The Long, Slow Death of My Homophobia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2017, 07:59 PM
RE: The Long, Slow Death of My Homophobia
TO ANJELE
Yes, BeccaBoo is reasonable and fair. But the things she says make for me hard to believe she was LDS for 40 years. She surprises me with statements she makes.
She sounds more like someone who never have been LDS. But that is OK.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2017, 08:00 PM
(24-05-2017 10:14 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Alla,
I think Anderson Cooper said it for us.
Laughat

I agree with Cooper Thumbsup

25-05-2017, 08:07 PM
Alla Wrote:What law did he break?
BeccaBoo Wrote:he married dozens of women, including women who were married to living men.
Where did he marry them? What organization issued marriage licenses?
What law did he break?

BeccaBoo Wrote:Joseph ordered assassination
Tell me more about it, please.

BeccaBoo Wrote:Even then, Joseph broke the theocratic "law" of polygamy proclaimed in D&C 132
Explain, please. I want to know your understanding.

26-05-2017, 12:07 AM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2017 12:25 AM by BeccaBoo.)
(25-05-2017 07:14 PM)Alla Wrote:  
BeccaBoo Wrote:Blacks as the seed of Cain, from the Pearl of Great Price:
You say this doctrine changed. How?

BeccaBoo Wrote:Brigham Young taught that monogamy was not enough for exaltation. Are you really saying that we are still taught this in the Church, that men MUST take on mutliple wives to be exalted?
He was talking about those men who were called by God to have more than one wife but rejected this call. Those who are called by God to have more than one wife and reject the call can NOT be exalted. It was not because they had one wife but it is because they rejected the call to have more than one wife.
This doctrine didn't change. We still believe that if a man rejects God's call to have more than one wife he can not be exalted.
It will be more exalted women than men that is why many men will have more than one wife in eternity.
This doctrine did NOT change. You say it did. What changed?

BeccaBoo Wrote:In revelation Joseph Smith referred to the American Indian as Lamanites.
OK, How did the doctrine change?

BeccaBoo Wrote:As President of the Church, Brigham Young also taught the Adam/God Theory for twenty-five years.
So? Did he make this "doctrine" a Church doctrine?
Was it included in Standard Works?
If it never was a Church doctrine and if it never was included in Standard Works why should I care if it changed or not?

BeccaBoo Wrote:Many taught against birth control, although now the current handbook sings a different tune, so it's changed. Here's a list of quotes: http://emp.byui.edu/SATTERFIELDB/Quotes/...20Size.htm
Oh, this! What changed? What is taught differently?

BeccaBoo Wrote:In reference to the Book of Abraham being a direct translation of Egyptian papyri, the church is not walking back this claim. The Church now says the papyri could have just served as inspiration, not as a literally translated document, here's the church website:
OK. Prophets express their opinions. Opinions are not doctrines. So, what changed?

BeccaBoo, I have a question for you. You have to know the answer. Who are the Lamanites according to the BOM?

Don't ask me obvious questions, Alla. You're not a baby. I've given you several doctrinal changes to chew on, so deal with it.

Here's one more, in reference to your final question: the Book of Mormon title page used to call the Lamanites the"principle ancestors of the native American." Now that has been quietly changed to the Lamanites are "among the principle ancestors..."

According to the Book of Mormon, the Lamanites and Nephites were clans started when the children of Lehi came to the Americas after escaping Jerusalem with the brass plates of Laban. Laman and Lemuel and their families split off from Nephi, and two warring nations arose over time. The Lamanites were initially wicked and stiff-necked while the Nephites were God's chosen people. After generations of turmoil including a visit of Christ to the people, there was eventually one final battle where the Nephites were destroyed. Lamanities remained.

Joseph Smith says an angel directed him to golden plates made by the Nephites as a record of their people in America, and Joseph used a rock in a hat to "translate" the "Reformed Egyptian" on the plates into English. This rock is called a seerstone or peepstone, and it is the same stone Joseph used to look for treasure when he went treasure hunting with his family and friends, using magical techniques of the occult.

Here's something else the church doesn't generally teach on Sunday:

In the 1800's in New England, European colonists would see the remnants of native American nations like the temple mounds they'd built, and they would see the dark-skinned natives. They couldn't believe that dark-skinned people could have built the civilisations evidenced before them.

Among Protestant Christians especially, it became a common speculation that the remaining native Americans were Israelites. Joseph Smith turned that into belief with the Book of Mormon. In the Book of Mormon, the white Nephites are responsible for the advanced civilisation, but since the white Nephites ecentually get destroyed and the darker Lamanites survive in the Book of Mormon, the colonists now are given an explanation for dark native Americans and the evidence of advanced civilisation.

But DNA has changed the narrative. Native Americans are shown by DNA to be of East Asian ancestry, not with Israelite DNA. So the church changed the introduction of Lamanites in the Book of Mormon from "principle ancestors" to "among."

And now my Polynesian friend knows her historical identity was hijacked by the Church for most of her life, because racist Christians had to make the world they saw fit the narrative they believed.

Alla, there are many things most Mormons are not taught on Sunday about church history. The actual documented history can sound very different to LDS because the church tells them to only read grom church-approved sources. But the internet has changed that. More and more Mormons are learning the big picture and leaving the church.

I didn't get shocked by church history when I left the church. I left at the beginning of 2017 because I knew Joseph Smith was not a prophet. I knew it when I learned more about human nature.

You probably don't want to believe any of this, and that is the normal response. But if you ever allow yourself to consider the possibility that the church is not true and then look at it all that way, it can be extremely painful. There is help and support for you if that time ever comes.
[+] 6 users Like BeccaBoo's post
26-05-2017, 12:13 AM
@Alla.... from what I can tell Becca sounds like someone who has bothered to learn about the LDS, the actual historical record, not the lies they feed you.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
26-05-2017, 12:40 AM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2017 12:43 AM by BeccaBoo.)
(26-05-2017 12:13 AM)JesseB Wrote:  @Alla.... from what I can tell Becca sounds like someone who has bothered to learn about the LDS, the actual historical record, not the lies they feed you.

Thanks for that, Jesse.

I was born into a faithful Mormon family, eight kids. We attended and my father has been a bishop multiple times. Four of my brothers served missions, and they were each married in the temple. I attended the Mormon university BYU. I met my husband there and six months later we were married in the temple. We both graduated from BYU and were busy serving in the church and raising our children, seven of them, until early this year when we left the church.

This stuff is the paradigm of my life...I grew up singing Book of Mormon Stories, Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree, I Hope They Call Me on a Mission, and I'm So Glad When Daddy Comes Home. I Am A Child of God is perhaps the most often sung song of my life.

I still have my temple garments but don't wear them anymore. My sixteen year old son still goes to church and I'll be taking him this Sunday because we respect his desire to believe.

All this is part of me, including the terrible fact that I now know it's based on lies. I'm trying to be grateful for the good that I experienced despite the lies, that I was raised by loving parents and that I have seven beautiful children and a loving husband, who also knows the church is not true.
[+] 3 users Like BeccaBoo's post
26-05-2017, 05:21 AM
(25-05-2017 07:57 AM)BeccaBoo Wrote:  
(25-05-2017 05:39 AM)AB517 Wrote:  are you coming out soon?

Why do you ask?

Your post look likes a billboard.
26-05-2017, 05:38 AM
(26-05-2017 05:21 AM)AB517 Wrote:  Your post look likes a billboard.

Whereas you look like a doorknob Drinking Beverage

[Image: dumb_as_a_door_knob_by_thycallmeawsome.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
26-05-2017, 06:34 AM
(26-05-2017 05:21 AM)AB517 Wrote:  
(25-05-2017 07:57 AM)BeccaBoo Wrote:  Why do you ask?

Your post look likes a billboard.

Fair enough. It kinda is.

When I joined TTA it was as a believing Mormon and I spent considerable time arguing against same-sex marriage.

So you can consider this post my apology by way of billboard/PSA.
[+] 3 users Like BeccaBoo's post
26-05-2017, 07:14 AM
JesseB Wrote:@Alla.... from what I can tell Becca sounds like someone who has bothered to learn about the LDS, the actual historical record, not the lies they feed you.

Just when I joined Church 13 years ago I had an opportunity to read all those sources BeccaBoo is talking to me about right now. She is not the first from whom I hear all this. I told myself; "oh my, I better run away from this evil Church".
But I didn't, I followed my gut feeling I continued to go to Church while I still continued to study anti-Mormon sources. Eventually I came to conclusion that many of those sources are distorted information, misunderstood information, probably even intentional lies.
I can not be sure but I have this strong suspicion that BeccaBoo didn't leave Church because she did her re-search. She started to do her re-search because she already wanted to leave the Church. But this is OK with me. She has the right to make her own decisions and I will never judge her for leaving the Church. I still believe she is my spiritual sister. She is still someone whom I would serve with gladness if we knew each other personally.

P.S. many things that were quoted can be easily misunderstood. All those source are subjects to interpretation and people usually interpret the same things differently.