The Little Prince, a christian parable?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2014, 10:45 AM
The Little Prince, a christian parable?
Yesterday, a friend of mine (catholic) was saying that The Little Prince from Antoine de Saint-Exupéry was more like a christian parable than a simple novella.

His main arguments were something like these:
- He (the prince) is free from sin
- He talks about an afterlife
- His star really is his heaven, to were he returns after he died
- A snake representing satan

I read The Little Prince some time ago but it never occurred to me that it might be a christian parable or something like that. In fact I was sure Antoine de Saint-Exupéry was more like an atheist or agnostic (I read something about it somewhere).

Since I read the book with atheist eyes it didn't come to me that it could have some hidden christian metaphors...

What do you think about this?

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2014, 11:14 AM
RE: The Little Prince, a christian parable?
I think if a Christian goes looking for Christian metaphors, they will find them.

The Little Prince is a rich enough work to support almost any interpretation imaginable. I never saw anything religious in it, but then, I never looked at it with religious eyes.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
20-11-2014, 11:18 AM (This post was last modified: 20-11-2014 11:40 AM by Bucky Ball.)
It's complete bullshit.
He was a French Humanitarian/Humanist. The POINT of "The Little Prince" is that the Fox teaches him that it is the *time wasted* on his rose, that made his rose important, not what it looked like, etc etc.

http://www.angelfire.com/hi/littleprince...ter21.html

I really like Saint-Exupery. He came up with what is my view of friendship.
“Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-11-2014, 02:54 PM
(20-11-2014 11:14 AM)cjlr Wrote:  I think if a Christian goes looking for Christian metaphors, they will find them.

^^^^ Agree!!

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

20-11-2014, 03:01 PM
(20-11-2014 11:18 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It's complete bullshit.
He was a French Humanitarian/Humanist. The POINT of "The Little Prince" is that the Fox teaches him that it is the *time wasted* on his rose, that made his rose important, not what it looked like, etc etc.

http://www.angelfire.com/hi/littleprince...ter21.html

I really like Saint-Exupery. He came up with what is my view of friendship.
“Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction.

Even if Saint-Exupery were a christian (or muslim or whatever) I wouldn't mind, I'd still read The Little Prince again and again...

[+] 1 user Likes KVron's post
20-11-2014, 08:49 PM (This post was last modified: 20-11-2014 09:08 PM by CleverUsername.)
(20-11-2014 11:14 AM)cjlr Wrote:  I think if a Christian goes looking for Christian metaphors, they will find them.

Oh, yes, they have the super annoying habit of seeing something that shows up in their mythology being used in a story and thinking there's no way anyone could possibly use this concept without it being a reference to them.

Just more of the "All about me/us!" mentality. Dodgy

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
21-11-2014, 06:52 AM

Very much so. I used to do that with my favorite movies, for reasons that I cannot explain. I remember trying it with The Matrix. Hell, I'm pretty sure I tried it with Fight Club.