The Lord's Prayer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2016, 02:48 PM
RE: The Lord's Prayer
(14-07-2016 02:39 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Since I grew up as a Catholic and was around almost all Catholics, the free from prayer that I heard when I moved to SC was a little weird to me. I was so used to the word-for-word recitation of prayers that the idea of winging it was completely foreign to my ears.

Lots of 'Father Gods' thrown into every one of those prayers I noticed.

Blessings over meals became long, drawn out speeches about nourishing our bodies so that we could do God's work...what the heck is that all about? I grew up with - Bless us oh Lord and these thy gifts, which we are about to receive. From thy bounty, through Christ our Lord. Amen.

The first time I had to sit through a five minute pre-meal blessing I was stunned.

Yeah, there was a family member that fancied himself a minister who used to do the looooooong prayer before any meal.

There was lots of hand slapping during the pauses,"he's not finished".

I personally feel there is a difference between displaying thanks in a humble way and kissing ass. I felt my cousin was trying to show off to god. I also always hoped (back when I did believe) god would punish him for the grandstanding.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-07-2016, 04:14 PM
I remember the prayer from my church a little differently. I looked over to the shelf and found the "Book of Common Prayer" that I received for my confirmation in 1981. Crap I'm old.

"Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread, And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation , but deliver us from evil, for thine is the kingdom, and the power , and the glory, for ever and ever, Amen."

So with a more mature view, when I recited this meaning, was I really asking God not to tempt me? Fuck, the deck is really stacked against us. It's hard enough to follow the damn rules without the benevolent diety actually trying to make me make a mistake.

And as a side note, man were the pages crinkly. I wonder if I ever opened it before today.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
14-07-2016, 04:37 PM
(14-07-2016 04:14 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  I remember the prayer from my church a little differently. I looked over to the shelf and found the "Book of Common Prayer" that I received for my confirmation in 1981. Crap I'm old.

"Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread, And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation , but deliver us from evil, for thine is the kingdom, and the power , and the glory, for ever and ever, Amen."

So with a more mature view, when I recited this meaning, was I really asking God not to tempt me? Fuck, the deck is really stacked against us. It's hard enough to follow the damn rules without the benevolent diety actually trying to make me make a mistake.

And as a side note, man were the pages crinkly. I wonder if I ever opened it before today.

I recall this being added later but the version I posted was the one I learned as a little kid.

Don't worry about being old...I remember the mass being in Latin. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
15-07-2016, 01:55 AM
(14-07-2016 04:14 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  And lead us not into temptation , but deliver us from evil, for thine is the kingdom, and the power , and the glory, for ever and ever, Amen."

That's the line that always gets me. So god will lead us into temptation unless we say to him, "please don't"?

In other words he's a twisted bastard who will tempt you with all manner of weird perversions unless you beg him not to?

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
15-07-2016, 06:22 AM
(15-07-2016 01:55 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  That's the line that always gets me. So god will lead us into temptation unless we say to him, "please don't"?

In other words he's a twisted bastard who will tempt you with all manner of weird perversions unless you beg him not to?
Hang on a moment. In fairness, Jesus was a Jew talking to Jews. Now that I think about it, I've never heard a Jewish interpretation of this passage. And now that I think about *that*, I don't recall any Christian interpretation I may have once heard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
15-07-2016, 06:26 AM
(15-07-2016 06:22 AM)jabeady Wrote:  
(15-07-2016 01:55 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  That's the line that always gets me. So god will lead us into temptation unless we say to him, "please don't"?

Hang on a moment. In fairness, Jesus was a Jew talking to Jews. Now that I think about it, I've never heard a Jewish interpretation of this passage. And now that I think about *that*, I don't recall any Christian interpretation I may have once heard.

And your point is?

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
15-07-2016, 07:56 AM
(15-07-2016 06:22 AM)jabeady Wrote:  

I have a "Jewish Annotated New Testament" at home. If I remember when I get home tonight, I will try to look in there and see what they have to say about the "Our Father".
15-07-2016, 09:19 AM
(15-07-2016 06:26 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  And your point is?
No point, as such, I'm just wondering whether modern criticism is being applied to the original, actual and intended meaning, or to a modern "corruption."

For example, in the KJV, there's a passage that says that the living will not "prevent' the dead (or is it the other way around?) in going to heaven on the last day. At first glance, this could be interpreted as saying the living would be unable to keep the dead from going to heaven. You'd have to dig a little to find that the actual meaning of the passage, as translated from Elizabethan English, is that the living will not be taken to heaven in preference to the dead.

If I have a point, it's that I prefer to base my railing on the real, not the perceived, offence. I think I come off as less irrational that way.

15-07-2016, 10:08 AM
(15-07-2016 07:56 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(15-07-2016 06:22 AM)jabeady Wrote:  Hang on a moment. In fairness, Jesus was a Jew talking to Jews. Now that I think about it, I've never heard a Jewish interpretation of this passage. And now that I think about *that*, I don't recall any Christian interpretation I may have once heard.

I have a "Jewish Annotated New Testament" at home. If I remember when I get home tonight, I will try to look in there and see what they have to say about the "Our Father".

As my wife always notes, and I entirely agree with her, I analyze everything to a fault. But, given how many people recite this prayer week in and week out, isn't there at least a good percentage, who, like me, would question: "What the hell do these words mean?" The words they recite are: "And lead us not into temptation". Yes, it may be a bad translation, but, Jesus, aren't you a little curious about what you're asked to recite every week?

Indoctrination is a crazy thing.

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
15-07-2016, 10:36 AM
(15-07-2016 10:08 AM)mgoering Wrote:  
(15-07-2016 07:56 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I have a "Jewish Annotated New Testament" at home. If I remember when I get home tonight, I will try to look in there and see what they have to say about the "Our Father".

As my wife always notes, and I entirely agree with her, I analyze everything to a fault. But, given how many people recite this prayer week in and week out, isn't there at least a good percentage, who, like me, would question: "What the hell do these words mean?" The words they recite are: "And lead us not into temptation". Yes, it may be a bad translation, but, Jesus, aren't you a little curious about what you're asked to recite every week?

Indoctrination is a crazy thing.

They don't seem to quite understand the cannibalism thing either (consuming the body and blood of Jesus). The Catholic church I was going to a few years ago had a poster up in the lobby with quotes from the little kids who were about to have their First Communion. One little girl said "I can't wait to drink Jesus's blood!" That is either one creepy little girl, or she has no idea what that means -- and I suspect the adults really don't, either. It's just something that they've been indoctrinated into, and have been doing all their lives.