The Long, Slow Death of My Homophobia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2017, 07:57 AM
RE: The Long, Slow Death of My Homophobia
(25-05-2017 05:39 AM)AB517 Wrote:  
(20-05-2017 07:17 AM)BeccaBoo Wrote:  It’s a new day. Time to live bigger and better.

-BeccaBoo

are you coming out soon?

Why do you ask?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2017, 07:59 AM
BeccaBoo Wrote:1. Some believe obedience to the law is required by their religion.
2. Some believe in some flavor of theocracy.

Yes, we have to obey laws but it has nothing to do with being legally married by human laws.
I wonder what else you don't know about religion which was part of your life for 40 years.

BeccaBoo Wrote:(However, Joseph Smith broke the law secretly and used the temple to keep polygamy a secret.
Ay, Dios Mio, BeccaBoo.
What law did he break?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
25-05-2017, 08:01 AM
BeccaBoo Wrote:To your point about doctrine, it has explicitly changed in Mormonism.
Really? Please, give me a list of doctrines that were changed?

25-05-2017, 08:03 AM
(25-05-2017 07:49 AM)Alla Wrote:  
Robvalue Wrote:If religious people see marriage as a contract with God, why do they so often also desire a societal contract bound by human law?
This is how I understand this.
When LDS couples decide to be sealed in the Temple for ETERNITY it means they are READY to make covenant/promises before God and before witnesses that they want to be together for TIME and ETERNITY.
To be married by human law also means to make a covenant to be together FOR TIME no matter what happens. They MAKE PROMISES to each other.
If a man and a woman are NOT READY to make this kind of promises to each other for a life time before witnesses they are definitely are NOT ready to make covenant to be together for eternity. This is why they can not be sealed for eternity. You have to be ready. To be sealed for eternity is big deal, it is not a joke to make this kind of promises.

P.S. I always wanted to ask: If papers don't matter then why not marry? No big deal, no big difference.

But also the LDS Church defines chastity as only having sexual relations with one's spouse (cannot be same sex) to whom one is "legally and lawfully" wed. It is LDS doctrine that marriage requires acknowledgement/legalisation of the state.

This is likely an artifact of Mormons discarding polygamy among the living in order to be eligible for US statehood.
25-05-2017, 08:22 AM
(25-05-2017 08:01 AM)Alla Wrote:  
BeccaBoo Wrote:To your point about doctrine, it has explicitly changed in Mormonism.
Really? Please, give me a list of doctrines that were changed?

Among the most obvious is that blacks were the seed of Cain and unworthy. Then there's the teaching that Lamanites are the principle ancestors of Native Americans. Of course, that polygamy was required for exaltation is another. More from Brigham Young: that Adam is God the Father. Another is that birth control is an abomination. And another is that the Book of Abraham is a translation of Egyptian hieroglyphics from papyri bought in Kirtland, Ohio.

There are changes to the temple endowment, the explicit blood oaths have been removed but the symbols of it are still there. And there have veen many changes to the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants/Book of commandments. The teachings on the First Vision have changed...Brigham Young taught a contradictory account.
[+] 1 user Likes BeccaBoo's post
25-05-2017, 08:22 AM
(25-05-2017 07:40 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Alla...no. From your own church's website:

Quote:In 1852, President Brigham Young publicly announced that men of black African descent could no longer be ordained to the priesthood, though thereafter blacks continued to join the Church through baptism and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost. Following the death of Brigham Young, subsequent Church presidents restricted blacks from receiving the temple endowment or being married in the temple. Over time, Church leaders and members advanced many theories to explain the priesthood and temple restrictions. None of these explanations is accepted today as the official doctrine of the Church.

So, according to B.Young one group of people couldn't have certain blessing - black African descent. How about black people of Caribbean decent?
Could they have priesthood?

Why only black people of African descent? Did Brigham Young explained? Did he give a reason why black people of African descent couldn't have priesthood? how about black people of Caribbean descent?
You may assume anything but do you know why that particular group was chosen?
definitely it has nothing to do with their skin color if black people of Caribbean descent could have priesthood.

25-05-2017, 08:30 AM
(25-05-2017 08:22 AM)BeccaBoo Wrote:  
(25-05-2017 08:01 AM)Alla Wrote:  Really? Please, give me a list of doctrines that were changed?

Among the most obvious is that blacks were the seed of Cain and unworthy. Then there's the teaching that Lamanites are the principle ancestors of Native Americans. Of course, that polygamy was required for exaltation is another. More from Brigham Young: that Adam is God the Father. Another is that birth control is an abomination. And another is that the Book of Abraham is a translation of Egyptian hieroglyphics from papyri bought in Kirtland, Ohio.

There are changes to the temple endowment, the explicit blood oaths have been removed but the symbols of it are still there. And there have veen many changes to the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants/Book of commandments. The teachings on the First Vision have changed...Brigham Young taught a contradictory account.

Wow, BeccaBoo.
I am not sure what you were doing for 40 years, sister Heart. Your answers surprise me a lot.
I have to leave now but I will respond to your points.

25-05-2017, 08:46 AM
(24-05-2017 03:11 PM)Alla Wrote:  Hi beautiful Heart Emma Heart I love your new picture. Looking good, girl! Thumbsup

Aww thank you! Smile
25-05-2017, 09:00 AM
I've got few more minutes.

Alla Wrote:Please, give me a list of doctrines that were changed?

BeccaBoo Wrote:Among the most obvious is that blacks were the seed of Cain and unworthy.
It is not a doctrine. But if we assume it is a doctrine it was never Church's doctrine.

BeccaBoo Wrote:Then there's the teaching that Lamanites are the principle ancestors of Native Americans.
It is not a doctrine. It was never a doctrine

BeccaBoo Wrote:Of course, that polygamy was required for exaltation is another.
It is still LDS doctrine.

BeccaBoo Wrote:More from Brigham Young: that Adam is God the Father.
It is not Church doctrine and never was.

BeccaBoo Wrote:Another is that birth control is an abomination.
I never heard about this doctrine. Who taught it?

BeccaBoo Wrote:And another is that the Book of Abraham is a translation of Egyptian hieroglyphics from papyri bought in Kirtland, Ohio.
BeccaBoo, how did this "doctrine" change?

BeccaBoo Wrote:There are changes to the temple endowment, the explicit blood oaths have been removed but the symbols of it are still there.
Ay, Dios Mio. BeccaBoo,
you were LDS for 40 years but you don't know BASIC things. I am LDS since 2003(less than 40 years) and I know that RITUAL is NOT a doctrine. Rituals can change. TRUTH never changes. Rituals change all the time. Rituals are made by men for better understanding, learning. Methods of learning can change.

BeccaBoo Wrote:And there have veen many changes to the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants/Book of commandments.
Yes, but those changes were not doctrinal. What BOM doctrines were changed? Please, give me a list. May be you know something I still don't know.

BeccaBoo Wrote:The teachings on the First Vision have changed...Brigham Young taught a contradictory account.
What changed (specifically)?

25-05-2017, 09:10 AM
(25-05-2017 07:59 AM)Alla Wrote:  
BeccaBoo Wrote:1. Some believe obedience to the law is required by their religion.
2. Some believe in some flavor of theocracy.

Yes, we have to obey laws but it has nothing to do with being legally married by human laws.
I wonder what else you don't know about religion which was part of your life for 40 years.

BeccaBoo Wrote:(However, Joseph Smith broke the law secretly and used the temple to keep polygamy a secret.
Ay, Dios Mio, BeccaBoo.
What law did he break?

Joseph ordered assassination, he married dozens of women, including women who were married to living men. He played word games to hide polygamy from the church. Even then, Joseph broke the theocratic "law" of polygamy proclaimed in D&C 132:

Joseph married women without Emma's consent or knowledge, he married women who were not virgins, he married women who were already married.

In addition to that, Joseph used coercion to induce women to marry him. He promised exaltation to Helen Mar Kimball and her family if she married, she was only 14 years old. He told several women that he would be destroyed by an angel if they did not marry him. He abused their belief in his prophet status to obtain their "consent" to marry.

The temple was a way for polygamy participants to gather and swear secrecy.
[+] 2 users Like BeccaBoo's post