The Lord Told Him To Attack A Kid On A Skateboard...Why Don't Christians Believe Him?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2014, 10:39 AM
RE: The Lord Told Him To Attack A Kid On A Skateboard...Why Don't Christians Believe Him?
(25-05-2014 10:34 AM)kim Wrote:  
(25-05-2014 09:46 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  See also: Yates, Andrea and Sam, Son of

No.
God did not tell David Berkowitz to kill. His neighbor's DOG advised him in such matters.

I should be ashamed for knowing that detail...I know way too much about serial killers. Weeping

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2014, 10:41 AM
RE: The Lord Told Him To Attack A Kid On A Skateboard...Why Don't Christians Believe Him?
Quote:I seriously doubt that anything as crazy as that could take root and grow to anything more than a fringe sect in today's educated

9-11 Truthers.
Birthers.
Climate Change Denialists.
Anti-Vaccine whackos.
Moon-Landing Hoaxers.
Chemtrails aficionados.
Benghazi.

Don't ever give humans the benefit of the doubt, my friend. They will fuck you up every time.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
25-05-2014, 10:47 AM
(25-05-2014 10:20 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(25-05-2014 10:09 AM)Sam Wrote:  I think this age will see the end of religion, for this very reason.

If you look at something like Mormonism or Scientology, it is laughably bullshit, but is no more bullshit than mainstream Christianity. The only difference is that in mainstream Christianity, all the lies, cons and tricks occurred 2000 years ago, witnessed by gullible, uneducated, hysterical people....

I seriously doubt that anything as crazy as that could take root and grow to anything more than a fringe sect in today's educated, scientific society. If modern Christians could go back in time to witness the birth of their religion, I'm willing to bet it would make atheists (or at least agnostics) out of all but the most deluded...

And things like this just prove it... When someone claims to have genuinely been told by God to commit murder, to the modern, educated person they appear insane.

Its almost as if modern theists assume that people 2000 years ago were as intelligent, rational and skeptical as we are today, and that they would have cried bullshit if they saw it.

I agree with you. We may not see it in our lifetimes (though I do see signs of hope), but I think we are well on our way.

I certainly don't think we'll see any new, full-blown religions.

Things like Mormonism are at best sects or cults, and I doubt they'll ever expand beyond that, since they rely mainly on isolation. In order for a religion to really take root and be practiced across the globe it requires mass ignorance which, thankfully doesn't exist anymore, at least not in the West.

That coupled with the steady decline of believers, and the steady increase in atheists, I think it may finally be on its last legs...

Provided they don't plunge us into a nuclear war, and set humanity back a few thousand years.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
25-05-2014, 10:47 AM
He obviously misinterpreted gods message, god meant to have him kill that noisey obnoxious skateboard...... not the dude on it...... oops ! Rolleyes

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
25-05-2014, 10:49 AM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2014 10:57 AM by Thinkerbelle.)
(25-05-2014 10:34 AM)kim Wrote:  
(25-05-2014 09:46 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  See also: Yates, Andrea and Sam, Son of

No.
God did not tell David Berkowitz to kill. His neighbor's DOG advised him in such matters.

Dyslexia on the part of the casual observer is quite acceptable in this situation. Just striving for accuracy. Carry on. Drinking Beverage

I thought it was Jesus talking through the dog. Blink

Damn, it's hell getting old.

Update: "Today Berkowitz is a born-again Christian and described as a model prisoner."

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
25-05-2014, 10:54 AM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2014 10:58 AM by Anjele.)
Lots of stories never make national or world headlines where the cause of a murder or attack is said to be "because god told me to". I hear it on local radio a few times a month around here.

Seems the 'cause god said so' defense is the go-to defense for a lot of people.

Funny how they are often then declared to be insane but no one looks deeper into that and sees that extreme religiousity is seen as insane but nothing is done to stop the continued teaching of that religiousity.

Let it be one woman that kills her kids for god or one man that kills his sinful family and it's insanity. Let another group fly planes into buildings and it becomes religious terrorism. Evidently there is a number thing here....you must kill X number to be considered a religious terrorist but if 1,000 single nutcases kill 3,000 total people they aren't terrorists.

It's fucked up.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
25-05-2014, 10:56 AM
(25-05-2014 10:54 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Lots of stories never make national or world headlines where the cause of a murder or attack is said to be "because god told me to". I hear it on local radio a few times a month around here.

Seems the 'cause god said so' defense is the go-to defense for a lot of people.

Funny how they are often then declared to be insane but no one looks deeper into that and see that extreme religiousity is seen as insane but nothing is done to stop the continued teaching of that religiousity.

Let it be one woman that kills her kids for god or one man that kills his sinful family and it's insanity. Let another group fly planes into buildings and it becomes religious terrorism. Evidently there is a number thing here....you must kill X number to be considered a religious terrorist but if 1,000 single nutcases kill 3,000 total people they aren't terrorists.

It's fucked up.

dont forget burning your female children with acid for horrors such as going to school...or for being raped.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
25-05-2014, 11:21 AM
(25-05-2014 10:41 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:I seriously doubt that anything as crazy as that could take root and grow to anything more than a fringe sect in today's educated

9-11 Truthers.
Birthers.
Climate Change Denialists.
Anti-Vaccine whackos.
Moon-Landing Hoaxers.
Chemtrails aficionados.
Benghazi.

Don't ever give humans the benefit of the doubt, my friend. They will fuck you up every time.

While those conspiracy theories are crazy and fairly widely believed, they're not quite as crazy as belief in the dead coming back to life, water turning into wine or any other religious phenomena said to have happened 2000 years ago.

The thing with conspiracies is, in most cases there is the possibility of them being true... Its simply the lack of evidence that makes them ridiculous. Generally you find that the more outlandish the claim, the more fringe it is. A lot of 9/11 Truthers were put off the idea when the "no planes theory" started circulating online... Because it was simply too outlandish.

For a conspiracy theory to take off, it needs to at least seem plausible to people. If it starts to invoke too much bullshit, people lose interest very quickly.

Its not impossible, in fact it would be quite easy for NASA to fake the Moon landing in the desert, or for the US government to have planned 9/11... I don't believe in either, but the claims made by most believers in this stuff are not exactly beyond the capability of the people they accuse.

Whereas religions make extraordinary claims of events occurring which can only be described as unnatural, or impossible. If someone claimed to be able to walk on water or raise the dead today, people would call them crazy.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
25-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Re: The Lord Told Him To Attack A Kid On A Skateboard...Why Don't Christians
Kids on skateboards are unquestionably unrulely.

If he threw stones at the kid, then he was okay by the Bible.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
25-05-2014, 11:35 AM
(25-05-2014 11:21 AM)Sam Wrote:  While those conspiracy theories are crazy and fairly widely believed, they're not quite as crazy as belief in the dead coming back to life, water turning into wine

I can turn water into wine.....

Smartass

....just add crushed grapes and yeast and let 'er go....

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post