The Long, Slow Death of My Homophobia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2017, 08:49 AM
RE: The Long, Slow Death of My Homophobia
(26-05-2017 08:21 AM)Alla Wrote:  
BeccaBoo Wrote:For the Cain subject, the change is that the curse was doctrine and now the church said it was not doctrine.
where does it say?

The quotes already provided have established that it was doctrine that blacks were not eligible for the priesthood due to cursings.

Now the church says differently,

From the church website:

"In 1852, President Brigham Young publicly announced that men of black African descent could no longer be ordained to the priesthood, though thereafter blacks continued to join the Church through baptism and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost. Following the death of Brigham Young, subsequent Church presidents restricted blacks from receiving the temple endowment or being married in the temple. Over time, Church leaders and members advanced many theories to explain the priesthood and temple restrictions. None of these explanations is accepted today as the official doctrine of the Church."

In the same essay, the church also says God sees all men equally, which contradicts the historical quotes about men cursed before birth.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like BeccaBoo's post
26-05-2017, 08:50 AM
(26-05-2017 08:46 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 08:42 AM)BeccaBoo Wrote:  No.

As a Mormon I did, and if I still believed this would not be the time and place or person to reveal it to.

Now, my name is just BeccaBoo
Can this be explained a bit? Have you changed your name or have i completely missed something?

Apologies to Alla, but you're asking a lot of random questions when BeccaBoo doesnt really need to explain herself/keep drudging up memories of being a mormon.

I am also curious about the name change...not that I need to know what it is/was. Being a child of an LDS family, aren't you given an acceptable name? What is the reason for needing to change it?

I was raised Catholic...my father was Catholic, my mother was not so I was not given an acceptable name per the church. I had to have a Communion name that was a saint's name and also a confirmation name that was also a saint's name. That was required by the church at the time. Of course those names were never used for any other purpose. Is it the same sort of thing?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
26-05-2017, 08:51 AM
(26-05-2017 07:14 AM)Alla Wrote:  
JesseB Wrote:@Alla.... from what I can tell Becca sounds like someone who has bothered to learn about the LDS, the actual historical record, not the lies they feed you.

Just when I joined Church 13 years ago I had an opportunity to read all those sources BeccaBoo is talking to me about right now. She is not the first from whom I hear all this. I told myself; "oh my, I better run away from this evil Church".
But I didn't, I followed my gut feeling I continued to go to Church while I still continued to study anti-Mormon sources. Eventually I came to conclusion that many of those sources are distorted information, misunderstood information, probably even intentional lies.
I can not be sure but I have this strong suspicion that BeccaBoo didn't leave Church because she did her re-search. She started to do her re-search because she already wanted to leave the Church. But this is OK with me. She has the right to make her own decisions and I will never judge her for leaving the Church. I still believe she is my spiritual sister. She is still someone whom I would serve with gladness if we knew each other personally.

P.S. many things that were quoted can be easily misunderstood. All those source are subjects to interpretation and people usually interpret the same things differently.

All things considered it's amazing you don't think about the likely hood that you made a mistake. It would be somewhat interesting to determine the criteria you based your decision that factual evidence against the Mormon church's claims is both "anti Mormon" and "lies." Keeping in mind I'm talking about evidence against the claims made by the church and the holy books. If you instead say that reality contradicting your religion is "anti Mormon" and therefor must be rejected well..... There's your sign.

I guess what I'm saying is I question your ability to apply critical analysis, this is due in large part to the lack of critical analysis you've displayed so far on these forums.

I'm not joking I'd be very interested in how you came to such a conclusion considering the reliability of the many sources I'm aware of. Especially given the level of cognitive dissonance you've displayed in so many of your posts in the past (which undermines your reliability as a source, this isn't an attack just an honest analysis).

>.> I'm not Anti Mormon Alla. I might be anti religion in general but I have no special hatred for all things Mormon. Keep that in mind. And if you could back up your claims you could change my position (though it's highly unlikely you could back up any claim from a church made by a convicted con artist. Oh yea.... court records are generally not things that just get made up....Just saying)

This isn't anti Mormon propaganda. Just facts.

On a total side note, in the 6th grade I was in love with a Russian girl who had just moved to the area, her name was Vera. She was the most beautiful girl who had ever lived. And of course she had no idea I even existed lol. I moved away at the end of the school year and that was that.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
26-05-2017, 08:53 AM
(26-05-2017 08:46 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 08:42 AM)BeccaBoo Wrote:  No.

As a Mormon I did, and if I still believed this would not be the time and place or person to reveal it to.

Now, my name is just BeccaBoo
Can this be explained a bit? Have you changed your name or have i completely missed something?

Apologies to Alla, but you're asking a lot of random questions when BeccaBoo doesnt really need to explain herself/keep drudging up memories of being a mormon.

There are secrets taught in LDS temples which members promise to keep until the appointed time and place. Alla was asking me to reveal one of those secrets in the manner it is asked in the temple.

I did have a new name, which was to be my name in the Celestial Kingdom when called forth forth to the First Resurrection by my husband. But I dont believe that anymore. Imo, Joseph Smith used this secrecy including Masonic rites to help hide polygamy from the general church membership and from legal authorities.
[+] 3 users Like BeccaBoo's post
26-05-2017, 09:00 AM
(26-05-2017 08:50 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I had to have a Communion name that was a saint's name and also a confirmation name that was also a saint's name. That was required by the church at the time. Of course those names were never used for any other purpose.

So you have two Saint names?
I am not aware of such requirements by church except at Baptism.
26-05-2017, 09:05 AM
(26-05-2017 08:53 AM)BeccaBoo Wrote:  I did have a new name, which was to be my name in the Celestial Kingdom when called forth forth to the First Resurrection by my husband. But I dont believe that anymore. Imo, Joseph Smith used this secrecy including Masonic rites to help hide polygamy from the general church membership and from legal authorities.

I think I understand that, maybe haha. Fair enough though, I'll look into that.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
26-05-2017, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2017 09:12 AM by Anjele.)
(26-05-2017 09:00 AM)sea_tiger Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 08:50 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I had to have a Communion name that was a saint's name and also a confirmation name that was also a saint's name. That was required by the church at the time. Of course those names were never used for any other purpose.

So you have two Saint names?
I am not aware of such requirements by church except at Baptism.

I am sure I am older than you are.

At baptism I would assume my name was read incorrectly and could have been seen as a saint's name. I have certificates with the names I was given for Communion and Confirmation.

I remember Latin masses...only Latin masses. A lot of things have changed in my lifetime to include some of the saints being un-sainted.
edit-in case you have doubts....I attended Catholic schools from 6th grade through HS. Prior to that I spent Saturday mornings at Catechism class.

The church I attended the longest is a Basilica.

I have dad's rosary and that doily thing I had to wear on my head in a box upstairs with my children's missal.

My last Catholic sacrament was Confirmation as the priest refused to marry my first husband and me.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
26-05-2017, 09:09 AM
(26-05-2017 09:05 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 08:53 AM)BeccaBoo Wrote:  I did have a new name, which was to be my name in the Celestial Kingdom when called forth forth to the First Resurrection by my husband. But I dont believe that anymore. Imo, Joseph Smith used this secrecy including Masonic rites to help hide polygamy from the general church membership and from legal authorities.

I think I understand that, maybe haha. Fair enough though, I'll look into that.

Look up NewNameNoah on Youtube if you want an eyeful.
26-05-2017, 09:15 AM
(26-05-2017 09:09 AM)BeccaBoo Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 09:05 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I think I understand that, maybe haha. Fair enough though, I'll look into that.

Look up NewNameNoah on Youtube if you want an eyeful.

Does it relate to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endowment_(Mormonism)

?

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
26-05-2017, 09:20 AM
(26-05-2017 09:15 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Does it relate to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endowment_(Mormonism)

?

Yup.
[+] 1 user Likes BeccaBoo's post