The Lord has royally screwed my friend.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2013, 08:57 AM
RE: The Lord has royally screwed my friend.
(14-06-2013 08:07 AM)Dom Wrote:  I don't see that ending well for your friend... either he will run for the hills and pray, or it will be a bitch to realize that he's squandered his life's accomplishments for nothing.

Either way, he'll be one unhappy dude.

Hmm... very possibly. I've been thinking about this a bit more. Chances are he will stick with his delusion. If so, I'm certain he will also report that his "experience" with those atheist forum heathens only made his conviction stronger. I'm thinking what doesn't kill the delusion, makes the delusion stronger - kind of easy when you just make shit up. It very nearly resembles a virus.

On the other hand ... Consider How much more fucked up can this guy's life get? Is it possible that once he figures it out, such relief will take precedence over regret? It would be tough either way. I think I only really see it from the outside, though. I'd have to look to the later-life de-converts and find out from them if it is worth it.

Since being here on the forum, I think we've all encountered so many of the de-converted who have expressed a relief and a renewed excitement for life. Many seem quite fulfilled at the prospect of self reeducation. It must be an arduous task to chuck it all but it would probably be no less tumultuous than losing all the best shit in your life for Jesus and... the reward of sanity would kind of be the kicker.

Toss up, Girly. If he's ready, he's ready - maybe you should just ask him. The most he can do is look at you weirdly but... I suspect he already may. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
14-06-2013, 09:07 AM
(14-06-2013 08:56 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  ... and a brand new George Foreman grill.

I have one of those! I hear they are a big hit with homeless people.
It's not new though, I got it as an obligatory wedding gift. It's still in the box so, it's like new. Consider

Hey, maybe it's an antique!! Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
14-06-2013, 11:43 AM
(14-06-2013 06:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  Why do you think this guy is amenable to reason? Huh

I've seen him wield it like a Samurai when we waz wrtin teh codez together.

(14-06-2013 08:11 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I bet some church sends him to a 3rd world country next...

Au contraire, Archer. Dude started his own fucking Church instead. Think it's called "YADA YADA" for "Yet Another Denomination of Adventists Yet Another Denomination of Adventists".

Breathing - it's more art than science.
14-06-2013, 01:53 PM
He starts his own church, but then lost everything because of religion.??

Blink

I'm just confused.

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
14-06-2013, 02:55 PM
(14-06-2013 11:43 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-06-2013 06:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  Why do you think this guy is amenable to reason? Huh

I've seen him wield it like a Samurai when we waz wrtin teh codez together.

I meant reason about his metaphysical life.Angry

Last year I did a consulting job and worked closely with a fundee Christian.
He was an excellent embedded systems engineer.

But he wouldn't join the company-sponsored yoga class because it was against his religion.
Yeah, that yoga is a gateway to satan worship.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-06-2013, 04:24 PM
(14-06-2013 02:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  Last year I did a consulting job and worked closely with a fundee Christian.

But he wouldn't join the company-sponsored yoga class because it was against his religion.

Wow, what a pussy.

I'd further discuss this with you but uh, I gotta go worship sata do my yoga. Shy

14-06-2013, 04:52 PM
(14-06-2013 01:53 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I'm just confused.

You and me both. It's like going "all-in" when you're already outta chips.

(14-06-2013 02:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  I meant reason about his metaphysical life.Angry

I can't fathom it, but it is a very curious thing to watch. How can you be so goddam smart and so fucking naive at the same time?

Breathing - it's more art than science.
14-06-2013, 05:01 PM
(14-06-2013 04:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-06-2013 01:53 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I'm just confused.

You and me both. It's like going "all-in" when you're already outta chips.

(14-06-2013 02:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  I meant reason about his metaphysical life.Angry

I can't fathom it, but it is a very curious thing to watch. How can you be so goddam smart and so fucking naive at the same time?

Yeah, I was stunned at the guy's comment.
As a consultant, I just had to let it slide. Nothing to be gained arguing it.

I didn't even bother to mention the attractive women in tights.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-06-2013, 05:28 PM
(14-06-2013 04:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I can't fathom it, but it is a very curious thing to watch. How can you be so goddam smart and so fucking naive at the same time?

I have known 2 people like that over the years. Highly intelligent and totally deluded. It has puzzled me, too.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
14-06-2013, 05:31 PM
(14-06-2013 05:28 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(14-06-2013 04:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I can't fathom it, but it is a very curious thing to watch. How can you be so goddam smart and so fucking naive at the same time?

I have known 2 people like that over the years. Highly intelligent and totally deluded. It has puzzled me, too.

All of my inlaws fall into this boat. Hubby has 6 siblings, all very intelligent-all complete fundi idiots at the same time. They creep me out. It's like they have split personalities or something. Tongue

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post