The Meaning Behind My Last Name

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2013, 08:55 PM
RE: The Meaning Behind My Last Name
My surname is of English/irish descent from the term Benedict (blessed) and dates back as far as 1208.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-10-2013, 09:00 PM
(18-10-2013 08:55 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  My surname is of English/irish descent from the term Benedict (blessed) and dates back as far as 1208.

I knew you weren't to be trusted. Dodgy

Smartass

18-10-2013, 09:27 PM
(18-10-2013 08:52 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(18-10-2013 08:47 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Mine is the anglicized form of the Gaelic Mac Alasdair (son of Alasdair) from Scotland and Ireland! Alasdair is the Gaelic version of the first name Alexander.

We first showed up in Ulster as Gallowglasses having been invited by the MacDonnells, or something like that Tongue

If I remember correctly "Mac" (or Mc) means "son of". You are the son of Alexander. You should be out killing some Middle-Easterners and Asians, cutting Gordian knotts, and propagating your status as a demi-god. Drinking Beverage
Tongue

"Is it not a matter for tears that, when the number of worlds is infinite, I have not conquered one?" Weeping

Tongue

19-10-2013, 09:58 AM (This post was last modified: 19-10-2013 10:02 AM by ELK12695.)
In Norway (and Sweden and Denmark for that matter), back a few hundred years, it was common to have your last name named after the farm you were born at. And when people stopped being farmers at one point, they kept the name going. For example, two of my best friends last names are Uthus and Prestemoen. Uthus means "Outhouse" and Prestmoen best direct meaning is "Preist-hill"(priests used to be rich and had big farms right next to the church). But my name is a wierd nut to crack:

Kjølberg

Don't really know what to say, but Kjøl can be associated with Kjøle or Kjølig, which means cooling or cold. And Berg simply means mountain. So, I guess it means:

Even "Cold-Mountain".

Before you make the joke, I know there is a movie by the same name and it's one of my sisters favorite movies, so shut up.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
19-10-2013, 10:23 AM
(19-10-2013 09:58 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  In Norway (and Sweden and Denmark for that matter), back a few hundred years, it was common to have your last name named after the farm you were born at. And when people stopped being farmers at one point, they kept the name going. For example, two of my best friends last names are Uthus and Prestemoen. Uthus means "Outhouse" and Prestmoen best direct meaning is "Preist-hill"(priests used to be rich and had big farms right next to the church). But my name is a wierd nut to crack:

Kjølberg

Don't really know what to say, but Kjøl can be associated with Kjøle or Kjølig, which means cooling or cold. And Berg simply means mountain. So, I guess it means:

Even "Cold-Mountain".
Before you make the joke, I know there is a movie by the same name and it's one of my sisters favorite movies, so shut up.

I just feel sorry for the poor bastard named outhouse. Are you familiar with the American meaning of outhouse?