Poll: There is a "Meaning to Life"
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
The Meaning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2012, 01:30 PM
The Meaning
When it comes to the meaning of life many religious will say that it is to serve X or Y and to follow holy book A or B, but but even when I did believe I still knew there was more, or rather less a whole book is too much for something like this. So I have been thinking for along time on this issue (and others) So my question to you is what is the meaning of life? is there a meaning to life? and one that has come to me after a bit of thought what is meaning?

It is important to question all. But it is more important to accept and use the answers for what they are and not what you think or want them to be.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2012, 01:44 PM
RE: The Meaning
I don't know why you ask us. We are just as unlikely to know as you are, but I doubt there is any.
You do what makes you happy, end of.

[Image: opforum1.png]
20-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Survive, reproduce, and continue to survive in order to help your offspring reproduce.

If you choose not to reproduce then: survive, help others survive, and pass on a little bit of yourself to other people via your interaction with them.

Or some combination of the 2.

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
20-06-2012, 01:55 PM
I ask because a simple opinion can go along way, and I ask you lot because why not? in this area we are all as qualified as each other a little can go along way, so thanks for the idea.

It is important to question all. But it is more important to accept and use the answers for what they are and not what you think or want them to be.

20-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Life itself has no inherent meaning or purpose really. "Meaning" and purpose is based solely on what is relative to us (singularly and collectively) at any given moment.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
[+] 1 user Likes Dragon-Wolf's post
20-06-2012, 02:01 PM
(20-06-2012 01:54 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Survive, reproduce, and continue to survive in order to help your offspring reproduce.

If you choose not to reproduce then: survive, help others survive, and pass on a little bit of yourself to other people via your interaction with them.

Or some combination of the 2.
The biological reason for life and for practical sense an broad answer, but I always think that these are a ways of achieving a simpler meaning, getting a bit deep there but why not thanks for the idea

20-06-2012, 02:06 PM
(20-06-2012 01:56 PM)Dragon-Wolf Wrote:  Life itself has no inherent meaning or purpose really. "Meaning" and purpose is based solely on what is relative to us (singularly and collectively) at any given moment.
A good point though i think it (meaning) can be traced back but the practical more general and specific day to day meaning of us is relative to us, so what would the meaning be relative to life as a whole is my question

20-06-2012, 02:11 PM
If you believe in some sort of external force that created the universe then I suppose you could say it has meaning. But as an atheist, there is nothing beyond our physical universe, therefore no meaning except for that which we give it.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
20-06-2012, 02:21 PM
There's no real need for a meaning.

I will live my life, be a generic nice asshole, and die.

Other guy will live his life, be a generic asshole, and die. Some guys attain heights of assholery which are memorable... but it means nothing in the end. It affects history sure, so in that sense your deeds do live on. But... meaning? Not much.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
20-06-2012, 02:24 PM
(20-06-2012 02:11 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  If you believe in some sort of external force that created the universe then I suppose you could say it has meaning. But as an atheist, there is nothing beyond our physical universe, therefore no meaning except for that which we give it.
We give life meaning, yes, meaning must be given, a lump of wood has no meaning but in the right hands it can be a door stop, a rolling pin, a piece of art, we are the givers of meaning so what have we given our selves? The closest I can come is simply to give that meaning the best we can so what we want is what we will strive for so will be the best way we can give that meaning. That is the best i have anyway.

[+] 2 users Like Mindlife's post