The Lord's Prayer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2016, 09:19 AM
The Lord's Prayer
Every Sunday we go through the same drill: "Let us pray as Jesus taught us to pray. 'Our Father who art in heaven...'" Can you guess what church I attend? Hint: It's right after all the kneeling and standing.

All my life I've been trying to understand why it is such an important prayer. (After all, Jesus taught it to us. It's got to be the be-all and end-all of prayers). I've attempted to pick it apart so many times, but can't find anything that amazing. What am I missing? Or is it like the ten commandments: quite unremarkable, once you understand what it all means and put in to context.

Who would like to interpret the Lord's Prayer for me, just for shits and giggles? Big Grin

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-07-2016, 09:30 AM
RE: The Lord's Prayer
Which version shall I interpret?

The one in Matthew 6:9-13?

Or the one in Luke 11:2-4?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
14-07-2016, 09:38 AM
The Lord's Prayer. Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Grew up with that one too. It was all just words muttered without thought.

Looking at it now I wonder about the 'lead us not into temptation' part when you look at the Adam and Eve story. Wasn't that leading us into temptation right from the start? Yeah, I know there was that sneaky snake but God had to know about that so he either shouldn't have put Adam and Eve there or 'delivered them from evil' by removing said snake.

I suppose it was something someone penned and they thought it sounded good and was easy for even a child to remember and recite much like Hail Mary...Of course with that one you get into the argument about Catholics praying to saints thereby treating them like Gods and some people don't like that...hence the reason Catholics are seen in some groups as not really being Christian.

It's all white noise.

Yeah...that's one of the reasons why I left The Church.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
14-07-2016, 09:49 AM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2016 10:46 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(14-07-2016 09:19 AM)mgoering Wrote:  Every Sunday we go through the same drill: "Let us pray as Jesus taught us to pray. 'Our Father who art in heaven...'" Can you guess what church I attend? Hint: It's right after all the kneeling and standing.

All my life I've been trying to understand why it is such an important prayer. (After all, Jesus taught it to us. It's got to be the be-all and end-all of prayers). I've attempted to pick it apart so many times, but can't find anything that amazing. What am I missing? Or is it like the ten commandments: quite unremarkable, once you understand what it all means and put in to context.

Who would like to interpret the Lord's Prayer for me, just for shits and giggles? Big Grin

As usual, you can pretty much assume they took it from somewhere else, and appropriated it for their use.
http://www.thenazareneway.com/lords_prayer.htm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
14-07-2016, 10:57 AM
In the bible.. or well Mathew at least, the "prayer" literally follows Jesus saying don't be like the hypocrites just praying in public to be seen and pray in private....

yet every church I've ever seen has people publically saying the prayer... so clueless to the statements on the same page lines before.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 3 users Like ClydeLee's post
14-07-2016, 11:14 AM
Not just that Clyde -- but this ---

“But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words” (Matthew 6:6-7)

So -- repeating the same prayer over and over is verboten.......

But -- like the prohibition of "graven images" -- you see all sorts of pictures and statutes of Jesus......................

Fuckers just keep on having it both ways, don't they??????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
14-07-2016, 11:35 AM
Let's get with the program!

[Image: KM0Lwne.jpg]

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 6 users Like Minimalist's post
14-07-2016, 11:59 AM
Isn't that rotely recited prayer given in the Bible as a specific example of how to pray genuinely and from the heart and NOT by rote recitation, directly after an injunction against rote, recited prayer?

.... I mean, I can't tell whether to be irritated by the inanity or amused by the irony.
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
14-07-2016, 12:00 PM
When I got married and they said the Lord's Prayer my family was very confused they kept talking but the whole catholic side of the church stared at them.

The Lutherans add an extra line.

But yeah, it's just mindlessly, but when I was a kid the Lutherans said debts and debtors, in place of trespasses. I always wondered as a kid, if the reason they changed it was so not to confuse people that you actually must pay your debts or is it just forgive the person(s) who lent you money?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

14-07-2016, 12:23 PM
(14-07-2016 09:19 AM)mgoering Wrote:  Every Sunday we go through the same drill: "Let us pray as Jesus taught us to pray. 'Our Father who art in heaven...'" Can you guess what church I attend? Hint: It's right after all the kneeling and standing.

I don't normaly say or hear it for years at a time. But still after repeating it every sunday, and every dinner for 20 something years I still can resite the whole thing.

Same thing pops in my head every time someone jokes around and says"May the force be with you!"

" and also with you."

"'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we also have forgiven our trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil."

In todays terms.

Hey God, you've got a great name. Anything you want, you get. You get us food, and don't mind when we go into people personal space, just like we don't mind people getting into our personal space. I know, you know, I've been thinking about banging Daness who works in accounting, and eating that cannoli that's been sitting in the fridge for the last month that belongs to Jim (EVEN THOU HE OVIOUSLY FORGOT ABOUT IT) but I know, you know, I know it wasn't your fault. And you keep me away from doing some pretty horrendous things.

So be it!

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post