The Masters Golf Tournament

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2017, 01:09 PM
RE: The Masters Golf Tournament
(07-04-2017 12:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 11:54 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  I was a mid-to-low 80s player for years. Gave it up because it got to be too much of a hassle. Used to cover golf for two newspapers before I became a senior editor.

I was a mid-to-low 90s player for years with the (very) occasional foray into the high 80s. Basically a bogie golfer. If I had a round without anything worse than a bogie, I was happy.

I haven't played much in the last 3 years as my time, energy, and money have been going to shotgun sports, primarily trap. But I still will have it on the TV as calming background when at the computer.

When I was in college, I worked at a country club and would play for free on Mondays. We would play 54 holes straight and you get pretty decent playing that much.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2017, 01:18 PM
Before I started playing I had a disdain for the game, it looked so unsporting.

Then when I started to play I realized the attraction, it is just as much, if not more, of a mental game than a physical one. I also like it that I can lose myself inside my head, I can play it alone or get a pickup game anytime I want.

The other thing that golf has unlike any other sport is that there is no limit to just how bad you can play Sadcryface , you keep hitting the ball until you hole it out and no one else can help you.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
07-04-2017, 01:31 PM
(07-04-2017 01:18 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Before I started playing I had a disdain for the game, it looked so unsporting.

Then when I started to play I realized the attraction, it is just as much, if not more, of a mental game than a physical one. I also like it that I can lose myself inside my head, I can play it alone or get a pickup game anytime I want.

The other thing that golf has unlike any other sport is that there is no limit to just how bad you can play Sadcryface , you keep hitting the ball until you hole it out and no one else can help you.

Having played golf since being a caddy at age 13, I can say that playing golf and shooting trap are essentially the same mental game:
one shot at a time with total concentration and complete calm. Zen intensity.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-04-2017, 01:38 PM
(07-04-2017 01:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  Zen intensity.

I like that oxymoron, I think you nailed it.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
07-04-2017, 01:50 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2017 03:53 PM by Anjele.)
I started working at the local country club in my early teens...dad being on the board of directors had a lot to do with that. I worked in the kitchen, waited tables, and later tended bar. There was so much bitching about golf that I never figured out the appeal. I don't think I have ever played a full round but it's the kind of thing that my total lack of depth perception and near total lack of coordination means the little bit I played was quite enough.

The 'club' was a small nine hole course that the regulars knew inside and out. The most entertaining aspect was how they would alter the game to make it more 'fun'. They would play chip shots into the sandbox on the playground or try to chip the ball through the tire swing.

There came a point where dad and his cronies knew they weren't going to get any better so their goal was to play faster while maintaining the same handicap. Facepalm Gas powered carts helped that immensely.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
07-04-2017, 02:10 PM
(07-04-2017 10:48 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 10:16 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Anyone else follow or play golf?

I don't play golf, but it's the only sport I watch regularly on TV. I find it very relaxing to watch.

Cool

Exactly. I use golf to take afternoon naps on a Sunday. I turn on a golf game and woosh! I'm off to sleep. Sleepy

It's like watching paint dry.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
07-04-2017, 02:13 PM
(07-04-2017 11:45 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I used to play a lot of golf, although I was never any good at it. My best 18-hole score was 99, and that was on a relatively short course. On a good day, I could chip and putt reasonably well, but my long shots might go 200 yards or 10 feet, and they could go in any direction (including straight up).

I have a mild interest in professional golf, but have never had any interest in watching it.

I could tell all kinds of stories about my misadventures on the golf course, but I will limit it to two of them:

(1) A lot of people will choose not to use a tee on par 3 holes, since you're using an iron to hit your "drive". I always used a tee, partly to preserve the turf, but this didn't always work. On one of these, I undercut the ball just a wee bit. The divot (with my tee still in it) landed about 10 feet out, and my ball dropped neatly into the bare spot left by the divot.

(2) Another time, I was hitting a 5 wood off the fairway, and I was just starting my downswing when a bee flew very close to my face. I reared back in panic, but somehow still managed to hit the ball. It was one of my best fairway shots ever. Unfortunately, I was never able to hire that bee as a regular trainer/coach.
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
07-04-2017, 02:27 PM
(07-04-2017 02:13 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 11:45 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I used to play a lot of golf, although I was never any good at it. My best 18-hole score was 99, and that was on a relatively short course. On a good day, I could chip and putt reasonably well, but my long shots might go 200 yards or 10 feet, and they could go in any direction (including straight up).

I have a mild interest in professional golf, but have never had any interest in watching it.

I could tell all kinds of stories about my misadventures on the golf course, but I will limit it to two of them:

(1) A lot of people will choose not to use a tee on par 3 holes, since you're using an iron to hit your "drive". I always used a tee, partly to preserve the turf, but this didn't always work. On one of these, I undercut the ball just a wee bit. The divot (with my tee still in it) landed about 10 feet out, and my ball dropped neatly into the bare spot left by the divot.

When one of my buds would do this, someone would say, "You dig pools for a living?"

And when I would hit one of my 325-yard drives I would say, "Anything that flies that far ought to have a flight attendant on it!"

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
07-04-2017, 03:46 PM
(07-04-2017 02:10 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I use golf to take afternoon naps on a Sunday. I turn on a golf game and woosh! I'm off to sleep. Sleepy

It's like watching paint dry.

Although I do take more naps now that I've retired, I typically find golf tournaments too interesting to nap through.

I found watching golf especially helpful during my mild depression after realizing I wasted decades studying mysticism. Watching golf and reading novels both helped divert my attention from my intellectual failings until I could regroup mentally. (I actually read Lord of the Rings twice in a row -- I started it again as soon as I finished. If ever there was a book written for depressives, that was it.)

Shocking
07-04-2017, 07:59 PM
I’m really happy to see Fred Couples and Phil Mickleson up near the top of the leaderboard. I’d love to see one of those two win. I also like Ricky Fowler, Matt Kuchar and Rory McIlroy.