The Lord Told Him To Attack A Kid On A Skateboard...Why Don't Christians Believe Him?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2014, 09:36 AM
The Lord Told Him To Attack A Kid On A Skateboard...Why Don't Christians Believe Him?
So some Christian nutjob attacked a kid on a skateboard, claiming that God told him to do it. He said: "Honestly, have you ever been grabbed by the Lord in a way you never thought you would or you could? That’s exactly what I’m testifying to, and I’m not speaking in hyperbole. I’m speaking right from the heart.”

Here is the full article and video:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/21...66005.html

So why don't Christians believe him? Seems to me that it's the perfect example of the hypocrisy of Christians defending instances in the Bible where God tells people to do things like killing people, or God sending a bear to kill a bunch of kids for making fun of a bald guy. If this same story were written in the Bible, then all of the Christians would believe that God actually spoke to the guy and told him to do this. Strange how when God tells people to do things like this nowadays, nobody believes them...

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 13 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
25-05-2014, 09:46 AM
RE: The Lord Told Him To Attack A Kid
See also: Yates, Andrea and Sam, Son of

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
25-05-2014, 09:47 AM
RE: The Lord Told Him To Attack A Kid On A Skateboard...Why Don't Christians Believe Him?
(25-05-2014 09:36 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  So some Christian nutjob attacked a kid on a skateboard, claiming that God told him to do it. He said: "Honestly, have you ever been grabbed by the Lord in a way you never thought you would or you could? That’s exactly what I’m testifying to, and I’m not speaking in hyperbole. I’m speaking right from the heart.”

So why don't Christians believe him? Seems to me that it's the perfect example of the hypocrisy of Christians defending instances in the Bible where God tells people to do things like killing people, or God sending a bear to kill a bunch of kids for making fun of a bald guy. If this same story were written in the Bible, then all of the Christians would believe that God actually spoke to the guy and told him to do this. Strange how when God tells people to do things like this nowadays, nobody believes them...

Because:

[Image: card.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 10 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
25-05-2014, 10:08 AM
RE: The Lord Told Him To Attack A Kid On A Skateboard...Why Don't Christians Believe Him?
Wow, I just learned from WindyCityJazz's siggy that Mark Twain was an atheist, and more peculiar to me is he's a distant ancestor of mine, or so I've been told since I was young. I had already heard of the christian VS evil skateboarders before I clicked the link, but I sure as heck didn't know Twain was an atheist. That is really really cool.

For the question at hand....they aren't going to claim to believe him because it would make them look bad, plus I doubt they do believe him. I seriously doubt they truly believe much of what they claim believe. They certainly don't want to claim this nut job though...

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
[+] 1 user Likes Elskidor's post
25-05-2014, 10:09 AM
I think this age will see the end of religion, for this very reason.

If you look at something like Mormonism or Scientology, it is laughably bullshit, but is no more bullshit than mainstream Christianity. The only difference is that in mainstream Christianity, all the lies, cons and tricks occurred 2000 years ago, witnessed by gullible, uneducated, hysterical people....

I seriously doubt that anything as crazy as that could take root and grow to anything more than a fringe sect in today's educated, scientific society. If modern Christians could go back in time to witness the birth of their religion, I'm willing to bet it would make atheists (or at least agnostics) out of all but the most deluded...

And things like this just prove it... When someone claims to have genuinely been told by God to commit murder, to the modern, educated person they appear insane.

Its almost as if modern theists assume that people 2000 years ago were as intelligent, rational and skeptical as we are today, and that they would have cried bullshit if they saw it.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Sam's post
25-05-2014, 10:11 AM
(25-05-2014 09:36 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  So some Christian nutjob attacked a kid on a skateboard, claiming that God told him to do it. He said: "Honestly, have you ever been grabbed by the Lord in a way you never thought you would or you could? That’s exactly what I’m testifying to, and I’m not speaking in hyperbole. I’m speaking right from the heart.”

I wonder about this question all the time. I don't get it either. The only thing I can think of that makes any sense is they don't actually believe. But it could be that I'm not smart enough to think of another reason.
25-05-2014, 10:16 AM
Because they are ridiculous hypocrites? I thought we all knew this?
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
25-05-2014, 10:20 AM
(25-05-2014 10:09 AM)Sam Wrote:  I think this age will see the end of religion, for this very reason.

If you look at something like Mormonism or Scientology, it is laughably bullshit, but is no more bullshit than mainstream Christianity. The only difference is that in mainstream Christianity, all the lies, cons and tricks occurred 2000 years ago, witnessed by gullible, uneducated, hysterical people....

I seriously doubt that anything as crazy as that could take root and grow to anything more than a fringe sect in today's educated, scientific society. If modern Christians could go back in time to witness the birth of their religion, I'm willing to bet it would make atheists (or at least agnostics) out of all but the most deluded...

And things like this just prove it... When someone claims to have genuinely been told by God to commit murder, to the modern, educated person they appear insane.

Its almost as if modern theists assume that people 2000 years ago were as intelligent, rational and skeptical as we are today, and that they would have cried bullshit if they saw it.

I agree with you. We may not see it in our lifetimes (though I do see signs of hope), but I think we are well on our way.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
25-05-2014, 10:34 AM
(25-05-2014 09:46 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  See also: Yates, Andrea and Sam, Son of

No.
God did not tell David Berkowitz to kill. His neighbor's DOG advised him in such matters.

Dyslexia on the part of the casual observer is quite acceptable in this situation. Just striving for accuracy. Carry on. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
25-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Because it's a bad-looking cherry. When cherry-picking time comes along, skateboard-assaulter doesn't get picked.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post