time we started turning the tables?

How about this:

"What happened to you that made you an atheist?"
"Pretty much the same as for you, I'd imagine."
"Oh! But I'm not an atheist!"
... with as much sympathy as can be mustered:
"I'm sorry to hear that. What happened to you?"

Big Grin

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
16-05-2015, 05:46 PM
(16-05-2015 02:24 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Somewhat off topic, but when I was with my ex, her and her monther would criticize me over reading and watching Harry Potter....

I dont blame her! Talking Snakes, magic, the prophecy of the son who will save the day. Surely no one would believe that stuff is true.
[+] 1 user Likes TheStraightener's post