The Lords Prayer Advert banned in Cinemas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2015, 10:43 AM
The Lords Prayer Advert banned in Cinemas
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34899184

I do so love the CoE coming out and saying this is 'a chilling effect on free speech'.

I once attended a funeral where it was almost 50/50 split between Protestant and Catholics and they cannot agree on it. And if you believe in the bible you would surely see the irony in this prayer Smile

Good decision by the marketing company not to show it in my view.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2015, 10:55 AM
RE: The Lords Prayer Advert banned in Cinemas
(25-11-2015 10:43 AM)Blessed_Cheesemaker Wrote:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34899184

I do so love the CoE coming out and saying this is 'a chilling effect on free speech'.

I once attended a funeral where it was almost 50/50 split between Protestant and Catholics and they cannot agree on it. And if you believe in the bible you would surely see the irony in this prayer Smile

"Banned" how? By government law? Or because of patron demand?

Don't use the word "banned" unless the government was forcing it on the owner. If the owner was simply responding to patron's that is not a ban.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-11-2015, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2015 11:07 AM by Brian37.)
Dawkins has said this was basically petty on the part of those who complained. I don't think so. To display one prayer of a specific sect of one religion, comes across as presumptive as to the beliefs of the patrons. So the only way to counter that while keeping the add there would be to allow everyone to put their prayer adds in too. But, that will cause everyone to complain and you wont get 100% agreement.

A movie theater is not a holy place. And like most business owners, your objective is to get the widest attraction and the most seats filled. So why even go there, just from a business perspective seems better to simply stick to business adds and movie previews.

There are no lack of places of worship in the west that you can see from public roads from driving by. You can even get online and find religious websites and even religious Facebook Pages. But keeping a business neutral isn't a denial of religious patrons rights. It is a movie theater, not a house of worship of any religion.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
25-11-2015, 11:18 AM
(25-11-2015 10:55 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(25-11-2015 10:43 AM)Blessed_Cheesemaker Wrote:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34899184

"Banned" how? By government law? Or because of patron demand?

Don't use the word "banned" unless the government was forcing it on the owner. If the owner was simply responding to patron's that is not a ban.

Apologies, the marketing company for the cinema chains involved declined to include it in the list of adverts to be shown.
25-11-2015, 11:22 AM
(25-11-2015 11:18 AM)Blessed_Cheesemaker Wrote:  
(25-11-2015 10:55 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  "Banned" how? By government law? Or because of patron demand?

Apologies, the marketing company for the cinema chains involved declined to include it in the list of adverts to be shown.

As is their right......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
25-11-2015, 02:17 PM
(25-11-2015 11:22 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(25-11-2015 11:18 AM)Blessed_Cheesemaker Wrote:  Apologies, the marketing company for the cinema chains involved declined to include it in the list of adverts to be shown.

As is their right......

Indeed. I was laughing at the reaction of the CoE. I don't want my viewing of Star Wars ruined by made up stories Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Blessed_Cheesemaker's post
25-11-2015, 02:35 PM
(25-11-2015 10:43 AM)Blessed_Cheesemaker Wrote:  I once attended a funeral where it was almost 50/50 split between Protestant and Catholics and they cannot agree on it. And if you believe in the bible you would surely see the irony in this prayer Smile

When I got married in Catholic Church, half the church stopped when you're supposed to. The Lutheran half awkwardly kept going until they got looks from the Catholic half.

I nearly giggled.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
25-11-2015, 02:58 PM
(25-11-2015 02:35 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(25-11-2015 10:43 AM)Blessed_Cheesemaker Wrote:  I once attended a funeral where it was almost 50/50 split between Protestant and Catholics and they cannot agree on it. And if you believe in the bible you would surely see the irony in this prayer Smile

When I got married in Catholic Church, half the church stopped when you're supposed to. The Lutheran half awkwardly kept going until they got looks from the Catholic half.

I nearly giggled.

Even when I did believe as a Catholic kid, my biggest priority in Church was stupidly pining after a girl who turned out had no interest in me. Advice to youngsters, not a good idea to make your offer in a formal setting not set up for that kind of thing. Oh and her older brother wasn't too happy.

And although I had no real skepticism as a kid, I once walked out to see the preacher smoking and thought "WTF"?

25-11-2015, 03:06 PM
One one hand I really like them choosing not to show that on the screen because I don't really want to be bombarded with religion crap when I am just there to have a good time and watch me some star wars and it is the choice of the cinema to do so, on the other its sort of rude since its kinda stiffing free speech in a sort of public space.

I mean it certainly is no equivalent to saying no to a gay couple when you are a bakery but its sorta rude.

Meh, know what? I just don't care enough about it.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
25-11-2015, 03:10 PM
The thing is -- a theater while open to the public, is not a public space. Its a privately owned and operated business with the goal of turning a profit. If they feel something can hurt their bottom line, its their call to make.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post