The "Middle class" ruse in politics... OP/ED

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2015, 12:55 PM
The "Middle class" ruse in politics... OP/ED
OP/ED......

The Insidious use of the term "Middle Class" in politics....... Don't get me wrong, outside the top everyone is getting hit hard. Democratic voters care about the stability of all workers. But this is one key ruse term the top uses to pit middle class republicans vs middle class democrats, not to mention republican poor vs democrat poor. We need to stop letting the GOP and the corporate overlords that term as a wedge issue.

Any scientist can tell you, it isn't the strongest points, or the middle points in a structure that are most likely to break, but the weakest points. I think we need to stop putting it in terms of "Middle Class". Yes there are three classes, and no one should think we should rid our society of that diversity. But it really is as simple as "A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link".

By allowing middle class voters of both parties to get pitted against each other, it allows the poor to drop further down and that pay gap hurts everyone and pulls more down which affects the "middle class". Instead of saying "Middle class", we need to put the responsibility where it its, at the top, the pay gap. The 1% is stepping on the necks of everyone else, and the way they get away with doing that is to pit everyone else against each other.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2015, 02:21 PM
RE: The "Middle class" ruse in politics... OP/ED
(29-05-2015 12:55 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  OP/ED......

The Insidious use of the term "Middle Class" in politics....... Don't get me wrong, outside the top everyone is getting hit hard. Democratic voters care about the stability of all workers. But this is one key ruse term the top uses to pit middle class republicans vs middle class democrats, not to mention republican poor vs democrat poor. We need to stop letting the GOP and the corporate overlords that term as a wedge issue.

Any scientist can tell you, it isn't the strongest points, or the middle points in a structure that are most likely to break, but the weakest points. I think we need to stop putting it in terms of "Middle Class". Yes there are three classes, and no one should think we should rid our society of that diversity. But it really is as simple as "A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link".

By allowing middle class voters of both parties to get pitted against each other, it allows the poor to drop further down and that pay gap hurts everyone and pulls more down which affects the "middle class". Instead of saying "Middle class", we need to put the responsibility where it its, at the top, the pay gap. The 1% is stepping on the necks of everyone else, and the way they get away with doing that is to pit everyone else against each other.

Are there really 3 distinct classes? I'd love to see an income/wealth normal distribution curve; better yet, a historical progression.

By top 1%, are you referring to income or wealth?

If it is not income/wealth, then it will be some other divisive topic used as a tool for control. It is the back edge of the sword in a democracy, especially in a two-party system. Those in power will always use whatever methods are available to polarize and motivate voters in their favor. The most effective methods tend to be manipulating emotions such as fear and anger. The feeling of being wronged, treated unjustly, or stolen from plays to both fear and anger and can generate intense hatred that limits our ability to reason. Once we abandon the higher mental functions of reason and logic, we become easily controlled voter-bots.

Many of those with high incomes are being manipulated just as much as those with lower incomes.

The difference is that those who have the ability to control the rules tend to favor their own interests. If you think either party's politicians or voters are immune to this behavior, you should step back and reevaluate.

One way to help reduce this effect is to level the playing field for political candidates so that the ability to participate does not require as much wealth to compete. Corporate contributions to campaigns should be completely eliminated. Only individuals should be able to contribute... essentially, if you can't vote, you can't contribute.

Just my thoughts...

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
Find all posts by this user
29-05-2015, 02:51 PM
I don't understand what you mean by "If you cant vote you cant contribute"?

No matter your pay, and even if you have a physical disability, someone can roll you into the voting booth and you can punch a card, pull a leaver or hit a touch screen.

I wouldn't put it that way. I would put it like "If you don't have money, fuck you" And that is pretty much what big money has done to our political system.

Everyone can contribute, it is just that some think money equals morality and by proxy only those who make it are moral.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-05-2015, 03:13 PM
(29-05-2015 02:51 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  I don't understand what you mean by "If you cant vote you cant contribute"?

