The Lord Told Him To Attack A Kid On A Skateboard...Why Don't Christians Believe Him?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2014, 11:37 AM
RE: The Lord Told Him To Attack A Kid On A Skateboard...Why Don't Christians Believe Him?
(25-05-2014 11:35 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(25-05-2014 11:21 AM)Sam Wrote:  While those conspiracy theories are crazy and fairly widely believed, they're not quite as crazy as belief in the dead coming back to life, water turning into wine

I can turn water into wine.....

Smartass

....just add crushed grapes and yeast and let 'er go....

But it's only miraculous if you can do it instantly.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2014, 11:39 AM
RE: The Lord Told Him To Attack A Kid On A Skateboard...Why Don't Christians Believe Him?
(25-05-2014 11:35 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(25-05-2014 11:21 AM)Sam Wrote:  While those conspiracy theories are crazy and fairly widely believed, they're not quite as crazy as belief in the dead coming back to life, water turning into wine

I can turn water into wine.....

Smartass

Hey Jesus... How long is this fucking magic trick gonna take?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-05-2014, 11:49 AM
RE: The Lord Told Him To Attack A Kid On A Skateboard...
(25-05-2014 10:54 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Seems the 'cause god said so' defense is the go-to defense for a lot of people.

I tried to have a debate about this with a friend on Facebook, but they took the slippery address-everything-except-the-main-point approach, so we never actually got anywhere. The conversation went something like this:

Him: Jesus doesn't advocate the use of violence in his name. People who claim to do this aren't following his wishes.

Me: Is this the same Jesus who said "If you don't own a sword, sell your cloak and buy one?"

Him: Yes, same Jesus. He often spoke in hyperbole and criticized Peter for using a sword against one of the guards who came to arrest him.

<...>others jump in quoting various scripture references both for and against the Jesus didn't endorse violence claim

Me (borrowing from Sam Harris): I think the whole discussion kind of illustrates the problem with Divine Command Theory. We end up arguing over who interpreted the book the right way, each side quoting chapter and verse to support their view of what God wants while ignoring our ability to figure out if an action is moral on our own.

Once you accept that actions are moral simply because a god says they are, then the only criticism a Christian can make against a Muslim suicide bomber is that they are worshiping the wrong god. If the Christian God said "blow yourself up and take as many nonbelievers with you as possible," the same action wouldn't be considered wrong anymore.

It's like Steven Weinberg said, "With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion."

Him: It looks like everyone here is behaving like people who are enjoying this conversation. there's no arguing here.

Me: By arguing I meant "giving a reason or set of reasons with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong." I realize there are definitions that imply a heated disagreement, which I agree isn't what we have here, so perhaps I should have selected a different word.

However, that's not the main point I was trying to make. Discussion or disagreement isn't the issue. It's that debating whether or not Jesus approves of using violence in his name misses the point that using violence to spread ideas is wrong regardless of what the Bible, Koran or other holy book says and legitimizes "because God said so" as a justification.

Him: The truth will always have the best argument. That's how we understand. Its better to test the reasons and interpretations, and let them prove to be true, rather than to mindlessly follow the dogmatic system assuming that it is true. The Bible has nothing to lose due to intelligent query.

Me: <realizes this isn't going anywhere, so dead air>

-------------------

As for why Christians don't believe God speaks to people anymore I believe the reasoning goes something like this: Those were different times. Now we have the Bible and the Holy Spirit which they didn't have back then, so he doesn't need to take direct action in the world to speak to people.

Never mind that it's a completely ad hoc explanation with no basis in scripture (as far as I know...).

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
25-05-2014, 12:20 PM
(25-05-2014 11:37 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(25-05-2014 11:35 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  I can turn water into wine.....

Smartass

But it's only miraculous if you can do it instantly.

Shocking

Waitadamnminit -- Y'all didn't say NUTHIN' about "instantly".

[Image: Moving-The-Goalposts.jpg]

[Image: angry-no-smiley-emoticon.gif]

Big Grin

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
25-05-2014, 12:38 PM
(25-05-2014 12:20 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(25-05-2014 11:37 AM)Anjele Wrote:  But it's only miraculous if you can do it instantly.

Shocking

Big Grin
Well I'm not sure how Jesus walked on water but I do it every winter.
25-05-2014, 01:06 PM
(25-05-2014 12:38 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(25-05-2014 12:20 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Shocking

Big Grin
Well I'm not sure how Jesus walked on water but I do it every winter.

Jesus Walked on water ? That's nothing. Chuck Norris swims through land.
[+] 3 users Like Leo's post
25-05-2014, 01:07 PM
Many people who commit criminal acts, do so honestly believing it to be influenced by religious scripture or due to some supernatural influence.

This "honest belief" should be the thing that really sinks under the skin of the average theist person. I have to think, they must question where the line is drawn.... right?

Much of the time... it seems everyone conjures up a great deal of cognitive dissonance. All too often, the mixed message is pounded home: there is a difference between that delusion and this delusion.

When delusion becomes so acceptable, everyone is fucked and continues to be fucked.

Even any possibility of "rehabilitation" would be dubious at best, if some sort of religious "transformation" is involved. There again; just trade up delusion for delusion, it seems to work for most people in or out of prison ... at least in the US.

I have great compassion for anyone caught in the grip of a mental illness; so gripped that reason is excluded from thought and action. It's horrible to know a fellow human being is suffering an affliction within one's own mind. I would much rather see a person be incarcerated in a mental institution than a prison facility, where treatment is unavailable.

Until mental illness is taken seriously and not harnessed in any way to the accepted delusion which wracks this country ... I don't see much change taking place anytime soon. Mental illness is so poorly dealt with in the US ... and it's 2014! What the actual fuck?! Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
25-05-2014, 05:56 PM
(25-05-2014 10:08 AM)Elskidor Wrote:  Wow, I just learned from WindyCityJazz's siggy that Mark Twain was an atheist, and more peculiar to me is he's a distant ancestor of mine, or so I've been told since I was young. I had already heard of the christian VS evil skateboarders before I clicked the link, but I sure as heck didn't know Twain was an atheist. That is really really cool.

For the question at hand....they aren't going to claim to believe him because it would make them look bad, plus I doubt they do believe him. I seriously doubt they truly believe much of what they claim believe. They certainly don't want to claim this nut job though...

Little trivia fact. I live 5 miles from where he is buried. Everything is mark twain around here...mark twain golf course...mark twain streets. Mark twain shopping plazas

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
25-05-2014, 10:04 PM
(25-05-2014 09:36 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  So some Christian nutjob attacked a kid on a skateboard, claiming that God told him to do it. He said: "Honestly, have you ever been grabbed by the Lord in a way you never thought you would or you could? That’s exactly what I’m testifying to, and I’m not speaking in hyperbole. I’m speaking right from the heart.”

Here is the full article and video:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/21...66005.html

So why don't Christians believe him? Seems to me that it's the perfect example of the hypocrisy of Christians defending instances in the Bible where God tells people to do things like killing people, or God sending a bear to kill a bunch of kids for making fun of a bald guy. If this same story were written in the Bible, then all of the Christians would believe that God actually spoke to the guy and told him to do this. Strange how when God tells people to do things like this nowadays, nobody believes them...

I really fucking hate this world.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
25-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Meanwhile, the school chaplain anally rapes some kids and just get transferred to another school.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".