Poll: There is a "Meaning to Life"
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
The Meaning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2012, 02:32 PM
RE: The Meaning
What was the meaning before this planet and its inhabitant (us) were here???
What will be the meaning in a few billion years time when the earth is gone???

I voted no Smile

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Just because a thing(life) may or may not have intrinsic meaning does not augment or diminish it's significance.

Meaning in life is primarily subjective where human beings are concerned, there is no overall collective meaning. Meaning of life is subjective and relative to each individual.

If you wanted a collective meaning, you should have been born a Bee. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
20-06-2012, 03:58 PM
The only meaning I see is what the meaning we retroactively create. That comes from being able to think about life beyond the here and now. I would vote No since all this "meaning" would be is what we create on our own which is a good thing I may say. Of course you could be Nihilistic and say that self created "meaning" is worthless if you feel so compelled.

I was tempted to say it was something to do with talking fish and Catholic babies but I think I got that from somewhere... or is it to Always look on the bright side of life?... nah pretty sure it's the former. Wink

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
21-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Gwyneth... Big Grin

Here's another question: is it meaningful to say life has no meaning? Tongue

[Image: Look-Out-Schroedingers-Cat-Its-a-Trap.jpg]

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-06-2012, 10:35 AM
(20-06-2012 02:24 PM)Mindlife Wrote:  We give life meaning, yes, meaning must be given, a lump of wood has no meaning but in the right hands it can be a door stop, a rolling pin, a piece of art, we are the givers of meaning so what have we given our selves? The closest I can come is simply to give that meaning the best we can so what we want is what we will strive for so will be the best way we can give that meaning. That is the best i have anyway.

Great answer. Life has whatever meaning you assign to it - the meaning of life is a very personal thing.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
21-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Sigh!
I dunno why this question keeps coming up.
I give youz guyz the answer in each of my postings.
See sig below

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
21-06-2012, 11:46 AM
(21-06-2012 11:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Sigh!
I give youz guyz the answer in each of my postings.

Soooo... who's fault is it that you took two pages to show up, hmmmmmm? Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
21-06-2012, 11:51 AM
The poll has no answer because ether way answering it says yes.

If you want an answer the meaning is the same religions suggest it being "the unknown". No one really finds any profound philosophical leanings from obvious facts, it's all the things that you aren't certain of that seem really meaningful. The reason a statue is suggested to be breathed meaning is that the rock did not say I'm a statue at first. Without needing answers to questions there would be no meaning so the unknown gets to be crowned the meaning.

And I agree DLJ, but I'm not sure everyone reads your posts as is apparent by jw often this question pops up =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
21-06-2012, 12:17 PM
(21-06-2012 11:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Sigh!

So I kan go on about my Gwynnies, silly. Obviously your meaning is less meaningful than my meaning. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-06-2012, 12:29 PM
(21-06-2012 11:51 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  The poll has no answer because ether way answering it says yes.
Um...Did I miss something? I always thought Yes and No were opposites. Confused

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel