The Long, Slow Death of My Homophobia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2017, 10:23 AM
RE: The Long, Slow Death of My Homophobia
I love the bullshit argument that basically is "We've only had 'traditional marriage' a long time, so that makes it ok to be against same sex marriage".

First of all, they don't seem to realize the idea of "one man/one woman" at one time was considered radical idea, and the "tradition" was one man, many wives and shit ton of concubines. So stop acting like "one man/one woman" was some grand god plan, because it wasn't. Also spare me your bullshit argument about the cop out verse where Jebus was like "Oh yeah god hated all that divorce and multiple wives shit but you guys were so stubborn he couldn't do anything about it". Because the bible is really clear that god could never intervene when he was pissed about something.

And second, something having thousands of years of tradition means dick; slavery has thousands of years of tradition, so I guess we need to bring that one back.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
22-05-2017, 10:52 AM
(22-05-2017 07:24 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I also see parents push their kids into traditional gender roles at very young ages. Start the boys playing football and the girls cheerleading when they are 5 years old.

When I was a kid, my two sisters and I got small toys with the candy in our Easter baskets -- usually a stuffed bunny or some such.

Then one year I got a plastic machine gun instead.

Nothing says "Easter" like a plastic machine gun.

Hobo
[+] 6 users Like Thoreauvian's post
22-05-2017, 10:56 AM
(22-05-2017 10:52 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(22-05-2017 07:24 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I also see parents push their kids into traditional gender roles at very young ages. Start the boys playing football and the girls cheerleading when they are 5 years old.

When I was a kid, my two sisters and I got small toys with the candy in our Easter baskets -- usually a stuffed bunny or some such.

Then one year I got a plastic machine gun instead.

Nothing says "Easter" like a plastic machine gun.

Hobo

I still remember a sermon from the past 3-4 years where the preacher got into all the "gender roles" stuff and said "Little girls need to be given dolls to play with, and little boys need to be given toy guns to play with, that's how it's supposed to be".

Even then I wanted to ask what verse that was in the Bible.
[+] 2 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
22-05-2017, 10:56 AM
(22-05-2017 10:52 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Nothing says "Easter" like a plastic machine gun.

Hobo

Yeah, there's nothing like a machine gun to bring the theme of resurection across. Well, you have to be dead before being resuracted. So, machine gun it is.

We always got chocolate bunnies. I wanted to eat them so badly, but I couldn't for a long time, since I felt bad for the bunny.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
22-05-2017, 11:39 AM
(22-05-2017 10:56 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(22-05-2017 10:52 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Nothing says "Easter" like a plastic machine gun.

Hobo

Yeah, there's nothing like a machine gun to bring the theme of resurection across. Well, you have to be dead before being resuracted. So, machine gun it is.

We always got chocolate bunnies. I wanted to eat them so badly, but I couldn't for a long time, since I felt bad for the bunny.

To be fair, a machine gun has exactly as much to do with the resurrection as any of the other Easter basket items I've ever seen. Drinking Beverage

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
22-05-2017, 11:41 AM
(20-05-2017 07:17 AM)BeccaBoo Wrote:  ---
It’s a new day. Time to live bigger and better.

Hug
Here's to living positively, BeccaBoo!

Thanks for the wonderful reminder that it takes only the slightest bit of effort to make a big difference. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
22-05-2017, 01:31 PM
I have to add that I am also sickened by parents and others who force their children into "approved" gender roles and that goes for some so-called enlightened parents who feel it is necessary to force their children into gender roles that are different from their gender.

If I were in elementary school currently and my parents were very influenced by "experts in gender" I might have been forced into the gender-role of a "boy" instead of just being the original person that I was allowed to be, wearing my brother's clothes, playing war and running around half naked...hating dolls and ribbons and dresses.

It is worrisome either way, IMO. Cut the kids some slack, protect their originality, as well as their person and civic rights, and let them grow onto themselves.

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
[+] 3 users Like Jeanne's post
22-05-2017, 01:43 PM
(22-05-2017 11:39 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  To be fair, a machine gun has exactly as much to do with the resurrection as any of the other Easter basket items I've ever seen. Drinking Beverage

Gotta be dead before being resurrected. So there's symbolism in getting an American typewriter for easter.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
22-05-2017, 06:04 PM
BeccaBoo Wrote:I assumed that they, the protectors and stewards of the precious flock of humanity here on earth, had agonized over this issue
Why would you assume this?

BeccaBoo Wrote:I assumed that the First Presidency had gone to the Lord and pled with the Lord for these children and asked for guidance and that they had received a “No” from the Lord.
What in the world are you talking about?!!! Plead about what?
BTW, They pray for ALL children of God ALL THE TIME.
Are you sure you were LDS?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
22-05-2017, 06:50 PM
We've had same sex marriage in Canada for better than a decade now. The skies did not fall, the oceans did not boil. Aside from a little news coverage around the time of the actual legislation you rarely hear much about it. The far-right government elected shortly after it was passed had the wits to recognize it as a done deal and didn't even try to touch it.

There are children growing up now who have never known a world where marriage was defined by that form of intolerance. In a generation it will be tradition.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 6 users Like Paleophyte's post