The Mormon Golden plates...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2012, 06:21 AM
The Mormon Golden plates...
I recently had a discussion with a coworker (The other part of the discussion is in another thread) and we touched down are the Mormon faith, hers.

Now I thought it was accepted through the mormons that the golden plates were returned to the angel when Joseph was done translating them, but she claims the church still has them. I ask, then why haven't they said anything about it? "They have!" She said. I ask, "Well why haven't they revealed them when asked?" then she returns "The Church has them and will not release them because why should they? People don't need to see them, they have faith, and if they did see them it was destroy their faith."

As you can imagine and from previous comment I have made on this forum, this is where I stop the arguments, pointless past this when one's reasoning it so warped it will wrap around jungle gyms just to connect the dots. I just decided to bring this little jewel to the light guys so you would know. The golden plates are still here on this planet and they are in a church somewhere. 30-60 pounds of gold, happy hunting.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2012, 06:48 AM
RE: The Mormon Golden plates...
Proof could only strengthen faith. If it was destroying their faith then either they never had faith to begin with or the plates disprove their beleifs somehow. I think this is another case of a religious follower not knowing much about their own faith. something thats all to common.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
20-01-2012, 07:04 AM
(20-01-2012 06:48 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Proof could only strengthen faith. If it was destroying their faith then either they never had faith to begin with or the plates disprove their beleifs somehow. I think this is another case of a religious follower not knowing much about their own faith. something thats all to common.

I don't believe she was thinking that, but it exactly would be the case. If said golden plates were some actual physical item they likely would be not what John Smith claimed them to be and notable by looking at them.

It's the same story across so many places such as in Ethiopia. They claim King Soloman gave their Queen the Ark of the Covenant and they have it... but no you can't possibly go see it.
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
20-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Quote:then she returns "The Church has them and will not release them because why should they? People don't need to see them, they have faith, and if they did see them it was destroy their faith."

I think South Park covered this specific aspect of their faith rather well...

20-01-2012, 08:40 AM
(20-01-2012 06:21 AM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  I recently had a discussion with a coworker (The other part of the discussion is in another thread) and we touched down are the Mormon faith, hers.

Now I thought it was accepted through the mormons that the golden plates were returned to the angel when Joseph was done translating them, but she claims the church still has them. I ask, then why haven't they said anything about it? "They have!" She said. I ask, "Well why haven't they revealed them when asked?" then she returns "The Church has them and will not release them because why should they? People don't need to see them, they have faith, and if they did see them it was destroy their faith."

As you can imagine and from previous comment I have made on this forum, this is where I stop the arguments, pointless past this when one's reasoning it so warped it will wrap around jungle gyms just to connect the dots. I just decided to bring this little jewel to the light guys so you would know. The golden plates are still here on this planet and they are in a church somewhere. 30-60 pounds of gold, happy hunting.

I'm quite sure she's ignorant of the teachings of her own religion. Of course, their ideas are so wacky, it might be hard to get them all straight.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-01-2012, 08:45 AM
(20-01-2012 08:40 AM)Chas Wrote:  I'm quite sure she's ignorant of the teachings of her own religion. Of course, their ideas are so wacky, it might be hard to get them all straight.

Marry lots of chicks, reproduce like crazy, indoctrinate, repeat. What's wacky about that?
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
20-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Anyone else clicked here to see what "The Moron Golden plates"? are and only then realized it says "Mormon" ??

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
20-01-2012, 10:49 AM
NSV, if you're not aware of it, you should know that Mormon's are a different breed of cat from other christian religions. It is much more cult-like than any breed of catholic, methodist, baptist, presby, lutheran etc. Most mormons only have close contact with other mormons, and thus information and knowledge is very closed and controlled. In any case, your friend has got it wrong about the church's claims about the plates, which is that founder Joseph Smith returned them to the angel Moroni, and their current whereabouts is unknown.
20-01-2012, 12:37 PM
(20-01-2012 10:49 AM)Jeff Wrote:  NSV, if you're not aware of it, you should know that Mormon's are a different breed of cat from other christian religions. It is much more cult-like than any breed of catholic, methodist, baptist, presby, lutheran etc. Most mormons only have close contact with other mormons, and thus information and knowledge is very closed and controlled.

I still maintain that Mormonism is more like Islam than it is like Christianity.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post