He means non-voting entities - from old-fashioned trade unions and religious groups to latter day "political action committees" - should be barred from making political donations.

(I think - correct me if I'm wrong)

... this is my signature!
29-05-2015, 03:14 PM
For that matter, the term "middle class" has been so thoroughly abused that about 80-90% of Americans self-identify as "middle class", when by any sane percentile basis (adjusting to income, wealth, or the like) would generously say no more than half could possibly be.

... this is my signature!
29-05-2015, 05:10 PM
(29-05-2015 03:13 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(29-05-2015 02:51 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  I don't understand what you mean by "If you cant vote you cant contribute"?

He means non-voting entities - from old-fashioned trade unions and religious groups to latter day "political action committees" - should be barred from making political donations.

(I think - correct me if I'm wrong)

That is indeed the correct interpretation. I had to rush the last part of my commentary and after re-reading, I can see that some of my statements were poorly worded.

The conundrum is that only a tiny minority of those in power would be willing to tear down the system that put them in power in the first place. And more than half of those that supported it would not be doing it for the good of the people, but rather because they would somehow benefit politically by it.
Further, those who wield the power, i.e., the large corporations and the very wealthy would spare nothing in their lobby to fight such a change as it endangers their ability to influence the rule makers to keep the rules leaning in their favor. And trust me, you would see both Dems and Reps both fighting together against this type of reform. Both parties have their big money donors whom they depend upon to get elected. Any politician who pushed this agenda would be risking cutting off the hand that feeds them.
The only other way to address this is to somehow reduce the impact of advertising on our society. We all know that all the media we consume is driven and enabled by advertising dollars. This is because of the way our brains work and the marketing value of an impression.
Social media is leveling the playing field to some degree in that it provides a voice for everyone. But, once you get to the point that everyone is yelling, who gets heard? Who is benefiting from all the noise? The ones who sell the little square of space that sits right next to every post you read on Facebook and those who can afford to buy them. For every 10,000 people shouting their views to their 1000 followers, one voice is making 10,000,000 impressions. Not to mention the value of all that personal information, tendencies and interests, and demographics that create a gold mine of data. Data that is then used to manipulate you into buying diamond rings, new cars, bigger houses, and tastier food. The more you buy, the more wealth is created.

It may sound like I think there is some big conspiracy going on. On the contrary, I think it is just a result of a complex network of human brains interacting with one another and doing what they do to each other and the world around us while operating within a set of parameters. Some of these parameters are mostly fixed or bounded by the laws of physics, biological constraints and resource availability. Others are man-made (through societal norms that manifest as culture, laws, and religion) and fluctuate over time in a giant feedback loop. The interesting thing about feedback loops is that they can be damped (i.e., essentially balanced), under-damped (resulting in things like world wars and massive revolutions), or overdamped (resulting in oppression, stagnation, and possibly even death by attrition).

Now for the promising part: since all humans (well, most of them anyway) are beings with a sense of consciousness, we have the ability to become aware of the results of the feedback loop and to build on our collective knowledge of how nature, both human and non-human, reacts to changes in the parameters. Then, given the right circumstances, we can make tweaks to some of those man-made parameters or find alternate processing paths to minimize the effects parameters that we cannot change. All the world and all the people in it are one big giant system that is now more interconnected than ever before. Unless (or until) we happen to cross paths a giant space rock or our sun burns out the earth and the system will go on and seek its balance with or without our help. That balance may or may not include us or most of any of the life we recognize. And yet, even if that doomsday astronomical event happens, we could have by then expanded our ability to influence the system beyond our planet or even expanded the great network of humanity out beyond Earth and live to continue on.

Shocking

Wait... What the hell just happened? Good god almighty I just spent entirely too much time writing that drivel. Oh well, too much invested in it to not post it now (hint: example one of those easily manipulated fallacies of the human brain). Geez, I gotta stop it

TTFN

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart