The Meek Shall Inherit The Earth...So Don't Worry About How We're Fucking You Over

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2014, 10:19 PM
RE: The Meek Shall Inherit The Earth...So Don't Worry About How We're Fucking You Over
(27-06-2014 09:19 AM)δοῦλος Wrote:  
(27-06-2014 07:28 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  "The Meek Shall Inherit the Earth!" A favorite saying of Bible thumping Republicans and the church in general. Of course, the true message behind this is "Don't question anything and don't worry about being poor. The Bible says the meek shall inherit the Earth so there is no reason to be concerned about how we are fucking you over right now!" I hear religious people quote this quite often. They like it because it gives them this false hope that they will be rewarded in for being poor in their present life.

The reason that the people that quote it most often are church leaders and Bible thumping Republicans is because they're reaping all the benefits right now. It's like the biggest religious scam ever. "Don't worry that my rich cronies and I are raking in millions and keep fucking over the rest of you, because you'll be rewarded when the end comes! The Bible says so!" That's why Republicans loooove religion! There is no better control tool than religion to keep the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer!

Much of what you say is true.

There are indeed people who love religion in America because it is a tool they can use in their pursuit to obtain and maintain power and control over people.

In fact this is not unique to America. I do not think it would be too far fetched to say that wherever Christianity has spread, there have been those who use it as a tool for procuring power and control and wealth.

This applies not only to Christianity, but religion in general. The caste system of Hinduism comes to mind.

In fact this idea of people using a set of principles and or beliefs as tools for acquiring power and control and influence is not unique to religion. For we are all aware of the numerous accounts of the irreligious who have used various non-religious ideologies as tools in their pursuit of power and influence.

And even if we return to the topic of politics in America even liberal Democrats use at times as a tool, the very same Bible conservatives use.

So it seems to me that people from all walks of life and all types of beliefs and all types of various political affiliations are capable of using religion, non-religious ideologies and other views as tools for procuring power and control over people.

I wasn't, by any means, implying that this only applies to politics in the U.S. Religion has been used as a control tool for thousands of years all over the world, and has hindered our progression so badly that I can't even imagine how much more advanced our present day society would be if religion had never played any part in our history.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2014, 08:57 PM
RE: The Meek Shall Inherit The Earth...So Don't Worry About How We're Fucking You Over
(27-06-2014 06:11 PM)Ecce Homo Wrote:  Those speaking in the spirit of the New Testament Church would reply with one accord:

"Sir you are mistaken. For all that we have we even now use for the glory of God. Much of what we have we give to those who are truly in need so that those of us who have, might be able to share with those who do not have and what is leftover is used to pay our rent for our little building we meet in."

Those speaking in the spirit of the world with its "prosperity gospel" would reply with one accord:

Sounds really nice until you look at their books and see what they're REALLY doing with the money.

Facepalm

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
29-06-2014, 09:34 PM
Before we make too many sweeping generalization, I grew up a preacher's kid, and we didn't see dime more than what it took to survive. I dunno, were we "true christians"? All the money we ever saw actually went to helping others, we were all poor as shit.

The megachurches make me sick, but as much as I hate what religion does, I have to be honest and stick up for those of us who, whether deluded or not, did our best with the little we had to do the best we could for our fellow man, regardless of the motivation.

My father is a good man, and he has sacrificed his own and my happiness for the sake of others in need too many times for me not to have learned a lesson in humanity. And I can still appreciate that he taught me to be a good human being first and foremost, regardless of the motivation.

Religion may take the credit and that might be false, but let's not push everyone under the bus because I deserve to be there along with a lot of other well meaning, genuine people.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
29-06-2014, 09:58 PM
(29-06-2014 09:34 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Before we make too many sweeping generalization, I grew up a preacher's kid, and we didn't see dime more than what it took to survive. I dunno, were we "true christians"? All the money we ever saw actually went to helping others, we were all poor as shit.

The megachurches make me sick, but as much as I hate what religion does, I have to be honest and stick up for those of us who, whether deluded or not, did our best with the little we had to do the best we could for our fellow man, regardless of the motivation.

My father is a good man, and he has sacrificed his own and my happiness for the sake of others in need too many times for me not to have learned a lesson in humanity. And I can still appreciate that he taught me to be a good human being first and foremost, regardless of the motivation.

Religion may take the credit and that might be false, but let's not push everyone under the bus because I deserve to be there along with a lot of other well meaning, genuine people.

Yes, that is true in many, many cases, and kudos to you and your family for doing it right.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
29-06-2014, 10:13 PM
(29-06-2014 09:34 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Before we make too many sweeping generalization, I grew up a preacher's kid, and we didn't see dime more than what it took to survive. I dunno, were we "true christians"? All the money we ever saw actually went to helping others, we were all poor as shit.

Yes, it is not all religious organizations that act this way,. It's much more the megachurches, as opposed to the average small town ones. IMO the ones most guilty of using this particular saying as a control tool are politicians, many of whom want to keep the poor where they are and keeping the fat cats on top reaping all the benefits.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
30-06-2014, 04:43 AM
RE: The Meek Shall Inherit The Earth...
I like the Sisters of Mercy's variation on the beautitudes in Under the Gun

"the first are last, the blessed get wired
the best is yet to come
I put my finger on and fired
heat-seeking, out of the sun
you can set the controls for the heart or the knees
and the meek'll inherit what they damn well please"

Thumbsup

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson