The Leftovers. New HBO Series.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2014, 12:50 PM
The Leftovers. New HBO Series.
Another show centered around religion is set to start on June 29th. The Leftovers is a series about the people who were left behind after a global Rapture. Is this really necessary? I'm sure we will probably hear feedback from religious people about it. If I wasn't so biased on religious stuff i'd say it looks like a good show especially since it stars one of my favorite Doctor Who stars, the ninth doctor, Christopher Eccleston.

Trailer:

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Re: The Leftovers. New HBO Series.
28 days later star you mean. If it js geared that way would be attention grabbing, otherwise, just let it come and fail on it's own.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
08-07-2014, 03:32 PM
RE: The Leftovers. New HBO Series.
I'd kind of like to see a film where all of the really annoying religious figures disappear one by one thanks to the rapture. That's it; the entire movie. People you recognize and loathe having a minute or two to really get under your skin and then disappearing. Thanks, god. You're a pal. Smile

On a more serious note, though, is anyone watching it? I'd be interested if someone could point out why it might be worth seeing. Regardless of what I actually believe.
08-07-2014, 06:45 PM
IDK looks like complete fiction to me. I didn't see anything the previews that looked biblical or preachy.
08-07-2014, 07:20 PM
I watched the pilot, it was okay. Of course there were religious themes, given the subject matter, but it was definitely not "religious". The story line was vague and creepy, I guess because they want you to be intrigued and confused about what's going on.

I've gotta see more to really develop an opinion, but it looks interesting.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
09-07-2014, 07:40 AM
I've been watching it (2 episodes thus far), and it doesn't portray itself as a post-rapture show. There was an unavoidable "maybe the rapture" posit with a couple characters, but was dismissed when they realized that Gary Bussey made the cut. It centers more around this weird smoking cult and the sheriff. It's got that "what the hell is going on?" vibe.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
10-07-2014, 09:40 AM
(08-07-2014 03:32 PM)bobsyeruncle Wrote:  I'd kind of like to see a film where all of the really annoying religious figures disappear one by one thanks to the rapture. That's it; the entire movie. People you recognize and loathe having a minute or two to really get under your skin and then disappearing. Thanks, god. You're a pal. Smile

On a more serious note, though, is anyone watching it? I'd be interested if someone could point out why it might be worth seeing. Regardless of what I actually believe.

You would become rich if you made that movie happen lol

(08-07-2014 06:45 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  IDK looks like complete fiction to me. I didn't see anything the previews that looked biblical or preachy.

It's about the aftermath of a rapture, rapture being an idea created by interpreting versus in the bible.

(08-07-2014 07:20 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I watched the pilot, it was okay. Of course there were religious themes, given the subject matter, but it was definitely not "religious". The story line was vague and creepy, I guess because they want you to be intrigued and confused about what's going on.

I've gotta see more to really develop an opinion, but it looks interesting.

Thanks for the summary!

(09-07-2014 07:40 AM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  I've been watching it (2 episodes thus far), and it doesn't portray itself as a post-rapture show. There was an unavoidable "maybe the rapture" posit with a couple characters, but was dismissed when they realized that Gary Bussey made the cut. It centers more around this weird smoking cult and the sheriff. It's got that "what the hell is going on?" vibe.

Weird as they marketed it as a post rapture show.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze