The Long, Slow Death of My Homophobia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2017, 09:25 AM
RE: The Long, Slow Death of My Homophobia
No worries, I got it.

Did you really have to wear ceremonial garb under your standard clothes at all times? If so, that's a bonkers thing to do. (Not calling you bonkers...just the idea of the ceremony itself.)

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2017, 09:47 AM
(26-05-2017 09:25 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  No worries, I got it.

Did you really have to wear ceremonial garb under your standard clothes at all times? If so, that's a bonkers thing to do. (Not calling you bonkers...just the idea of the ceremony itself.)

Yes indeed. Still have them in a bag. When I'm ready, I'll dispose of them.
26-05-2017, 09:57 AM
(26-05-2017 09:47 AM)BeccaBoo Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 09:25 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  No worries, I got it.

Yes indeed. Still have them in a bag. When I'm ready, I'll dispose of them.
For lack of a better term, Jesus Christ. I bet that sucked when it was a hot day. Fair play on you for doing whatever you had to do, but I imagine that may have been the time alarm bells starting ringing. At that sort of point it changes from "a thing you do on a Sunday" to "You must perform this perfectly normal, really random, ritual...and wear this at all times, because you'll be a queen in the afterlife".

Don't blame you for leaving it behind to be honest. There is a lot I really don't know about the LDS, and I was surprised when reading the wiki article about it, as I always thought Mormons were "OK" generally lol. This changes my mind a little bit.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
26-05-2017, 10:14 AM
(26-05-2017 09:57 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 09:47 AM)BeccaBoo Wrote:  Yes indeed. Still have them in a bag. When I'm ready, I'll dispose of them.
For lack of a better term, Jesus Christ. I bet that sucked when it was a hot day. Fair play on you for doing whatever you had to do, but I imagine that may have been the time alarm bells starting ringing. At that sort of point it changes from "a thing you do on a Sunday" to "You must perform this perfectly normal, really random, ritual...and wear this at all times, because you'll be a queen in the afterlife".

Don't blame you for leaving it behind to be honest. There is a lot I really don't know about the LDS, and I was surprised when reading the wiki article about it, as I always thought Mormons were "OK" generally lol. This changes my mind a little bit.

I was quite anxious the first day I stopped wearing them. It is scary going against the old grain. Not long after, I stopped at a bakery and ordered my first coffee ever and drank the whole cup. It was disgusting, but it was my private way of thumbing my nose at Mormonism.

About the weirdness, people can be very good at compartmentalising. Up until I left the church, I was rational about most things as far as I know. Trusting people was one exception, though.

Now one of the major lessons I have gleaned is to never put a person on a pedestal. Never let another's belief take priority over my conscience.
[+] 3 users Like BeccaBoo's post
26-05-2017, 10:21 AM
(26-05-2017 10:14 AM)BeccaBoo Wrote:  I was quite anxious the first day I stopped wearing them. It is scary going against the old grain. Not long after, I stopped at a bakery and ordered my first coffee ever and drank the whole cup. It was disgusting, but it was my private way of thumbing my nose at Mormonism.

About the weirdness, people can be very good at compartmentalising. Up until I left the church, I was rational about most things as far as I know. Trusting people was one exception, though.

Now one of the major lessons I have gleaned is to never put a person on a pedestal. Never let another's belief take priority over my conscience.
Fair enough, and for what it's worth Coffee isn't very nice anyway Big Grin [About to be beaten up for that I know]. Good on you though, I totally get it, and can understand how until you know otherwise, it's the "normal" thing to do.

Hopefully you'll continue down the path of learning. I tend to suggest to recent newcomers to Atheism, to try and learn something new everyday, about something you might have been restricted on during your previous life. Whether its a new food/learning about science/whatever. Sounds like you've been in the real world for a little bit anyway, but something to think about if you don't do it already Smile

26-05-2017, 10:39 AM
(26-05-2017 10:21 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 10:14 AM)BeccaBoo Wrote:  I was quite anxious the first day I stopped wearing them. It is scary going against the old grain. Not long after, I stopped at a bakery and ordered my first coffee ever and drank the whole cup. It was disgusting, but it was my private way of thumbing my nose at Mormonism.

Fair enough, and for what it's worth Coffee isn't very nice anyway Big Grin [About to be beaten up for that I know]. Good on you though, I totally get it, and can understand how until you know otherwise, it's the "normal" thing to do.

Hopefully you'll continue down the path of learning. I tend to suggest to recent newcomers to Atheism, to try and learn something new everyday, about something you might have been restricted on during your previous life. Whether its a new food/learning about science/whatever. Sounds like you've been in the real world for a little bit anyway, but something to think about if you don't do it already Smile

Thank you...it is pretty marvelous seeing things from this side now. So much better!
[+] 1 user Likes BeccaBoo's post
26-05-2017, 11:10 AM
becca,
I probably missed it, but how is your extended family taking your leaving the faith behind? What about friends from there?

I can see that you are mentally and intellectually doing well with this huge change, but what about relationships? Are you okay or are you isolated or shunned?

My knowledge of the LDS church is pretty limited. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
26-05-2017, 01:59 PM
(26-05-2017 11:10 AM)Anjele Wrote:  becca,
I probably missed it, but how is your extended family taking your leaving the faith behind? What about friends from there?

I can see that you are mentally and intellectually doing well with this huge change, but what about relationships? Are you okay or are you isolated or shunned?

Thanks so much for asking!

Our Mormon friends and my parents are trying to put on a smiling face but it's hard for them. They're pretty reasonable. Several of my siblings have already left the church. We'll see how our close Mormon friends will act once they clearly see we're really not going back.

We have a family reunion this summer and its been such a long time, were really looking forward to seeing family and America and friends, including lots of LDS friends. That will be interesting.
[+] 3 users Like BeccaBoo's post
26-05-2017, 02:42 PM
(26-05-2017 01:59 PM)BeccaBoo Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 11:10 AM)Anjele Wrote:  becca,

Thanks so much for asking!

Our Mormon friends and my parents are trying to put on a smiling face but it's hard for them. They're pretty reasonable. Several of my siblings have already left the church. We'll see how our close Mormon friends will act once they clearly see we're really not going back.

We have a family reunion this summer and its been such a long time, were really looking forward to seeing family and America and friends, including lots of LDS friends. That will be interesting.

I am glad to hear that things are pretty good and I hope you have a good time at the reunion with safe travels!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
26-05-2017, 03:40 PM
(26-05-2017 06:34 AM)BeccaBoo Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 05:21 AM)AB517 Wrote:  Your post look likes a billboard.

Fair enough. It kinda is.

When I joined TTA it was as a believing Mormon and I spent considerable time arguing against same-sex marriage.

So you can consider this post my apology by way of billboard/PSA.

I gotcha, you took an active role against and know its time for atonement.

Good for you, not many grown ups left these days.