The Military Atheists!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2011, 10:28 PM
The Military Atheists!
So I'm leaving in hopefully september for basic training. I'm looking forward to going cavalry. So I have been told by multiple other soldiers that "when the bullets start flying, you'll start praying". How many of you are military atheists, and have you been in a situation where you prayed to a god you knew you didn't believe in?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2011, 11:00 PM
RE: The Military Atheists!
(18-08-2011 10:28 PM)BGrambo Wrote:  I'm looking forward to going cavalry.

Cavalry good. Calvary bad.

Contrary to popular belief, there are plenty of atheists in foxholes.

http://www.atheistnexus.org/forum/topics...a-hero-for

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
18-08-2011, 11:23 PM
My father, my husband, and myself all served in the USAF and we are all atheists. There are many atheists in the military, in fact I am part of MAAF (Military Association of Atheist Freethinkers).

If you are joining the US military feel free to PM for some links to atheist/free thinker military clubs and associations, just remember, you are not alone!

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
19-08-2011, 12:53 AM
(18-08-2011 10:28 PM)BGrambo Wrote:  So I'm leaving in hopefully september for basic training. I'm looking forward to going cavalry. So I have been told by multiple other soldiers that "when the bullets start flying, you'll start praying". How many of you are military atheists, and have you been in a situation where you prayed to a god you knew you didn't believe in?

I've never once prayed. When shit hits the fan, the last thing you think of is praying. You think of your training and your loved ones before you think of anything else. That is a fact. When your in BT though, go to church services. It's quiet time and you can have a moment of relaxation.

On my DT's my religion is 'Jedi' though. So I guess I am a believer in something!
[+] 2 users Like Monk's post
19-08-2011, 01:21 AM
I was actually a chapel guide at BT Tongue.

If you go to church you don't have to go to 'church'... there are many different options you have, including the Buddhist service which is always nice, it focuses on mediation and calmness.

Technically the government defines atheism as a belief, so you should get two hours a week (for study and practice) of your beliefs...

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
19-08-2011, 04:39 AM
Hmmm, that is a good technicality for the government, if they didn't treat atheism that way, that means everybody would get 2 hours off, but since we don't believe, we would do push-ups for those 2 hours. It's much better this way. But I would like to see how I could practice atheism... I strongly wouldn't believe in anything for 2 hours, I would try that stronger than during the rest of my life?

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
19-08-2011, 05:27 AM
You can calm down. Like Monk said.
But another question: Why are you fighting? For what?
19-08-2011, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2011 10:37 AM by ghostexorcist.)
(18-08-2011 10:28 PM)BGrambo Wrote:  So I'm leaving in hopefully september for basic training. I'm looking forward to going cavalry. So I have been told by multiple other soldiers that "when the bullets start flying, you'll start praying". How many of you are military atheists, and have you been in a situation where you prayed to a god you knew you didn't believe in?

I served in the US Army 82nd Airborne Division for three years. I didn't pray when the pain from "smokings" made me cry. I didn't pray when I jumped out of my first perfectly good airplane. I didn't even pray when I was painted a target overseas. Those seemingly irreligious people who only pray in times of duress are really just agnostics. The thing that kept me going was my army buddies, my training, and thoughts of my family.

(19-08-2011 12:53 AM)Monk Wrote:  When your in BT though, go to church services. It's quiet time and you can have a moment of relaxation.

On my DT's my religion is 'Jedi' though. So I guess I am a believer in something!

I'll admit that I did the same thing. I did it because of the relaxing environment and THE FOOD! The place I went to spread out a huge feast every Sunday evening. Much better than the limited array of food you only have 30 seconds to eat in BT.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-08-2011, 12:09 PM
There are a lot of military members on this site. I think the last count was about 30. I'll just reiterate what was already said. In Basic, sign up for as many religious services as you can. You get to go sit on comfy pews and pretty much sleep for hours, both of which are unheard of in basic. I even volunteered to sing in the choir because you would get cookies and punch afterwards, both of which again are unheard of. And I don't know how it is anywhere else, but at Ft Knox there are no chairs and you aren't allowed to touch your perfectly made bed, so any downtime you have is to be spent cleaning, reading your field manual, or reading your bible. So I choose the book of fiction with lots of entertaining stories. I probably read through the bible about 5 times during basic.

As far as the "when sh!t hits the fan you'll start praying" thing, that's just untrue and a revealing glimpse into a christian's true motives for believing: fear. I got hit with an IED probably once every 2 days in Ramadi, and you do the same thing every time. You recover from blacking out, pretend it wasn't you that screamed like a girl, make sure everyone is alright, then you think about your family. And when you hear a bullet fly past your head, personally I was too busy being pissed that some piece of shit goat herder on a suicide mission from his imaginary friend just tried to kill me.

When people are dying, they all mention the same thing: their mother.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
19-08-2011, 12:18 PM
(18-08-2011 11:00 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Contrary to popular belief, there are plenty of atheists in foxholes.

IMO, there are no religious people in foxholes. If you think your god has your back, what the hell do you need a foxhole for?

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you